Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Autumn Boating Photos--What Have You Got?

Default Re: Autumn Boating Photos--What Have You Got?

And then, open water again in the main river channel--wider here only a couple of miles above the next dam. A moment to step the mast and hoist the sail, and enjoy the absence of bells and schedules and other hallmarks of the all-too-persistent industrial-age work ethic that I had managed to leave behind on shore, at least for a while:

7.jpg
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

There's nothing lonelier--or more inviting--than a northwoods swimming beach at the end of September.

8.jpg
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

But all too soon, I ran out of river--the big bridge and the dam behind coming into view around the corner. The black crane-like structure to the left of the bridge is probably the north woods' last remaining pulpwood stacker:

Timber was cut into logs at the pulpwood mill, and then stockpiled on the premises before being sent along the river to paper mills. Operating with a 35-bhp motor at a 45-degree angle,the 175-foot (53 m) double-trussed stacker replaced what had been a labor-intensive method of handling the timber product. It moved the cut logs into large piles on land, from which they could then be placed in the water for their journey to the paper mill.
    The stacker, coincidentally, was decommissioned in the same year I was born. Not sure what to make of that. I suppose I'll be decommissioned myself before too long in the grand scheme of things. Meanwhile, there is a lot to be grateful for:

9.jpg

A gusty beat back to the ramp to load the boat and head home. Once again, time well spent. Very well spent.

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 10-01-2020 at 10:17 PM.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul356 View Post
    Sail-camping on Rainy Lake, MN, mid-September:Attachment 69453
    Cool! I was hoping to hear something about a Rainy Lake trip. Definitely worth a visit, it looks like.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by npbarker View Post
    On the right day the Dells are magic. The whole area is great for paddling or rowing (especially putting in at Mirror Lake), and there's a put-in just south of Louis Bluff (north of all the Dells hubub) where the WI river opens up enough for small boat daysailing, or for a sail & oar day if you choose to row south toward town, through the sandstone gorges.
    Nathan,

thanks for posting that--a rowing trip through the gorges is definitely high on my list. Maybe I'll fit it in this month before the boat gets packed up for the winter. There's got to be some good weather left, right? Right?

I'll just choose to believe so.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Lovely! Looking forward to that kind of foliage down here in southern Wi any day now.

Always have faith that there'll be more good weather days before the season shuts us out. The worst thing that could happen is.....we're wrong! Some of my favorite paddling and sailing days have come in late November or even first week of December during unexpected warm spells. Alone on the lakes with a feeling like you're stealing a day from the seasons.

Nathan
    Last edited by npbarker; 10-01-2020 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Cool--that's Arthur Ransome "The Big Six" and "Coot Club" territory, isn't it?

Tom
    Definitely well in their territory,
    A couple of hundred yards down river of Potter Heigham bridge on the Northern bank of the river. SA-Broads-North OZ 1811 sm.jpg
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Tom, that is on the St.Lawrence.
    3F9F8485-1F96-4F2E-A38A-47786852A6E4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John hartmann View Post
    Tom, that is on the St.Lawrence.
    Of course--you posted as much earlier, I just wasn't paying attention. Not too much farther from there to reach Georgian Bay!

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Not much on my front recently, been busy with work and cutting fire wood. But we did have friends stay for a few days in mid September, and I took the dad and two daughters canoeing on local Horseshoe lake two day running.

We took both my canoes. I got the 43 pound kevlar boat called "Wobbly Bottom" and put the youngest daughter in the bow. Dad got "Wanderer", a much more stable 65 pound fiberglass canoe with the eldest daughter in the bow for ballast. Dad hasn't been in a boat for decades. By the end of the two trips he did manage a goon stroke, but mostly watching him try to manage a canoe was, ah, interesting....

The kids are water bugs, can't keep em dry for nothing. The young daughter is a regular outboard motor and hammered the water like she was killing snakes! Of course half the time she scooped a paddle full of water right back into my face, but so what.
    That kid has two speeds, full steam ahead and asleep.

The eldest kid daydreamed the whole time but would occasionally stick the tip of her paddle in the water and wiggle it about a bit now and then, so Dad didn't get any help controlling his canoe out of her!

We crossed the lake, played in a waterfall, got back in the boats to paddle down the other side of the horseshoe and explored in the woods till we found The Devils Well.

Overall, a grand time was had by all.

SAM_8726.jpg

SAM_8717.jpg

SAM_8730.jpg

Looking down into The Devils Well

SAM_8729.jpg

I like that little sharpie!

What design is she?

Quote Originally Posted by Etdbob View Post

I like that little sharpie!

What design is she?
    Thank you! She's Reuel Parker's Modified Sharpie Skiff, based on fig 115 in American Small Sailing Craft--a Crisfield/Smith Island area crabbing skiff from around 1910. You'll find at least a couple more fine examples on the forum.

