Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I think I'll build a Point Comfort 23

Default Re: I think I'll build a Point Comfort 23

I have read several good reviews on this product. I may go with it since it will be glassed and painted. There isn't supposed to be any voids. It is cheap and the big box stores carry it.

http://theplywood.com/sande

Quote Originally Posted by bob barnett pe View Post
    I have read several good reviews on this product. I may go with it since it will be glassed and painted. There isn't supposed to be any voids. It is cheap and the big box stores carry it.

When I say voids, I mean only little tiny ones, nothing to worry about. It's still 130$ a sheet here, was nice enough to work with.
    Never Trade Luck for Skill.

The only big box store in my area that has Sandeply Is orange and their specifications on it say it is interior grade.

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    The only big box store in my area that has Sandeply Is orange and their specifications on it say it is interior grade.
    I get mine from a distributor up here, says exterior, and is sold as marine fir.

Fixed trim tabs. Not a fun job applying this. 7/16" at the aft end tapering to zero going forward, approx. 24" wide x 11"deep. It takes a lot of epoxy and balloons. They seem to work on my 18 footer, and the designer recommends them. Bonus is, with the hull upright, you can grind them off a lot easier than you can apply them! Don't worry, this is not the finished surface. They'll get cleaned up and faired tomorrow before priming. It's so much epoxy to fair on the first run.
    Rob

IMG_2352.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, good luck with the wedges. I regretted installing them from launch day until I chopped them off at the first oil change (I would use electric trim tabs if I needed to get the bow down, plus a bonus with lateral trim due to loading). Was a new boat after that.
    Cricket

Quote Originally Posted by jim_cricket View Post
    Well, good luck with the wedges. I regretted installing them from launch day until I chopped them off at the first oil change (I would use electric trim tabs if I needed to get the bow down, plus a bonus with lateral trim due to loading). Was a new boat after that.
    Cricket
    I’m two days too late getting this message haha. They’re on, and yes I guess I can always grind them off. I flipped the hull today so it’s out of the question until I hoist it up.
    Really made that much difference? Where is your outboard mounted now? Is it still raised one hole or did you lower it right to the transom top?
    Rob

What issue did you have with the trim wedges? I assume it made you bow dig in too much. Did your motor have a power trim to adjust it underway?

IMG_2376.jpg
    Borrowed a couple rollers to sling and roll the hull.

IMG_2380.jpg

Epoxy primer, Interprotect 2000E, Bottomkote XXX in black, and a full length bronze keel half round for protection.

IMG_2397.jpg

Sheer cleaned up a little, bow stem and transom as well. So much sanding, filling and filleting. But it looks great inside!

IMG_2396.jpg

Stem area, cleaned up but not final.
    Now the fun part begins, a full winter of making this as close to perfect as I can. There's a lot of room in this hull.

Rob

Looks great. Really fast work.

Quote Originally Posted by finkeel View Post
    I’m two days too late getting this message haha. They’re on, and yes I guess I can always grind them off. I flipped the hull today so it’s out of the question until I hoist it up.
    Really made that much difference? Where is your outboard mounted now? Is it still raised one hole or did you lower it right to the transom top?
    Rob
    The motor is still at the same place, one hole up. The wedges did not work at all for us. Could be we have a heavy bow, or should have moved the console aft a bit. The Florida builder GTC who posted on my thread (pg. 14, post 456) moved his console aft about a foot. If you look back on that page you can see a shot of his tabs. For whatever reason, on our build the tabs were deadly. Boat is perfect now, though I still have to watch I don't load the bow with passengers. On the other hand, I have a lot of room aft, where I put a seat across the splash well.

Bob Barnett, yes with the tabs I couldn't get the bow up enough to keep the boat dry underway without ventilating the prop. The bow on the PC is very fine, and there's a lot of beef up there in the structure. I added an anchor locker/seat aft of the bulkhead which added a little more weight. And yes, we have trim and tilt. Also hydraulic steering which I love.

Fin Keel, I wouldn't worry overmuch about my comments. They come off fairly easy if you need to remove them. When I deleted ours, I had to move the transom mounted depth transducer up. There was a rooster tail coming off of that after I chopped the wedges. Moved it up about 1/2", which solved that.

At any rate, I've long forgotten the little trials and tribs of getting the boat tuned up. It's a great design, serves us perfectly, and is a joy to own and operate. I'm leaving that boat behind very soon, as I retire and move away from NYC. House hunting now, and hope to be building a new boat within a few months.

