Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Rebuilding a Carvel Hull - Please Help!

Default Re: Rebuilding a Carvel Hull - Please Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Hard to judge on the oregon based on what you’re saying as to how well you can rip it down for spars and it also depends on how you intend to make the spars - are you thinking of making them as birdsmouth spars?

Some small holes can cut out and dutchman repaired with like timber but filling the holes with epoxy or something won’t work. It sounds more like you may get a number of short lengths either side of the holes but you could scarf pieces together for the length that you need, just make sure that the joins are well staggered in the finished spar.

If the inwales are Oregon and you’re replacing a short piece of it you’d be better to stick with the same timber. If you’re replacing the whole thing you could happily replace it like for like but if quantity is an issue and you have access to something more durable that will take the shape there’s no reason why you can’t use something else. Some Oz hardwoods don’t steam bend too well so you’ll need to experiment to see what you can do with what you have or consider ripping lengths down to a thinner more malleable size and laminating them in place.

You’ll find plenty of use for the orgegon either way, you’ll be able to use offcuts for any additional framing such as seat and locker frames, deck beams etc.

Thanks again Larks.

I went back to the store and managed to swap the two pieces for a nice, unused, piece 140 x 90 x 6700. It was more expensive but I feel better with it after what you said.

Yeah, I would love to make birdsmouth spars, I'm not sure that I have the skills to be able to pull it off but maybe I will when the time comes. I haven't actually got much of a plan regarding the rig. The old aluminum single piece mast (29ft) and boom is available but I really want to use a timber gaff, gunter or lug rig. The only rough plan at the moment is to find a boat with a hull that is similar in dimensions, weight and shape and borrow the rig design. The closest thing I have seen so far, that I like, is Francois Vivier's Stir Ven.

Default Re: Rebuilding a Carvel Hull - Please Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Slacko View Post
    I would just paint the inside with good quality single pack marine paint, especially if you are dealing with tar.
    Thanks, I'm having better luck with the tar taking a different approach.