Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Building the CoPogy 18

Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

It's looking great!

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    There is a Customs Office out on Point Hudson if they want more than notification from an app. I would think there is a bit of traffic coming in from Victoria...but even as a natural-born citizen of this country I always feel a bit nervous coming home from abroad.

That is turning into a very handsome boat, looking forward to seeing her in September.
    It's been a few years, what with Covid and all, but the last time I entered from through Port Townsend it was strictly an 8 to 4 office, a sub-set of the Port Angeles office. I was told that if I arrived out of office hours I would receive an official warning letter and for the second offense "I wouldn't want to know." I recommend a phone call ahead of time to find out the current requirements. I've always found the customs very professional and almost all welcoming, but I don't like having to pay the "cruising fee" to enter. I asked what it was for and was told it was just a money grab!

Jamie

Looks great! Tad must be pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Orr View Post
    It's been a few years, what with Covid and all, but the last time I entered from through Port Townsend it was strictly an 8 to 4 office, a sub-set of the Port Angeles office. I was told that if I arrived out of office hours I would receive an official warning letter and for the second offense "I wouldn't want to know."
    CFR 235.1: The master of a vessel who fails to report arrival is liable for a civil penalty of $5,000 for the first violation and $10,000 for each subsequent violation, and any conveyance used in connection with any such violation is subject to seizure and forfeiture.

I wrote a little story about my own run-in with U.S. Customs, which all started like this:

I arrived at the marina on Drummond Island under false pretenses, intending to report in as required and say nothing about camping ashore for the past three days. After dropping sail and dragging my boat halfway up the marina's concrete boat ramp, I went off to find the Customs office.

CLOSED, the sign in the door read.

There was another sign posting the hours of operation: 12:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. I glanced at my watch: 9:21 p.m. I'd sailed and rowed more than 20 miles that day, the last few hours an overcanvassed run dead downwind, skirting the edge of a gybe and broach while dodging car ferries and ore boats on my way through DeTour Passage, one of the busiest shipping channels in the Great Lakes. 9:21 p.m.

Another sign instructed after-hours arrivals to check in by calling a toll-free number from the dockside courtesy phone. I wandered around until I finally found the phone outside the marina store. I picked up the receiver. No dial tone. Nothing. I clicked the lever a few times. Still nothing.

I found a powerboater who loaned me her cell phone. She showed me how to turn it on, and I punched in the number, hit Send. Nothing.

"Yeah," she said. "I never get a signal here."

Headwinds are headwinds, whether literal or metaphorical, and sometimes progress is impossible. If only I can point high enough to make that channel marker, you think. If I catch a wind shift I can clear that shoal. But you can't. I used to try again. And again. I used to grind my teeth and squint defiantly and try one more time. Now I just give up. I dragged my little boat onto a nearby beach, set up my tent in a corner of the marina, and went to sleep.
    I had a--shall we say "interesting"?--an interesting time of it when Customs arrived at noon the next day.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    There is a Customs Office out on Point Hudson if they want more than notification from an app. I would think there is a bit of traffic coming in from Victoria...but even as a natural-born citizen of this country I always feel a bit nervous coming home from abroad.

That is turning into a very handsome boat, looking forward to seeing her in September.
    Thanks Steve.

I may not be coming directly to Port Townsend from Victoria. I will be taking part, with the boat, in the Classic Boat Festival the prior weekend and am considering using the intervening week to make my way to PT via the San Juans, where I have not sailed for about 3 decades. In that case, I would check in at Friday Harbour or Roche Harbour, if customs is still operating the port there in these un-trusting times.
    Alex

“It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    Looks fantastic Alex even if it’s only a work boat finish. Lucky you stood back a bit to take photos Should be a stand out at the boat show, good luck. That cockpit is twice the size of some 35’ rs
    Thanks Andrew. It is a generous cockpit. Will hold 2-3 comfortably, 4 if no social distancing is required.
    Alex

It's been a few years, what with Covid and all, but the last time I entered from through Port Townsend it was strictly an 8 to 4 office, a sub-set of the Port Angeles office. I was told that if I arrived out of office hours I would receive an official warning letter and for the second offense "I wouldn't want to know." I recommend a phone call ahead of time to find out the current requirements. I've always found the customs very professional and almost all welcoming, but I don't like having to pay the "cruising fee" to enter. I asked what it was for and was told it was just a money grab!