Your build is looking great! You will love the boat.
    Jim

Thanks for all the info Jim.
    I'll set up the outboard one hole up to start, see how it goes. With the birch transom block/plate I added being 1" thick, that may affect things as well.(?) I can also sand off those tabs if warranted. may be an expensive pile of dust coming up!
    I did get a message from GTC abut moving the console aft a foot. Maybe I will move it half that, go 6" aft. I've added a little transom weight with that thin layer of purpleheart so maybe that's ballast already factored in.
    I know I will love it, by 18 put a smile on my face all summer. Lovely boat, handles so well, by the size of the 23 is amazing.
    I did add a couple what I called 'lifter rails' on the spray guards near the bow, I found I would bury the stem too deep running down waves (going faster than I should). The extended pieces were 2" wide by 2' long, and made a huge difference keeping the bow up on those days!
    I'll do the same to the 23, and maybe go forward of the stem an inch to try to stop that water creep up the stem which blows back. Again, stuff that can be removed/trimmed if it affects anything adversely.
    I'm also putting a solid bimini on this one, 3/8 ply I think. Glassed and painted.
    My boat will get a thru hull depth transducer, as the 18 footer did. Worked well.
    I do like the bench seat!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jim_cricket View Post
    The motor is still at the same place, one hole up. The wedges did not work at all for us. Could be we have a heavy bow, or should have moved the console aft a bit. The Florida builder GTC who posted on my thread (pg. 14, post 456) moved his console aft about a foot. If you look back on that page you can see a shot of his tabs. For whatever reason, on our build the tabs were deadly. Boat is perfect now, though I still have to watch I don't load the bow with passengers. On the other hand, I have a lot of room aft, where I put a seat across the splash well. Bob Barnett, yes with the tabs I couldn't get the bow up enough to keep the boat dry underway without ventilating the prop. The bow on the PC is very fine, and there's a lot of beef up there in the structure. I added an anchor locker/seat aft of the bulkhead which added a little more weight. And yes, we have trim and tilt. Also hydraulic steering which I love.Fin Keel, I wouldn't worry overmuch about my comments. They come off fairly easy if you need to remove them. When I deleted ours, I had to move the transom mounted depth transducer up. There was a rooster tail coming off of that after I chopped the wedges. Moved it up about 1/2", which solved that.At any rate, I've long forgotten the little trials and tribs of getting the boat tuned up. It's a great design, serves us perfectly, and is a joy to own and operate. I'm leaving that boat behind very soon, as I retire and move away from NYC. House hunting now, and hope to be building a new boat within a few months. Your build is looking great! You will love the boat. Jim

Jim I know I speak for many of us out there, please document this new boat build for us. Do you have a plan in mind?

I hope to be starting a new boat in the spring. We are in the purgatory of house sale/house buy, with all of the stress that brings, plus the covid business, plus the election. I can tell you I'm wound up pretty tight right now. I have several ideas for the next boat, but haven't decided yet. It will likely be smaller and lighter than the PC 23. I want an easy to trailer and launch boat, because I may not be able to afford a slip. Fixed retirement income and all of that. I might develop my own design, based on what I know about the PC series, but I have looked at Tolman skiffs, Culler outboard skiffs, and Devlin hunting garveys like Honker. Honker has some advantages like lighter weight and low profile, but would be wetter in a sea. It all might depend on what river I end up on. Right now looking like the Rappahannock so a true deadrise might be better, or the Tolman. We'll see.

Did you see the Torqueedo motor version of the PC23 Auk? http://www.dhylanboats.com/auk-pc23-electric/?fbclid=IwAR0-pthvfCP2N6CyyTA23OALbZKedGylfNiIysQ3f7JjZNtfWIULxp OOETY

Later! Cricket

Oh right on! I think you'd be more thank capable of your own design, knowing what you know now after this build.
    Yes we've been watching the election mess closely up here as well, and Covid has thrown a wrench in everything here too, and I'm so happy to have my backyard shop to escape to since most things are again shut down here.

