Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hull shape and sleeping peacefully at anchor

Default Re: Hull shape and sleeping peacefully at anchor

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Tell us more about your boat Woxbox. It reminds me of an International 110 hull.
    Jay
    Jay, That's a point that occurred to me when I was building Terrapin. Actually when it was upside down and the bottom shape and proportions were obvious. It's 18'6" long and 5' wide. The boat is from Chesapeake Light Craft, designed by John Harris. He calls the design "Autumn Leaves." I did run a build thread when I put it together. Link here. Being so narrow the hull is very easily driven. With its big balanced lug main, she ghosts very effectively, and with over 600 pounds of ballast, can handle some wind and has the feel of a boat with traditional scantlings, which is to say fairly solid underfoot. I'm liking the boat more every time I sail. It really comes into its own exploring narrow and shallow waterways, which is what I was looking for.
    -Dave

Thank you Dave, "Autumn Leaves" is a fascinating boat! Like the 110s the hull can be unstable at times I would guess? Skinny water boats are always filled with the possibilty of adventure that escapes others! Got more pictures?
    Jay

If you go to the CLC website and look up the design, you'll find lots of photos and a video. John was quite excited to sail my boat, the first one built from the CLC kit, and the second launched. At my request, John redrew the boat to accommodate the lug yawl rig. The other completed boat has the original yawl sailplan. Here's John's write-up. And here's the video. At least two more are under construction.

Jay, I've never sailed a 110 so I can't make that comparison. The narrow beam does mean reefs need to be taken in earlier than would be the case in a wider boat. But what's gained is a boat that can be rowed quite effectively standing up, facing forward, as well as being quick for its size and type. It's also a pleasure to tow on the highway because visibility in the rear-views is good and the trailer is no wider than the tow vehicle. The trade off is that this is a one-person overnight boat or comfortable for two or three to daysail.
    -Dave

Dave,

thanks for posting that. I've read/watched it before, but it reminds me how much I love this design, especially the lug yawl version you built. Very nice.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

The 110s were designed in Marblehead in roughly 1937. You can check them out here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_110
    The boats are 24' loa with 4' of beam. The are flat bottomed double ended hard chine racers that are very popular back there in Marblehead.
    There is also a 210 that is 30' loa. Both are fast use a trapeze and a ballested dagger board. And, they are good buoy boats!
    Jay