Jamie
    Jamie, what you were told confirms the impression I have been getting from reading the various parts of the customs web site. It all seems to be set up for power boats, or at least larger boats who, presumably, have an easier time keeping to a fixed schedule. As I noted in my reply to Steve, I am likely to enter via the San Juans. The distance from my launch point on this side of our island is much shorter and therefore, I hope, less prone to disruptions from wind and tide.
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    CFR 235.1: The master of a vessel who fails to report arrival is liable for a civil penalty of $5,000 for the first violation and $10,000 for each subsequent violation, and any conveyance used in connection with any such violation is subject to seizure and forfeiture.

I wrote a little story about my own run-in with U.S. Customs, which all started like this:

I had a--shall we say "interesting"?--an interesting time of it when Customs arrived at noon the next day.

Tom
    A cautionary tale indeed. Lucky we aren't hearing this story in your "Confessions of a Jailed Sailor" book.
    Alex

Alex, if you're doing the Classic and Port Townsend shows, go for the hat trick and do Deer Harbor Sept 5 to 7. If you enter the US at Roche, it's right on your way anyway. I haven't been to it since 2005 but it was a good time then. And you may find yourself part of a flotilla of beautiful classics as you head south. Watmough Bay was the usual stopover before crossing Juan de Fuca. I recall one evening there when I counted 21 traditional and/or classic boats in the bay, along with one lonely Bayliner.

Jamie

I hope to spend the night before in Watmough Bay. As Jamie says, that pretty bay usually is filled with boats headed to Port Townsend.

Alex, if you're doing the Classic and Port Townsend shows, go for the hat trick and do Deer Harbor Sept 5 to 7. If you enter the US at Roche, it's right on your way anyway. I haven't been to it since 2005 but it was a good time then. And you may find yourself part of a flotilla of beautiful classics as you head south. Watmough Bay was the usual stopover before crossing Juan de Fuca. I recall one evening there when I counted 21 traditional and/or classic boats in the bay, along with one lonely Bayliner.

Jamie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Higgins.94301 View Post
    I hope to spend the night before in Watmough Bay. As Jamie says, that pretty bay usually is filled with boats headed to Port Townsend.

Thanks for the reminder, guys. I had forgotten about the rendezvous in Deer Harbour. I have never been. What's the drill - just show up?

I had gone so far as to glance at the chart and figured Watmough Bay was the place to jump off from.
    Alex

If you judge the tides correctly and set your alarm clock appropriately, it is an easy morning crossing to Point Wilson. The last time I did this I crossed in less than 5 hours, which is fast for a 14 foot waterline. Of course, I had a lot of help from the current, which is why this is all about the tides.

The evening before, while cooking dinner, I listened to a flutist, sitting in the stern of a skiff, play beautiful music as she was rowed around the bay. It was sublime.

Aligning the rudderhead on the transom in order to position the gudgeons. Lots of masking tape to hold everything in place temporarily:

And . . . the rudderhead hung on the installed gudgeons. One more task checked off on the to-do list.

Rudder blade is done and will be permanently installed later.
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Higgins.94301 View Post
    If you judge the tides correctly and set your alarm clock appropriately, it is an easy morning crossing to Point Wilson. The last time I did this I crossed in less than 5 hours, which is fast for a 14 foot waterline. Of course, I had a lot of help from the current, which is why this is all about the tides.

The evening before, while cooking dinner, I listened to a flutist, sitting in the stern of a skiff, play beautiful music as she was rowed around the bay. It was sublime.
    My understanding is that the southbound ebb current lasts longest near Whidby Island, so hug that shore on the way to PT. Northbound, the recommended route takes you outside the islands (King Island, perhaps?) Hopefully catching the change to flood near that point. That is if you are going home via the San Juans. I've tested the southbound route and it appears to work as advertised but I generally come home on a direct line for Victoria.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    Thanks for the reminder, guys. I had forgotten about the rendezvous in Deer Harbour. I have never been. What's the drill - just show up?

