Thread: Any tricks or bit recommendations for boring existing pinrail holes larger?

Default Any tricks or bit recommendations for boring existing pinrail holes larger?

Do you guys have any drillbit recommendations and or tips for getting a good clean straight bore out of existing pinrail holes? We are beefing up the belaying pins on the boat I work on and the new pins are ready but I wanted to sound the waters here to see what you guys would use.

Cheers

Ryan

Default Re: Any tricks or bit recommendations for boring existing pinrail holes larger?

you can drill a block of wood about 4 inches thick on a pillar drill then clamp the block over the hole as a guide, or use a magnetic pillar drill above the rail

Default Re: Any tricks or bit recommendations for boring existing pinrail holes larger?

Or you can epoxy in a plug, then re-bore using a conventional bit.

All those work, so does a twist drill, or for a belaying pinhole you could probably use a. router jig

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Yes, the pre-drilled block of wood on top and a solid scrap on the bottom to avoid blowout at the exit and use a forstner bit, known for their very clean boring. Repeat...clamp a piece at the exit to avoid blowout, a fresh piece for each hole.

This type of forstner...

I've had success using stepped drills to enlarge existing holes. In your case you would need to find one that finishes out at the right diameter but they do seem to come in a lot of sizes.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Another couple:

If you’re only going up 1/8” or so, put a dowel in the existing hole and use it to guide a hole saw.

If the holes are regularly spaced, a guide block for a Forster bit (or hole saw) could be clamped with bolts through neighboring holes.

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post

I've had success using stepped drills to enlarge existing holes. In your case you would need to find one that finishes out at the right diameter but they do seem to come in a lot of sizes.
    I have had success with using these step bits to start and get centered, then switching to the bit you really want to use.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post

I like these too. If the piece is thin enough to fit one of the steps those drills are really nice. They do not grab like a twist drill so are easy to do by hand, and they follow the centering of the existing hole.

your can use a block of wood that has been drilled on a drill press to accept the drill as Peter mentions in post #2 or use a Rockler guide that does the same thing. https://www.rockler.com/jig-it-drill...=US&sid=V91040
    Are the pins metal or wood?
    Jay