Thread: Anyone building Aroha?

Default Anyone building Aroha?

The Off Center Harbor has posted a couple of videos about building the new version of Whio. The Brooklyn Boat Yard is apparently building one for a client. Is anyone who reads this forum building one ? I'd sure like to follow along.

https://www.offcenterharbor.com/vide...ampaign=aWeber

https://www.offcenterharbor.com/vide...ampaign=aWeber

Todd

Default Re: Anyone building Aroha?

That design is beyond gorgeous and really speaks to be. Unfortunately, it's beyond me budget and skillset.

Started watching OCH series. Looking fwd to more

A good friend, next town over, has kit #2 and will be starting the build shortly. He doesn't post here but I will be checking in to see his progress. His son works at Brooklyn Boat Yard so he'll have some quality help.
    Steve B
    Sjogin IIIa
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

+1. I'd like to build (or have built) an open, outboard-in-a-well version of it someday when we've outlived our current boat and want something to pass on to our children that they can care for and maintain themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

That boat design cries out for a tripple expansion steam engine!
    Jay

Or an electric inboard, which would be at least as traditional as the steam engine...

- Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

I would love to see how that propeller would work with an electric. Seems like it would be a perfect fit!
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Z. View Post
    I would love to see how that propeller would work with an electric. Seems like it would be a perfect fit!
    It would work very well with a low revving electric motor especially given the much flatter torque curve they provide

Quote Originally Posted by SBrookman View Post
    A good friend, next town over, has kit #2 and will be starting the build shortly. He doesn't post here but I will be checking in to see his progress. His son works at Brooklyn Boat Yard so he'll have some quality help.
    I'd like to see your posts. The OCH videos are great but the more the merrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve TN 15 View Post
    It would work very well with a low revving electric motor especially given the much flatter torque curve they provide
    Yes, I should think so. I also think you would get decent speed with less draw, increasing range/battery life. But that might just be hope on my part. It's an area where I have little experience/skill, but great interest. Experimenting would be good, but I have no idea where to start. Makes me wish I was still in Newport where I could pick the brains of the NUWC guys. Long term goal would be a prop like that on a hull like Tad Roberts' Yellow Cedar, with a hybrid setup. But right now that's just a dream.
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

Jprattww, the build and your shop are gorgeous - well done, sir. And that is one lucky (grand)kid to have a swing in the boatshop !!

Rick

That looks terrific. I hope you will post updates as you get among with it. Did you start with the kit or the mylar patterns? It looks like you are doing a fine job. Keep it up.

Todd

Very nice Mr Pratt. I hope you keep posting. I’ve just received my plans and would love to see one going together.

Holy cow!
    What a shop!

Quote Originally Posted by timo4352 View Post
    Holy cow!
    What a shop!
    You are one of many admirers...
    Interesting the mix of moulds and frames. I assume one cuts out the OSB bits when the hull is turned?

I started with plans and a kit, which produced the assembly in the first picture I posted above. Ultimately all of the OSB bits will be cut away along "engraved" lines in the plywood to which the OSB is attached. Those lines were produced when the kit parts were cut on a CNC router. Some of the OSB structure provides molds for the topside structure after the hull is turned over. Then that OSB also will be removed.

I'm so pleased for Pete, this is great to see.
    I drove Whio for a bit way back... About 2008 I think, yep .. at the classic boat event on Lake Rotoiti, South Island. We ran across the Lake at 19 knots,
    I had photos and thread at the time, pics lost now of course. That was an epic expedition for Pete and Paul Gilbert as it was. Paul is the photographer who took that terrific Woodenboat cover shot, I was very sad to hear of his passing last year, we'd been out of touch overseas.
    They'd towed Whio from Auckland to the South Island behind a small truck, then toured the Sounds and Northern coast before heading inland to the festival. Pretty remarkable really, she's a big for a trailer boat.
    The last time I saw Whio was maybe late 18 sailing up the coast from Auckland heading for the Bay of Islands. Pete and Daniel had seen me in the distance so hid behind sail rock.. came charging out as a surprise.. pirates. Sail rock is about 5 or 8 miles off the coast , they'd launched at Mangawhai for a day trip.
    20181216_110610.jpg

20181216_110617.jpg

Great boat , terrific to see this thread.

John, overlooking Aroha island as I type.
    Last edited by John B; 11-28-2020 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    Do you have a link?

- Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!