I had gone so far as to glance at the chart and figured Watmough Bay was the place to jump off from.
    Watmough Bay is one of the lovliest anchorages in the San Juans, especially when it's full of boats from the Deer Harbor rendezvous. They haven't posted anything about this years' event on their website yet, but in the past they have been very welcoming to anyone who just shows up. https://www.woodenboatsocietyofthesanjuans.com/
    One of the great things about this forum is that we don't all have to accumulate the same scar tissue.
    AJ Zimm

My understanding is that the southbound ebb current lasts longest near Whidby Island, so hug that shore on the way to PT. Northbound, the recommended route takes you outside the islands (King Island, perhaps?) Hopefully catching the change to flood near that point. That is if you are going home via the San Juans. I've tested the southbound route and it appears to work as advertised but I generally come home on a direct line for Victoria.

Jamie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lesser View Post
    Watmough Bay is one of the loveliest anchorages in the San Juans, especially when it's full of boats from the Deer Harbor rendezvous. They haven't posted anything about this years' event on their website yet, but in the past they have been very welcoming to anyone who just shows up. https://www.woodenboatsocietyofthesanjuans.com/

Good advice. Thanks guys.
    Alex

I am always caught off guard by how much time the final painting of the boat takes. The weather these last few days has been ideal for that work, cool-ish in the mornings so the paint goes on well and hot later on so it dries and hardens quickly. I have somewhat paused the fabrication and installation of the last few bits to focus on painting.

Here is the current state of progress on the painting. The top strake of the hull is done, as is the raised topside strake. Pilothouse roof is done, although the sides of the PH will likely need another coat. Transom needs another coat, too. Not shown are rudder and rudderhead, which are also done. Deck still to do, obviously. After that, the toe rail and cockpit coamings will be painted a sort-of wood looking colour.

Alex, love the pilothouse!!
    Trying to come up with some proportion between the roof front overhang and the height of the pilot house wall - on my boat. What's the lenght of the overhang in the front of the pilot house, versus the height of the front wall? I see you are fallowing the contour of the wall with the overhang.
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogsnight View Post
    Trying to come up with some proportion between the roof front overhang and the height of the pilot house wall - on my boat. What's the lenght of the overhang in the front of the pilot house, versus the height of the front wall? I see you are fallowing the contour of the wall with the overhang.
    I built it as Tad drew it. Just heading down to the shop now. I'll measure it and post later today or tomorrow.
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogsnight View Post
    I measured the length of the overhang of the pilothouse roof over the front wall and the height of the front wall. The front wall averages about 12 inches and the overhang averages about 6 inches. The front wall is higher in the centre than at the outside edge, by about an inch. Similarly, the overhang is longer at the centre than the outside edge, by about an inch.

Both the front wall and the side walls are also slanted in at the top. The front walls have only two straight edges – the centre and side. The bottom and top are curved to match the deck camber and the desired pilothouse roof camber, which are different. The overall effect is that the pilothouse roof has more crown to it than the deck below it. There is a lot of subtlety to it, which is part of Tad’s design genius and why it looks right.
    Alex

Spent much of the last 10 days or so painting. Finally finished the deck and cockpit areas. Then it was time to apply the Kiwi Grip. I used it on my last boat and was quite happy with the results. I still had an unopened can but went out and bought another package as I wasn’t sure whether I had enough. The packaging has changed, as you can see.

3 ˝ hours of applying masking tape and less than an hour to apply the stuff. Here is the result on the deck:

Meanwhile, while waiting for paint to dry, I got around to cutting the strips and laminating up the curved part of the tiller that will go over top the outboard motor. Douglas Fir. I tested how thin the strips had to be to make the bends on the jig, using some scrap strips I had left over from other cutting. 4 mm was too thick, 3 mm was iffy but 2 ˝ mm was OK.