My father and I mostly built her between about 1997 and 2000 when I was in middle and high school, then I did finish work and updates (including a new bottom) in 2008/2009 after finishing college. We moved to Wisconsin from the Eastern Shore of MD shortly afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by npbarker View Post
    Thank you! She's Reuel Parker's Modified Sharpie Skiff, based on fig 115 in American Small Sailing Craft--a Crisfield/Smith Island area crabbing skiff from around 1910. You'll find at least a couple more fine examples on the forum.

My father and I mostly built her between about 1997 and 2000 when I was in middle and high school, then I did finish work and updates (including a new bottom) in 2008/2009 after finishing college. We moved to Wisconsin from the Eastern Shore of MD shortly afterward.

add another row of reef points and she'd be a real Texas 200 contender ;-)
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Looks like Jan and I will be skipping the Caribbean this winter,just paid for a years indoor storage.
    So....I pulled the cover down and popped the mast up on the 24'er in my yard.
    Tuning up the hundred little things... hope to launch her as soon as boredom sets in.

Bruce, did the city ever grant you permission for the mooring?

Jeff

Posted on the picture a day thread.
    Today is German unification memorial day or whatever you may call it. My wooden Mirror is still in the garage so we took the plastic boat out. 21C, sunshine and a gusty wind (estimated alternating between 2 and 5 Bft) were just irresistible.

Greetings from Berlin!
    Last edited by 62816inBerlin; 10-03-2020 at 03:13 PM. Reason: greetings added

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Bruce, did the city ever grant you permission for the mooring?

Jeff
    No.
    I got through all the other stuff, environmental, Army engineers.. one other... Gig Harbor no.
    Ironically. a Trump boat parade is going on now.
    I'll play the 90 day game or score a slip or....??

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    add another row of reef points and she'd be a real Texas 200 contender ;-)
    Ha! Yup, that and an outboard. She rows like a truck.

20201003_190011.jpg

Taken seconds ago. Island Creek, MD.
    -Dave

image.jpg
    Our anchorage for the last four nights. Von Donop Inlet on Cortes island. / Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lookin forward to touring some of those waters with you maybe next year, once I get my Waterlust canoe finished then launched. Goes for npbarker too; I'm two hours west of Madison, up near La Crosse.

High on a 1,280' ridge, the only waters around are the various Kickapoo river branches that look to be too twisty for my 17' design.

Other than the Mississippi of course, 20 minutes due west. Have eyes on Lake Onalaska once I have the sailing rig completed, Lake Mendota maybe, Devil's Lake too.

Presently I'm contemplating another coat of paint on the hull while I distract myself with winterizing-the-house projects. That top strake's to be the same bright red as the coaming.

Paint_Progress_092620.jpg
    Last edited by sp_clark; 10-03-2020 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sp_clark View Post
    Lookin forward to touring some of those waters with you maybe next year, once I get my Waterlust canoe finished then launched. Goes for npbarker too; I'm two hours west of Madison, up near La Crosse.

High on a 1,280' ridge, the only waters around are the various Kickapoo river branches that look to be too twisty for my 17' design.

Other than the Mississippi of course, 20 minutes due west. Have eyes on Lake Onalaska once I have the sailing rig completed, Lake Mendota maybe, Devil's Lake too.

Presently I'm contemplating another coat of paint on the hull while I distract myself with winterizing-the-house projects. That top strake's to be the same bright red as the coaming.

I've admired that Waterlust canoe design for a long time--nice to hear there's one launching soon in Wisconsin! It would be fun to cross paths on the water at some point.

You might want to check out Buckhorn State Park as well--waterside camping, big(ish) lake, a couple of islands to explore, not too far away for you, I'd think. And then, of course, the Great Lakes are not so far away, either.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Right! Petenwell & Castle Rock are on my list too, about 2 hrs drive... same as Madtown, a bit more than Eau Claire.

Had my heart set on a wonderful little man-made ‘impoundment’ about twenty minutes north of Viroqua, but the 10” of rain that blew in two years ago devastated the causeway. Doubtful there’s $$$$$$$ to get it fixed either.

Lake Onalaska’s challenging enough as it sits now, no expectations to put in to any of the Big Five in this lifetime.

I haven’t sailed in about 40 years so I’ll be taking it slow & cautious until I get a degree of confidence in my ability to manage the sheets once again.

Beautiful photos.
    Alas, all my boats are put away for the winter.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Right! Petenwell & Castle Rock are on my list too, about 2 hrs drive... same as Madtown, a bit more than Eau Claire.

Had my heart set on a wonderful little man-made ‘impoundment’ about twenty minutes north of Viroqua, but the 10” of rain that blew in two years ago devastated the causeway. Doubtful there’s $$$$$$$ to get it fixed either.

Lake Onalaska’s challenging enough as it sits now, no expectations to put in to any of the Big Five in this lifetime.

