Thread: Outboard motor bracket refinish

Default Outboard motor bracket refinish

The paint on the mounting bracket of my Torqeedo outboard (1003 model) is failing. This began last season and has gotten quite a bit worse this year. The pivot points are also beginning to be affected through corrosion. Nothing has failed yet, it just makes for troublesome operation. One would think that a motor that's as expensive as this one ought to be painted a little bit better. But that simply isn't the case. Torqeedo would tell me that I'm supposed to rinse it with fresh water after each use in saltwater. But the motor stays in the boat on a mooring. So a hose is out of reach. I may start taking an extra water bottle on board just for the motor.

I decided that I'd better do some proper maintenance on it. So I took the bracket apart which was not all that easy given the corrosion, but it did come apart cleanly with no damage and only a few adult words. The material is some alloy of aluminum I believe. You can see the paint failure in the photo. I began to simply scrape it off with a putty knife then decided that to really get it clean perhaps blasting it with a softish medium might be a good idea. But what to get? Walnut shells are easy to acquire. I've never used anything but sand and other hard gritty stuff. But I'm not about to use those materials on this softish metal. I have a siphon feed blasting unit.

Then on to paint... perhaps an epoxy paint? I'd appreciate any ideas and opinions.

Jeff

IMG_3463.jpg

Default Re: Outboard motor bracket refinish

It might be worthwhile trying soda blasting, but I would check out a chemical stripper first.
    I would rather have doubt than be certain and wrong.
    Richard Feynman.

I’ve blasted a lot of aluminum parts prior to paint and powder coating. We used aluminum oxide in the blast cabinet. Stripped the part quickly and left a nice tooth for adhesion.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    It might be worthwhile trying soda blasting, but I would check out a chemical stripper first.
    Now if the part had been wood, a chemical stripper would have immediately come to my mind. But since it's metal, that didn't happen. Funny how minds work/don't work. So thanks for thinking for me. I just happen to have some stripper...

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    The paint on the mounting bracket of my Torqeedo outboard (1003 model) is failing. This began last season and has gotten quite a bit worse this year. The pivot points are also beginning to be affected through corrosion. Nothing has failed yet, it just makes for troublesome operation. One would think that a motor that's as expensive as this one ought to be painted a little bit better. But that simply isn't the case. Torqeedo would tell me that I'm supposed to rinse it with fresh water after each use in saltwater. But the motor stays in the boat on a mooring. So a hose is out of reach. I may start taking an extra water bottle on board just for the motor.

I decided that I'd better do some proper maintenance on it. So I took the bracket apart which was not all that easy given the corrosion, but it did come apart cleanly with no damage and only a few adult words. The material is some alloy of aluminum I believe. You can see the paint failure in the photo. I began to simply scrape it off with a putty knife then decided that to really get it clean perhaps blasting it with a softish medium might be a good idea. But what to get? Walnut shells are easy to acquire. I've never used anything but sand and other hard gritty stuff. But I'm not about to use those materials on this softish metal. I have a siphon feed blasting unit.

Then on to paint... perhaps an epoxy paint? I'd appreciate any ideas and opinions.

Jeff

IMG_3463.jpg

Seattle Powder Coat in Ballard has a pretty good reputation. They can do the prep, as wall — grit blasting or chemical stripper.

No idea how you protect the threads from getting powder coated... or do you just figure on running a tap through afterwards?

https://www.seattlepowdercoat.com
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Thanks for the info on Seattle Powder Coat. My plan is to deal with the threaded parts still in place. In another example of Torqeedo's infinite wisdom they first put the threaded rod through the bracket then riveted the pad onto the end. So there is no way to take it apart without grinding off the rivet. How I'd fix it after that is unknown and I don't really want to have to figure it out.

My goal is to fix the paint the best I can and then fix it again... and again if I have to. A perfect appearance isn't a goal.

Like the lesson I learned about the prop and shear pin for this motor, maintenance and being pro-active is vital. I think I have the complete message now.

Jeff

Traditional japanning ? Very durable, can be applied locally, thick enough to not require precise metal finishing.

Search--" repaint your outboard," or," repaint your sterndrive." Lots of off the shelf solutions for refinishing aluminum.

Kevin

EDIT: BTW--you can buy replacement clamps/ screws. Check the threads, naturally, but FYI.

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 3.24.01 PM.jpg

Kevin

Edit2: Looks like Torqeedo will sell you an new bracket assembly for about $90 bucks.https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/pr...m-bracket-1003

torqeedo-spare-part-S-UG-0036-860x645.jpg

Just another FYI
    Last edited by Breakaway; 09-28-2020 at 02:29 PM.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Thanks for the links, Kevin. I was vaguely aware that Torqeedo sold the replacement brackets but haven't thought to check on them myself. It sort or rankles me that the bloody paint on this motor began to fail after only four short seasons. True, their instructions are to rinse after each use in salt water but that is difficult when the motor lives aboard a moored boat. A more durable paint couldn't be too difficult for them.

Jeff