I did see the electric boat link yes, Doug mentioned it to me in an email a while back. I need to re read it. I think I remember it being a 16 knot boat? Looking for ward to seeing the specs. Weight especially.
    Cheers
    Rob

No time to get much done today, work got in the way, but I decided to do something to help the comfort of the boat. This fix was not in the designers plans. In an email to him though, I get the impression he liked the idea. On my 18 foot Point Comfort, I found I was burying the bow running down big waves, (yes, too fast I know) running into the back of the next one. That almost plumb bow is wave piercing! I added an extension, what I called 'lifter rails' for lack of a better term, to the forward 2 feet of the spray rails, and they helped greatly. Kept the bow up! On my 23' build I am going to hopefully go one better, and try to eliminate some of the spray the walks up the stem and blows back into the boat in less than perfect hull trim conditions, when the forefoot hits the water. Jim Crickets build on this forum actually has photos of it happening, and it is a known complaint. So today I got a longer rail installed (than my 18'er) and I extended it past the stem where it will be trimmed down to a blunt point when the port side goes on to try to mitigate the water creeping up, forcing it back the rail and away from the passengers, namely me. The pieces are birch, 1.25" x almost 2" and are bronze #14 screws and thickened epoxy attached. Neither of these photos shows how trimmed down it will be.
    Rob

IMG_2401.jpg
    IMG_2402.jpg

You can see the ones on my 18 footer, at the bow.

IMG_1721.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

IMG_2406.jpg

Port side 'lifter rail' bedded in, will get shaped and sanded tomorrow. The point wont be that aggressive.
    Hope this helps with the light spray.

IMG_2403.jpg

Finkeel,
    I'm impressed you've gotten so far so fast with the 23' build. I too am on my second Point Comfort build. I finished the 18' skiff a few years ago and though I have gotten enormous joy, I also wanted something a bit bigger. And I really liked the whole figure-it-out build experience. I read the thread on console placement with great interest as I am about a month away from console construction. I am thinking to move it back 6 inches or a foot. I'm also considering making the front locker that jim_cricket engineered more of a fishing platform, so a bit lower and a flat space a good 3' or so from the bulkhead. This will add a bit of weight to the front though. I find the steep sides and narrow keelson of the 18' skiff up front make for awkward foot placement for my size 13s, so I'd like to remedy this in the 23'. The trick will be to find a height that is comfortable to stand on with a pole in your hand, yet not so low as to be confining with a fish on the line. FWIW I did not put the trim tabs on the 18' skiff and have no regrets. I steer with a long tiller and if the bow is up I take a half step forward and if it's too low I do the opposite. I have an electric trim tilt 30 hp Tohatsu on the 18' boat. About 5-10 hp too much when I'm alone, but just about perfect when there is an adult in the bow.

Quote Originally Posted by gghink View Post
    Finkeel,
    I'm impressed you've gotten so far so fast with the 23' build. I too am on my second Point Comfort build. I finished the 18' skiff a few years ago and though I have gotten enormous joy, I also wanted something a bit bigger. And I really liked the whole figure-it-out build experience. I read the thread on console placement with great interest as I iam about a month away from console construction. I am thinking to move it back 6 inches or a foot. I'm also considering making the front locker that jim_cricket engineered more of a fishing platform, so a bit lower and a flat space a good 3' or so from the bulkhead. This will add a bit of weight to the front though. I find the steep sides and narrow keelson of the 18' skiff up front make for awkward foot placement for my size 13s, so I'd like to remedy this in the 23'. The trick will be to find a height that is comfortable to stand on with a pole in your hand, yet not so low as to be confining with a fish on the line. FWIW I did not put the trim tabs on the 18' skiff and have no regrets. I steer with a long tiller and if the bow is up I take a half step forward and if it's too low I do the opposite. I have an electric trim tilt 30 hp Tohatsu on the 18' boat. About 5-10 hp too much when I'm alone, but just about perfect when there is an adult in the bow.

Hi there
    Yeah they’re great boats! I can’t wait for more room either, with a walk around console. Jim Cricket and GTC on this page are invaluable with their info and experience on tabs vs no tabs and console placement. I added tabs but they might not see the water. I’m thinking about moving my console aft as well, 6-8”.
    Another good day today, sanded filleted and epoxied the forward section. Building that area tomorrow, starting with the flotation chamber. It’s amazing what you can do once the hull is built. It’s a blank canvas, make it your own.

