Thread: SS-5000A silicone anti-fouling?

Default SS-5000A silicone anti-fouling?

I thought there was a thread about this, but I can't find it. This stuff claims to keep underwater stuff clear of growth and not leech poison in the water. Has anyone used it? Does it work? I am not a racer so I don't care if it's race-legal. If you use it can you get it off and later paint?

Ken

Default Re: SS-5000A silicone anti-fouling?

Reading their website, it seems that unlike a lot of products which contain small amounts of silicone, this stuff must be more like a thinner version of the real deal silicone sealers which you can buy in tubes. I suspect that eventually trying to paint over surfaces which had ever been coated with it could be extremely problematic - fish-eye-city. I couldn't find any reference to the typical amount of coverage you get, but at $300 per gallon, hopefully it spreads out quite well. I also didn't see anything about how long it is effective or what happens when it is time to recoat it. Having personally started with modified epoxy antifouling, then switched to vinyl-based types (after sanding) and finally to water-based ablatives (after sanding again) there is no way I'd ever go back to something which stinks of solvent or which doesn't gradually remove itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    Reading their website, it seems that unlike a lot of products which contain small amounts of silicone, this stuff must be more like a thinner version of the real deal silicone sealers which you can buy in tubes. I suspect that eventually trying to paint over surfaces which had ever been coated with it could be extremely problematic - fish-eye-city. I couldn't find any reference to the typical amount of coverage you get, but at $300 per gallon, hopefully it spreads out quite well. I also didn't see anything about how long it is effective or what happens when it is time to recoat it. Having personally started with modified epoxy antifouling, then switched to vinyl-based types (after sanding) and finally to water-based ablatives (after sanding again) there is no way I'd ever go back to something which stinks of solvent or which doesn't gradually remove itself.

Thanks for the thoughts and experience, I always appreciate your input. I am moored in Chicago, there are about 600 boats in my harbor, and roughly 6000 in the area, hence my concern about anti-fouling paint washing itself into the lake.

Ken

Chicago the last city to dump it's sewerage in the lake untreated, Just 5 years ago, any proper approved antifouling paint will have a negligable effect on the lake..
    Just an amateur bodging away..