Thread: Motorcyle Journalism

Default Motorcyle Journalism

I suspect this mostly happens on the internet nowadays.

This crew are great - FortNine - low budget but alive with enthusiasm - Jay Leno is good but with more money and access to oddball stuff.

Who else???
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Default Re: Motorcyle Journalism

Fortnine is younger than some of my kids and is an expert on every type of motorcycle in the world, and all maintenance, safety, riding, clothing, marketing, modifications and upgrades. He talks like there's nothing he doesn't know and his creepy smile must be a real hit with the ladies. Can't stand him. JayInOz

ouch
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    Fortnine is younger than some of my kids and is an expert on every type of motorcycle in the world, and all maintenance, safety, riding, clothing, marketing, modifications and upgrades. He talks like there's nothing he doesn't know and his creepy smile must be a real hit with the ladies. Can't stand him. JayInOz
    It's easy to diss anyone...

So who do you like - and why?
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

fortnine has come a looooong way. his early vids were just him and a gopro learning how to ride. he has unabashedly learned on the job.

some of the older, more expert mc youtube guys never really took off because they never have any fun.

i like rickymouse california crash videos.

do you still ride lee?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

sure.

Fortnine review videos are art. And Jay, he doesn't take himself seriously at all, so I'm not sure how you get what you get from them.

I'm practicing being a grumpy old fart- how'm I doin? I recently watched one of his videos where he's telling the world- and Harley Davidson- all about how they've killed the brand and made lots of mistakes and ruined the company. It's no secret that I'm a big Harley fan. I've been building, riding, buying and selling Harleys for a lot more years than Fortnine has been alive, and I certainly wouldn't presume to know enough to stand in front of a camera and tell a century old company what they should have done and should be doing. There just seem to be so many of them on line now- every time they think they've had an original thought they have to jump in front of a camera and tell the world- and remind us to click subscribe to build their channel! Must be a hundred videos of Things I hate about my Harley- from vibration to the wind hitting them for Gods sake!
    Maybe I just no longer relate to the young riders- wearing sneakers and carrying skateboards. I like a lot of the older riders videos- the experienced ones. Shaun Smoak is one of my favorites- I not only learn stuff but he takes me along for enjoyable evening rides He rides every day, has owned 87 bikes of many brands, and has been a bike mechanic since 1980. Insights without politics. Anyway, just my opinion, and you know what they say about them- Opinions are like azzholes- everybody's got one and most of them stink. JayInOz

Yup, you're doing grumpy old fart just fine

I knew it would be the Harley video that you didn't like. But here's the thing: the video really was about why young people don't buy Harley's. And I think he was spot on.
    Harley will have to change or go out of business. The live wire is a start. Buell was a missed opportunity. One of those (used, since they killed the line) will be my next bike.

Watch a few more, then get back to me. Try the vitpillen one.

I've watched a few- and there are many videos online of the Husky Vitpilen. And I know an old bloke goes by the name of Greybeard who already owned several Harleys and then bought a Buell. I asked him why, and he said "You need the Buell for the days when the devil rides with you" A friend of mine here in Gulgong rides a Dresser and his wife rides a Buell- she's six feet tall and throws it around like a toy. JayInOz

Erik was, and is, a brilliant motorcycle designer.

Anyways, Fortnine is an online motorcycle gear retailer. The videos started as a small sideline. Now, half a million or so views per. They don't make the videos to sell gear, they make the videos because they are enthusiastic about the subject. Good for them.
    Sorry you don't get the fun of it Jay, but to each their own.