FEFAB03E-5ECB-45D0-A2F0-866C11FF4BDA.jpg

Got the first interior pieces fastened today. The upper pieces for the bulkhead bedded in, and the deck beams shaped and located. Not attached yet, much work to do below. Hoping to get the flotation compartment finished tomorrow, and sealed in the next day.
    mid nice to be building the interior. Also my dog loves East Coast Specialty Hardwood!
    FC529198-26C3-44D6-98BE-71FE7E39D0DF.jpg

11B63267-6458-44C6-BB6A-2DBD599E8931.jpg

4BA2890B-6CAE-4576-BB4F-1C377909A2CA.jpg

Another good set of days off, and the weather was warm for this time of year.
    With the forward section filleted and epoxied, I built up the deck cross beams, carlins, flotation compartment including filling and sealing the lid (watertite access panel is not installed yet), got the entire area epoxy primed and painted (inside and out).
    I need to work in sections. I did the same with the 18 footer. I can't seem to settle in and sand the entire interior, fillet the entire interior etc as a one step. I like doing a 'section' at a time. Works better for my attention span.
    Going with Jim Crickets build, I too am building the forward locker/seating area. It will allow someone to sit down out of the wind and spray if needed and make anchor storage easier in my opinion.
    Since there will be more weight forward, I've decided to follow the advice and move my center console aft 1 foot. I'm also going to sand off the trim wedges, based on multiple message I've received advising the boat is better suited without them. I'll go with the experience.
    I moved aft after the fore section was painted, and decided to start on the mid ship floors, trying to wrap my head around the console build, and making floor patterns with scrap and a new glue gun. Worked great. Again, this section hasn't been cleaned, faired, filled or anything yet.
    One photo is a couple pieces of teak I was offered. My neighbour said 'I found these in my newly purchased shed attic. You have any use?" Um, why yes, I do! One piece is 1"x13"x 11' and a other is 1"x6"x7'. It wasn't a freebie, but about 1/4 the cost of buying at the lumber supplier.

IMG_2426.jpgShear tune up, getting the crown right.

IMG_2447.jpgFirst step prime and paint

IMG_2449.jpgTeak gifts!

IMG_2450.jpgLining up the post

IMG_2460.jpgBeams.

A few more. I also got the first to forward floors in, as well as the side rails for the forward locker/seat, all epoxy bedded and screwed.

IMG_2461.jpgInterprotect 2000e

IMG_2463.jpgBrightsides Bristol Beige.

IMG_2464.jpgPattern making the floors

IMG_2465.jpgNice fit. This boat will get generous limber holes. On the 18 footer, I didn't cut them big enough.
    Next says off will see a few hours with the scraper, sander and fairing compound. That being said, running masking tape before installing the bottom and sides really helped on epoxy cleanup.
    The floors are white oak.

Thanks for all the advice offered. Getting real world information/experience sure helps.

Rob

This boat is coming along just fine!
    Looks like both of us will have a pleasant winter fitting out the interiors of our boats.
    Does yours have a standard layout for seating, lockers, etc. or is it left up to the builder to
    come up with their own?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    This boat is coming along just fine!
    Looks like both of us will have a pleasant winter fitting out the interiors of our boats.
    Does yours have a standard layout for seating, lockers, etc. or is it left up to the builder to
    come up with their own?

I have seen a number of ways. There is seating in the plans forward of the console but the rest of the plans are blank. You can build the console to walk around either side, depending on preference. A locker/seat at the forward bulkhead is a proven option, and I've seen a bench at the aft splash well. I think it depends on your own build preference!

There are several Point Comforts (Isleboro, Maine, Hilton Head SC, Cheaapeake Bay). I wonder which one these designs are named for.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

This one from Doug Hylan is based on a Chesapeake Bay Dead Rise Skiff.
    Rob

What laser are you using?

Some progress before heading back to work.
    Got all the floors built up, with 6 bedded in but not fillet sealed yet.
    The splash well and cross beam is in, as well as the lower transom to hull doubler, and corners.
    Started planning the console location, I moved it approx. 10" aft of plans and adjusted the floor count, adding one extra due to the offset..
    Started the port side knees, but are not trimmed to deck crown yet. That'll start Monday.
    We had some brutal cold temps followed by a bit of a snow fall, but should be back to way above zero next week, so that helps.
    IMG_2507.jpg

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2504.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

What laser are you using?

Its from Amazon, Huepar I think? Around 50$ Cdn, and is super. Can lock it or free into self level mode, horizontal line, vertical line or both. I like it.

Nice work Rob, you seem to be plowing through this - ready for your coming Summer?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Nice work Rob, you seem to be plowing through this - ready for your coming Summer?
    Thanks! We had a great stretch of weather up here this fall and I had a good bit of time off, so yeah I got the big stuff done, plus it was familiar after building the 18 footer. I'm sure I'll be ready for a summer launch. Into the fun stuff now.