Applied epoxy to the stack of 16 strips and pulled it all into place, with a few wood blocks screwed into the base to hold them all down. The strips are 2-3” longer than I need, at the ends, as I have found before that if I don’t do that, the bits that I want there aren’t quite right.

It’s been curing for a couple of days, so today’s task is to clean it up, taper the handle end and fit the other end to the short piece of hardwood that I made up the other day to fit into the rudderhead hole.
    Alex

Dang, this is going to be a purdy little boat when all finished.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

I measured the length of the overhang of the pilothouse roof over the front wall and the height of the front wall. The front wall averages about 12 inches and the overhang averages about 6 inches. The front wall is higher in the centre than at the outside edge, by about an inch. Similarly, the overhang is longer at the centre than the outside edge, by about an inch.

Both the front wall and the side walls are also slanted in at the top. The front walls have only two straight edges – the centre and side. The bottom and top are curved to match the deck camber and the desired pilothouse roof camber, which are different. The overall effect is that the pilothouse roof has more crown to it than the deck below it. There is a lot of subtlety to it, which is part of Tad’s design genius and why it looks right.
    Thank you Alex, this give me a good idea what to do with my boat......I have 18" front wall and will go with 6" overhang

Fontana1.jpg
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Ah, another loopy tiller! Almost as loopy as Kotik's.

Have you considered putting toe-rails along the edges of the cabin roof?
    Cheers, Alex,
    Ian
    Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

Just catching up on this thread and saw the discussion about customs in Port Townsend. I have a relevant anecdote that may help clarify the situation there.

In 2019 we went to Victoria B.C. for a few days aboard Skookum Maru. It was a lovely visit and we have many great memories of our stay. Upon heading home I noted that there was a customs office in Port Townsend and pointed us confidently across the Strait in that direction. We had an uneventful crossing and we were maybe half an hour or so out of PT when I started preparing for customs. At which point I noticed that the customs office was only open for limited hours, and we were not going to make it there in time. So I called U.S. Customs and asked them what to do. They said that in fact the Port Townsend customs office is only staffed by appointment. You can't just show up during office hours, you have to schedule it in advance.

Starting to feel a bit of panic I asked the officer - who was very helpful - what other options I had. She told me that we could head for Port Angeles, Roche Harbor or Friday Harbor. All of which were hours back in the wrong direction. But then she asked me whether I had the app. "The app?" I asked bemusedly. "Yes, if you have the CBP ROAM app and all persons aboard are registered then you can clear customs with a phone call". Amazing! But the question then was whether I could download the app in the middle of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, upload all of our documentation, and submit it to the CBP before we reached Port Townsend. Turning the helm over to my wife, I downloaded the app and entered in all of our details, hoping that the two bars of cell service that I was getting wouldn't vanish into some coverage hole. It felt like it took hours to get everyone set up but finally I pressed the submit button and waited... and waited... watching the little spinning wheel go around and wondering if everything I had just entered would go poof. But no, there it was the beautiful confirmation screen telling me that our request had been accepted and we would receive a response via email. And sure enough a few minutes later I received an email confirming that we were cleared to enter the U.S. I have rarely been so happy or relieved.

Anyway, the point is that you should not expect to clear customs at Port Townsend. Port Angeles is probably a better bet. Although you might be able to use the CBP ROAM app. I don't see anything that says it is limited to U.S. citizens.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/pleasure-...-overview/roam
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

wow, you have made progress! Nice!
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Dang, this is going to be a purdy little boat when all finished.
    Thanks, Rich, I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by IanMilne View Post
    Ah, another loopy tiller! Almost as loopy as Kotik's.

Yeah, I couldn't come up with any tidy alternative. I considered some sort of arrangement of lines leading around the outboard to a tiller mounted on the forward face of the aft cockpit bulkhead, but it seemed unnecessarily complex and unattractive.

