Thread: Sharptown Barge?

Default Sharptown Barge?

I'd like to get a set of R.D. Cullers plans for the revised Sharptown Barge.

I'm aware that Wooden Boat store sells Robert Stewad's original plans. Is this strictly a power boat?

According to the book "Pete Culler's Boats" by John Burke (A book that I do not actually have) Mr. Culler drew -
    Revised Sharptown Barge: 24 x 4-9, long skinny flat-bottomed sharpie hull, multiple sail rigs, variations on boomless spritsail main, sprit boom mizzen, balanced jib with boom, set flying.
    I checked the Mystic Seaport Museum web site under R.D. Culler, and that one isn't listed.

Anyone got any ideas???

Default Re: Sharptown Barge?

Appendix D of the 2010 edition of "Pete Culler's Boats" is George Kelly's list of Culler's plans. It shows the Sharptown Barge as catalog #128.20 with 2 sheets. T You could contact Mystic Seaport Museum and ask if the plans are available.

The Sharptown Barge plans are reproduced in a small size in "Boats, Oars, and Rowing" by R. D. Culler. The offsets are legible but some of the scantlings and notes are difficult to decipher.

Ah, using that info I found it.
    I sent them an email asking about purchasing set.

http://mobius.mysticseaport.org/detail.php?term=sharptown+barge&module=objects&typ e=keyword&x=0&y=0&kv=437493&record=0

UNIDENTIFIED: 24' sharptown barge, revised

plans set

SHIPS PLANS
    Culler, Robert D.
    1975-10-28
    SP.2000.4.128.20
    Mystic Seaport, Daniel S. Gregory Ships Plans Library, Robert D. Culler Collection

I built a copy of the Sharptown Barge 40 years ago. Had a gang of students so we set it up with four pairs of oarlocks and and stern sheets. (Must have had a rudder but don't remember it) Went pretty well but we did not build the centerboard box. Later I used it as a cummuter boat to my small island across a bay at Cape Cod. Used a nice old 1956 Johnson 10. Was plenty of power to get it up on plane even. Being long and narrow she could stand some chop but ultimately it was just too long to be handy. There used to be a couple of them in Eel Pond (inside WoodsHole Village, Cape Cod, Mass, not too far really from Pete Culler)) on run lines at the MBL. Have not seen them lately. With small horsepower they would have been just fine to go out into and around WoodsHole chasing blues and stripers after work. Never built the rig.
    Last edited by JamesCaird; 10-23-2020 at 10:16 PM. Reason: further thought