I haven’t sailed in about 40 years so I’ll be taking it slow & cautious until I get a degree of confidence in my ability to manage the sheets once again.
    Definitely no need to START with the Big Five! But the northern end of Lake Huron (the North Channel) is VERY small-boat friendly, as is the eastern side (Georgian Bay), though that's a bit more challenging (and rewarding) because it is so much rockier. But these are mostly sheltered waters, so once you're comfortable with your boat, I don't think there's any reason to rule them out for life. Those waters are quite a bit warmer than Lake Michigan and Lake Superior, as well--comfortable for extended swimming by mid-summer. That makes them MUCH safer.

Then again, lots of smaller waters around, too. It's all good!

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Lots of great local options between paddling and sailing your new canoe. The whole chain of lakes around Madison are worth exploring. Lake Mendota is the small "inland sea" that gives you access to the UW campus and much of downtown. Cherokee Marsh on the north end of the lake winds for a couple miles through lily pads and reeds. Coming from the tidal rivers and marshes of Chesapeake Bay, this is one of my favorite spots. Though I do miss that particular smell of salt and swamp fugg that you don't get here in the upper Midwest.

Lake Monona defines the other side of the isthmus downtown. It's smaller but ironically not as great for small boats in summer because it's often packed with recreational powerboats. But in spring and autumn it's perfect. Packed with migrating birds.

Lake Wingra is quite small, but very beautiful because it's tucked into the UW arboretum. Just a little bit south of town Lake Waubesa has a little more of a low key feel to it, and south yet further there is a nice little state park on Lake Kegonsa with boater access and campground.

Hope to see you on the water! I've got a new four month old at home, so my return to the water may be slow in 2021, but it'll happen one way or another.

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Definitely no need to START with the Big Five! But the northern end of Lake Huron (the North Channel) is VERY small-boat friendly, as is the eastern side (Georgian Bay), though that's a bit more challenging (and rewarding) because it is so much rockier. But these are mostly sheltered waters, so once you're comfortable with your boat, I don't think there's any reason to rule them out for life. Those waters are quite a bit warmer than Lake Michigan and Lake Superior, as well--comfortable for extended swimming by mid-summer. That makes them MUCH safer.

Then again, lots of smaller waters around, too. It's all good!

Tom
    Tom, I have followed your reports on cruises around North Channel and Georgian Bay with interest. Looks like a great area for a true sail and oar boat, but I think I wouldn't be comfortable in the sharpie without fair weather and an outboard to bail me out of sticky situations. Maybe reason for an outboard bracket. But really I should just build another boat, right?!

Nathan

So beautiful!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Looks like Jan and I will be skipping the Caribbean this winter,just paid for a years indoor storage.
    So....I pulled the cover down and popped the mast up on the 24'er in my yard.
    Tuning up the hundred little things... hope to launch her as soon as boredom sets in.

Impressed by those Swiss Alphorn things, better'n a telephone.

Its the opposite of Autumn here but we did go for a boat yesterday. Invited on a friends just for a change.
    Cold moulded 42 ft cruiser.
    20201004_111954.jpg
    Walked a beach about 20 minutes away.
    20201004_140455.jpg
    Not busy.

I just got back from a couple of days on the boat.

Fall in Puget Sound can mean fog and it was on this trip:

PXL_20201003_143941963.jpg

At Port Townsend, these ferries loomed out of the murk. I called on the radio to make sure they weren't about to pull out as I went by

PXL_20201003_192427241.jpg
    Elect a clown expect a circus

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Great thread Tom and everyone.

Mississippi sunset this evening. Cellphone pics, sorry.

62DE0E19-78C0-4106-B911-C8D450541DA7.jpg
    FDF22D27-9BB1-4284-B899-4C19D151FC6E.jpg
    2DA41D91-FDF2-404C-BF86-48899C740527.jpg

Its a gray day today but the colors are coming. Nice gentle sail on Penneseewassee Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Great thread Tom and everyone.

Mississippi sunset this evening. Cellphone pics, sorry.

62DE0E19-78C0-4106-B911-C8D450541DA7.jpg
    FDF22D27-9BB1-4284-B899-4C19D151FC6E.jpg
    2DA41D91-FDF2-404C-BF86-48899C740527.jpg
    That's right in my backyard! (Granted, that's coming from a guy willing to drive 10-15 hours or more for a sailing trip, so others might disagree).

That shot of the shell and coach cracks me up. Nothing ramps up my enjoyment of being on the water like being shouted at through a megaphone!

I should get out on the Mississippi more often. I did manage a short trip on Wisconsin's west coast this summer.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frank K. View Post

Its a gray day today but the colors are coming. Nice gentle sail on Penneseewassee Lake.
    Nice try, but I'm afraid your photos aren't showing up for me...

Tom

www.tompamperin.com