Quote Originally Posted by IanMilne View Post
    Have you considered putting toe-rails along the edges of the cabin roof?
    Cheers, Alex,
    Ian
    There are toe rails along the lower part of the cabin, but I don't anticipate ever standing on the pilothouse roof, if that is what you were referring to, Ian. The areas outboard of the grab rails will be pretty much taken up by a pair of flexible solar panels. I plan not to step on them although they can probably withstand the occasional misplaced foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigadog View Post
    wow, you have made progress! Nice!
    Yep. The to-do list is down to one page.
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Just catching up on this thread and saw the discussion about customs in Port Townsend. I have a relevant anecdote that may help clarify the situation there.

In 2019 we went to Victoria B.C. for a few days aboard Skookum Maru. It was a lovely visit and we have many great memories of our stay. Upon heading home I noted that there was a customs office in Port Townsend and pointed us confidently across the Strait in that direction. We had an uneventful crossing and we were maybe half an hour or so out of PT when I started preparing for customs. At which point I noticed that the customs office was only open for limited hours, and we were not going to make it there in time. So I called U.S. Customs and asked them what to do. They said that in fact the Port Townsend customs office is only staffed by appointment. You can't just show up during office hours, you have to schedule it in advance.

Starting to feel a bit of panic I asked the officer - who was very helpful - what other options I had. She told me that we could head for Port Angeles, Roche Harbor or Friday Harbor. All of which were hours back in the wrong direction. But then she asked me whether I had the app. "The app?" I asked bemusedly. "Yes, if you have the CBP ROAM app and all persons aboard are registered then you can clear customs with a phone call". Amazing! But the question then was whether I could download the app in the middle of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, upload all of our documentation, and submit it to the CBP before we reached Port Townsend. Turning the helm over to my wife, I downloaded the app and entered in all of our details, hoping that the two bars of cell service that I was getting wouldn't vanish into some coverage hole. It felt like it took hours to get everyone set up but finally I pressed the submit button and waited... and waited... watching the little spinning wheel go around and wondering if everything I had just entered would go poof. But no, there it was the beautiful confirmation screen telling me that our request had been accepted and we would receive a response via email. And sure enough a few minutes later I received an email confirming that we were cleared to enter the U.S. I have rarely been so happy or relieved.

Anyway, the point is that you should not expect to clear customs at Port Townsend. Port Angeles is probably a better bet. Although you might be able to use the CBP ROAM app. I don't see anything that says it is limited to U.S. citizens.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/pleasure-...-overview/roam
    Thanks Chris.

I have in fact downloaded the app and entered the information in it, except for the actual trip data of course.

I am pretty sure I am going to get to Port Townsend by way of the San Juans, this time anyway. It's been a long time since I have sailed there - might as well make a short cruise of it. So, Friday Harbor or Roche Harbor if they want to check me out in person.
    Alex

A couple of years ago, I used the app coming into the US from Canada. I had to do an interview on camera through the phone but it worked.

Just FYI don't be naked.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Davis View Post
    A couple of years ago, I used the app coming into the US from Canada. I had to do an interview on camera through the phone but it worked.

Just FYI don't be naked.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Good to know.

I never sail naked. Always at least have a life jacket on.
    Alex

I've not been keeping up. Wow and Wow. Of course I'd expect nothing less!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hvalsoe View Post
    I've not been keeping up. Wow and Wow. Of course I'd expect nothing less!
    Self-imposed deadline, Eric. I am bringing the boat to the Victoria Classic Boat Festival on the Labour Day weekend and Port Townsend the following weekend. I would also like to at least get in a short shake-down cruise before that so I don't arrive at the festival docks still painting the boat and installing rigging hardware.
    Alex

Here is the completed and assembled tiller and rudder. Easier to make the tiller out of two pieces and join them with some aluminum plate I had on hand than try to laminate up one more curve in an already tricky lamination layup.

Kick-up rudder is held down with a bungee and hauled up with a line running over the top of the rudderhead and belayed to a jam cleat on the tiller. Should work.

Alex

Nice work, Alex Will you be running with the motor "down" all the time, then? Is there room for it to tilt up at all? I probably missed that discussion earlier.

I thought I had laminated a funky shaped tiller or two! You putting an extension on it?
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

That tiller needs a cobras head. Nicely done.