Thread: Mail in ballots

Default Mail in ballots

A question about mail in ballots
    (Note, my state has been mail in only for years)

Based on current Ebay and Amazon practice couldn't I be notified

That my ballot is on the way.
    And after I mail it or drop it off.
    That my ballot has been received at the elections office.

And that my ballot has been tabulated.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Default Re: Mail in ballots

Cost? eBay & Amazon have everything barcoded & the software does the tracking. While I'm sure your ballot could be tracked as it went through the process, each voting district (town/city, whatever) would have to barcode all the ballots & envelopes (what happens if you put your ballot in your wife's envelope?) & then each stop in the process would have to have barcode readers that are connected to computers that would then send out the emails.

I'd rather have towns/states spend their money on truly secure voting machines.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Cost? eBay & Amazon have everything barcoded & the software does the tracking. While I'm sure your ballot could be tracked as it went through the process, each voting district (town/city, whatever) would have to barcode all the ballots & envelopes (what happens if you put your ballot in your wife's envelope?) & then each stop in the process would have to have barcode readers that are connected to computers that would then send out the emails.

I'd rather have towns/states spend their money on truly secure voting machines.
    We have those secure voting machines here on the coast of Maine. They are called pencils. We use them to mark our paper ballots that are then counted by hand.

We also have a 100% reliable tracking system for absentee voting. You go to the town office with your ballot. The clerk verifies your ballot by checking your name on the voting list and you put your ballot in the locked ballot box. That way you know exactly when it was delivered and that it was accepted.

In Floriida you can track yours via the Supervisor of Elections website.

As stated above, they don't have the $$$$s to develop an Amazon-lish tracking system that does it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    We have those secure voting machines here on the coast of Maine. They are called pencils. We use them to mark our paper ballots that are then counted by hand.

We also have a 100% reliable tracking system for absentee voting. You go to the town office with your ballot. The clerk verifies your ballot by checking your name on the voting list and you put your ballot in the locked ballot box. That way you know exactly when it was delivered and that it was accepted.
    VT has 'em too. However, lots of other states don't. Many use machines directly connected to the internet. Think they'd be hard to compromise?

Yeah, I do not like those internet connected gizmos. Our town does have an electronic tabulator that reads the ballots, but the total is always verified by a hand count before anything is transmitted to the secy of state via land line telephone.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    Yeah, I do not like those internet connected gizmos. Our town does have an electronic tabulator that reads the ballots, but the total is always verified by a hand count before anything is transmitted to the secy of state via land line telephone.
    But we live in sane states. Well - you did have a somewhat less than sane governor for a while, but he's gone & didn't get his grubby little hands into voting machine choices I guess.

Default Mail in ballots

Washington State ballot tracking varies from county to county. Here's how to track yours

https://www.q13fox.com/news/has-your-ballot-been-counted-heres-how-to-track-it
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    A question about mail in ballots
    (Note, my state has been mail in only for years)

Based on current Ebay and Amazon practice couldn't I be notified

That my ballot is on the way.
    And after I mail it or drop it off.
    That my ballot has been received at the elections office.

And that my ballot has been tabulated.
    Mail takes 1 day here and the post office shows us a photo of our mail each day. You can do a green sticky on your return mail and get notified that you mail was delivered.

If it matters to you, there are ways to get the information you want.
    Life is complex.

^Thanks to the above two. Great info.

Every vote-by-mail ballot also has a unique bar code that elections officials scan. A voter's signature on the vote-by-mail ballot return envelope is compared against the voter's registration ...
    https://www.factcheck.org/2020/06/tr...n-ballot-spin/

Canoe, I’ve begun to wonder about signatures. My granddaughters, ages 18 and 16, have never learned to read or write cursive. Everything is either typed or block printed. Their signatures on various school documents are always a bit different. In the near future, a signature as a form of identification will be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Canoe, I’ve begun to wonder about signatures. My granddaughters, ages 18 and 16, have never learned to read or write cursive. Everything is either typed or block printed. Their signatures on various school documents are always a bit different. In the near future, a signature as a form of identification will be gone.
    My own signature has morphed over time, and I also wonder if my write in ballot will be valid.
    We should probably go to something like a thumb print, but that may render the ballot "secret" no longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    My own signature has morphed over time, and I also wonder if my write in ballot will be valid.
    We should probably go to something like a thumb print, but that may render the ballot "secret" no longer.

You can go down to the Board of Elections and update your signature.

Thumb print wouldn't be any different than a you signature. You sign the register at the polling place, you don't sign the ballot.

And mail in ballots, you sign the return envelope containing the security envelope and the ballot. Once the signature on the return envelope is opened and matched against the signature of record, it's opened, the security envelope containing the ballot is removed and the return envelope discarded.

Wouldn't be any different with thumb prints.

But I like the idea of having to dip your finger or thumb in some brightly colored ink to vote.

We'd be able to identify the shirkers easily. As an encouragement to vote, bars might offer a pint on the house to customers who voted. Or there businesses likewise.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I call bs on the whole thing

If we can file our taxes, do our banking, access medical records than figuring out how to vote on line should be easy.
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Thumb prints don't change

Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post
    I call bs on the whole thing

If we can file our taxes, do our banking, access medical records than figuring out how to vote on line should be easy.

All that is designed to leave an audit trail.

Conversely, [anonymous] voting is designed to not leave an audit trail.

https://xkcd.com/2030/

https://xkcd.com/463/