Thread: Keel depth in Contessa 26

Default Keel depth in Contessa 26

https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/d/o...205656452.html

Not the seller; just have a question about the lines.

Still a novice to boats and haven’t done the math.

I noticed the depth of the keel on this Contessa relative to the “sides” and freeboard of the hull. The proportion of keel seems much greater than most of the boats I see, mostly Tally Ho on YouTube. Also, Atkins and Gartside designs. I have some Gartside study prints.

I also seem to recollect that the Contessa has an excellent reputation as a blue-water passage and circumnavigation boat.

So, I’m asking the experts here, is my impression of the keel being a greater proportion of the draft and freeboard than many other designs correct? And, if so, does this contribute to the Contessa’s blue-water reputation, if indeed that recollection is correct.

Thanks.

Default Re: Keel depth in Contessa 26

Nothing untoward with that, standard proportions for a boat of her period and size. Tally Ho is very much larger and older, so she is no guide.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Many many boats have deeper draft than height of freeboard. I recon ALL "full keel " boats do.
    The Contessa is a good boat for a novice, she can keep you out of trouble.

Is not the Contessa an offspring of the Scandinavian Folkboat? No better recommendation. There is a book titled "Contessa" by a lady that took one around the world. I am going to read it sometime.

Someone recently fixed up a Contessa 26 and solo sailed across the Atlantic and back on a low budget. He was intending to circumnavigate but plans changed. I haven't watched too many of the videos but you might enjoy them. I watched the intro/prep video and a few of the passage videos, especially the heavy weather sailing.

https://www.youtube.com/c/SailingWaveRover/videos

Enjoy!

Edit* This is also worth reading http://bluewaterboats.org/contessa-26

Well built and seaworthy boats.Of their time in many ways, but by today's standards none too spacious below.

I think the moulds sent to Canada included a self draining cockpit, most of the Uk ones don't. If I remember he started building ply cold molded international folkboats then sawed the bottom keel flat so it would sit upright and jacked the hull apart to increase beam and displacement then made a new top. It wasn't built from plans as such. A bit naughty but he was young at the time and it would be sufficiently different from an IF, but that's the origin. The UK ones are tough little boats. Thick laminates. Loads have circumnavigated. That one for sale has no inboard. Even if I was happy with that, it would limit resale. Jeremy is a nice guy. I'd love a Contessa 32, but can't really justify the moorage costs. A very pretty boat the 32 in and out the water. Lead keel on that one, I think the 26 wast cast iron. Beside depth of keel regarding foil/ leeway etc, the type of ballast has a bearing, a lead keel will put it's center of gravity lower for the same weight, so a cast iron keel would have to be a tad deeper or wider for the same righting moment. I think the canadian ones sometimes had lead keels rather than cast iron. Something to check. The mast head rig is alot stronger than the folkboat rig and can hoist a big spinnaker if that's your thing for light air work. At this age and size, it can be best to buy one that's had a new engine, sails, refurb etc rather than buy a very tired one, unless it's very cheap or you want the work. The 26 molds don't exist anymore in the UK, but Jeremy has the 32's still and can make a new boat or sell a hull. He refurbs them too in Lymington. If your looking for a small crusier, the Vancouver 27 is worth hunting down. They made some in canada as well as UK.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 10-07-2020 at 04:31 AM.

That boat and it's equipment tick all the boxes for me. Esp. the tiny tot stove! Maybe ditch the outboard and fit a yuloh.

The book ahp refers to is "Maiden Voyage, " by Tania Aebi. It's a good read.

Mike

I have a signed copy of Tania book. I went to a lecture and had her sign it afterwards, years and years ago. Brian Caldwell of Hawaii also took one around.

They're pretty small down below, and I would be miserable, but I'm a big guy.