Thread: Which rowboat to build?

Default Which rowboat to build?

Glorious news my recent sentence in an apartment is coming to an end. Bonus points as the new place is on a pond. Been a few years since I've built a boat(Some plywood, some SOF) and want to build an nice rowing easy building(nail and glue preferably) skiff. I have plans for QT Skiff, June Bug, and Bolgers 10.5' Not averse to buying a set of plans for something else. Use would be me most of the time, but want something my teenager can take out with a friend. Pond is a half mile long speed not necessary but I would like something that rows easier than the typical aluminum skiff. Open to new suggestions and experiences with the listed designs.
    Thanks

Default Re: Which rowboat to build?

First build? What’s your experience with woodworking? Tools owned?
    Check our CLCboats.com. They’ve got quite a collection of rowing craft. My first build was their Chester Yawl. Pretty, fairly stable, rows well, much better than a typical “rowboat”.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Make sure it has a skeg (a long keel also helps) and not too much freeboard. My current sailboat has all three and rows beautifully but it's not easy to tack.

All three you mentioned are flat bottomed hence easy to build. A rounded lapstrake hull like the ones I designed and built (see http://176inches.blogspot.com, there are many many plans available, free and at a price) is prettier and nicer to row but harder to build.

Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I heartily agree on the Thames skiff on beauty and rowing ability. How hard was it to build?

Actually, I think the June Bug would be about ideal for that 1/2 mile pond.

QT skiff would be my choice. The trapezoidal cross section allows a decent span between oarlocks without making the boat unnecessarily wide on the waterline.

Quote Originally Posted by 176inches View Post
    I heartily agree on the Thames skiff on beauty and rowing ability. How hard was it to build?
    Quite easy really and it was very enjoyable to build.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I am near completion of B & B 9' nesting dinghy from plans. If you find that sort of practical function and design attractive, https://bandbyachtdesigns.com/spindrift may be worth a look.

Do you have a size limitation? The rowing boat that currently sets my heart aflutter is CLC's Jimmy Skiff II. I'm smitten with the looks and it appears to behave well in quite a few modes: row, sail, fishing and power. Looks like a very easy build and CLC's support is topnotch.

https://www.clcboats.com/modules/cat...Jimmy-Skiff-II

I've built a passel of boats but had this design been around earlier I would have skipped around 3.

The Thames skiff and Jimmy skiff are stitch and glue, requiring plenty of epoxy.

Sailnstink asked for nail and glue boats. Can't beat a nail and glue boat for fast and cheap construction, and hey, it's a half-mile pond.

Jim Mickalak has a few nail and glue rowboats, but his QT is probably the best of them. I do like his Sneakerbox Punt, but QT probably rows better.

https://www.duckworks.com/product-p/jm-sneakerbox.htm

There is always Bolgers Teal, a very simple build. But Sailnstink already June Bug, which is a fine row boat. The Bolger Pooh Sticks looks like fun to me, I think it can be built from his book Small Boats.

I have a Summer Breeze by David Beede which rows well enough. His site Simplicity Boats has a few other longer boats as well, and the plans are free, but I don't think they are any better than the above.

Hey, how about something different?

Not a rowboat, but only two sheets of plywood, free plans and lots of fun -

https://the-shed.nz/home/2018/11/19/...utrigger-canoe