Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8171819 ... LastLast
Results 596 to 630 of 743

Thread: Building the CoPogy 18

  1. #596
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,852

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Nice work, Alex Will you be running with the motor "down" all the time, then? Is there room for it to tilt up at all? I probably missed that discussion earlier.
    Thanks Hugh.

    The plan is to run with the motor down. This is really a mini motor-sailer that won't be all that brilliant in light air in any case. There is room to partially tilt the motor up, but not to get it out of the water, just enough to get it clear of the bottom should I have to take the ground.
    Alex

    “It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

    http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

  2. #597
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,852

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post


    I thought I had laminated a funky shaped tiller or two! You putting an extension on it?
    Perhaps. I'll wait and see how the boat sails and how sensitive it is to fore and aft weight distribution. I'm also not quite sure how to make an extension. Another curved lamination, but skinnier? Have you made one for such a curved tiller?


    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    That tiller needs a cobras head. Nicely done.
    By cobras head do you mean a turk's head knot on the end? I may add one if I find myself weather-bound at anchor one day.
    Alex

    “It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

    http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

  3. #598
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,852

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Not immediately obvious from this picture is a major screw-up. When I was building and figuring out the placement of the cockpit seats and the relative seat back geometry, including how to attach the hinges, I completely neglected to take into account the thickness of the hatches that turn the seatback storage areas into watertight lockers. To be fair, when I was building that, I didn’t actually have the hatches in hand, but the information was available online, so, unforgivable, really.

    As a result, with everything now installed and bedded down, and because the hinge pivot pins align with the wood underneath the hatches, not in front of them, the seats/lower hatch covers don’t open properly. They now only open part way, to about 45 degrees. This is not immediately fatal, as I can still get stuff in and out, but it’s going to be a bloody nuisance.

    I am going to go ahead and get the boat in the water this season and figure out a fix over the winter for next year. It will probably require major surgery of some sort.

    Alex

    “It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

    http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

  4. #599
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bainbridge Island WA
    Posts
    5,027

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18


    Should have been more specific, I was thinking something like this.
    Steve

    If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

  5. #600
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,852

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post

    Should have been more specific, I was thinking something like this.
    That would work, although the one in the picture doesn't look like it stows neatly when not in use.
    Alex

    “It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

    http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

  6. #601
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Posts
    4,823

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    RE: Tiller extension...you could use a straight one with the pushpin type mounting and just stow it below when not in use, perhaps? Need for one will depend on how the boat balances fore & aft, though...may not be necessary. I'm guessing you won't be sitting up on the coamings much

  7. #602
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    357

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    As for motor up or down, I've found with my chebacco that the motor down and sails up, there's not a noticeable drag if there is a fair wind. I suspect that you might find the same.
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

  8. #603
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,852

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    RE: Tiller extension...you could use a straight one with the pushpin type mounting and just stow it below when not in use, perhaps? Need for one will depend on how the boat balances fore & aft, though...may not be necessary. I'm guessing you won't be sitting up on the coamings much

    I suspect that I won't need to move around much in the cockpit to affect the balance, as the hull is pretty wide there with a lot of buoyancy. However, I could see times where it would be nice to huddle up behind the aft cabin bulkhead to get a little shelter from wind and/or rain when beating to windward, say. Tiller extension would be needed then. Something removable, as you say.
    Alex

    “It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

    http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

  9. #604
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,852

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bateau View Post
    As for motor up or down, I've found with my chebacco that the motor down and sails up, there's not a noticeable drag if there is a fair wind. I suspect that you might find the same.
    That is what I am assuming, Bruce. Time will tell.
    Alex

    “It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

    http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

  10. #605
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bainbridge Island WA
    Posts
    5,027

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bateau View Post
    As for motor up or down, I've found with my chebacco that the motor down and sails up, there's not a noticeable drag if there is a fair wind. I suspect that you might find the same.
    I think the hole in the bottom of my Eun Mara for the motor well causes more drag than the motor itself. One of these days I might figure out how to close it up but it is really tight down there. The CoPogy has a lot more access.
    Steve

    If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

  11. #606
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wrocław, Poland
    Posts
    13,081

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    I suspect that I won't need to move around much in the cockpit to affect the balance, as the hull is pretty wide there with a lot of buoyancy. However, I could see times where it would be nice to huddle up behind the aft cabin bulkhead to get a little shelter from wind and/or rain when beating to windward, say. Tiller extension would be needed then. Something removable, as you say.
    What's this "beating to windward" nonsense, Alex? It's a motor sailer, innit?

    Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

    www.tompamperin.com

  12. #607
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Norwich,United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,304

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    If you look around,there are several sorts of retaining clips for tiller extensions,would one be useful?


  13. #608
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Rushworth, Australia
    Posts
    985

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    Perhaps. I'll wait and see how the boat sails and how sensitive it is to fore and aft weight distribution. I'm also not quite sure how to make an extension. Another curved lamination, but skinnier? Have you made one for such a curved tiller?




    By cobras head do you mean a turk's head knot on the end? I may add one if I find myself weather-bound at anchor one day.
    No, a real carved snakes head, when I first saw photo it resembled a snake about to strike.

  14. #609
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,852

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    I think the hole in the bottom of my Eun Mara for the motor well causes more drag than the motor itself. One of these days I might figure out how to close it up but it is really tight down there. The CoPogy has a lot more access.
    Steve, I have plans for a hinged flap that I am calling a splash plate, although I haven't built it yet. It would be hinged aft so that it can be swung up out of the way to put the OB in and out. When down it would be held in place by barrel bolts.
    Alex

    “It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

    http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

  15. #610
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,852

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    What's this "beating to windward" nonsense, Alex? It's a motor sailer, innit?

    Tom
    Yeah, yeah. I have hopes being able to actually sail the thing to windward on those rare occasions when the wind is enough but not too much and the sea state is not too bad. A guy can dream.
    Alex

    “It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

    http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

  16. #611
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,852

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    If you look around,there are several sorts of retaining clips for tiller extensions,would one be useful?

    Hadn't seen that one. It might work. I'll file it away for when I get round to needing/building an extension.
    Alex

    “It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

    http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

  17. #612
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,852

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    No, a real carved snakes head, when I first saw photo it resembled a snake about to strike.
    Got it. Not sure I want to associate that kind of aesthetic with this boat, but I see what you mean
    Alex

    “It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

    http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

  18. #613
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,852

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Got the polycarbonate windows installed in the pilothouse. The polycarbonate came with protective plastic film on both sides. I used a utility knife to score the plastic film on the inside and removed that bit where it bears against the frame. I taped the hell out of the frame, inside and out, so that the stickum/caulk would only get onto the exposed window material and corresponding part of the frame.



    Applied a bead of caulk and stuck them in, thumped them home to bed them, then scraped off the excess. It was more straightforward than I thought it would be.

    Next morning removed the tape and the film. The results as good as I hoped they would be.

    Alex

    “It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

    http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

  19. #614
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wrocław, Poland
    Posts
    13,081

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    Hadn't seen that one. It might work. I'll file it away for when I get round to needing/building an extension.
    Or, use an elastic hair band you find on the beach. That's what I use on my boat...

    Looking fantastic, Alex. What a neat boat. Is Tad Roberts going to be able to attend the launch or participate in some early trials? It must be fun for a designer to see a good builder tackle a new design (is it new? Or have others been built?)

    Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

    www.tompamperin.com

  20. #615
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,702

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    The windows look great, but I'd forever worry that stickum alone wouldn't be trustworthy. But I suppose this is how my car windshield is secured?
    -Dave

  21. #616
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Norwich,United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,304

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    The windows look great, but I'd forever worry that stickum alone wouldn't be trustworthy. But I suppose this is how my car windshield is secured?
    Probably better with no fasteners than with.Polycarbonate is notorious for thermal expansion and tightly fitted fasteners are likely to propagate cracks.If fasteners are essential,it reduces the risk of cracking if the clearance holes are a bit oversize and the heads of them aren't countersunk.

  22. #617
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,852

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Or, use an elastic hair band you find on the beach. That's what I use on my boat...

    Looking fantastic, Alex. What a neat boat. Is Tad Roberts going to be able to attend the launch or participate in some early trials? It must be fun for a designer to see a good builder tackle a new design (is it new? Or have others been built?)

    Tom
    Thanks Tom.

    Unlikely that Tad will attend the launch. For one thing, I haven't set a launch date and he would probably need to take considerable time off to come down-island just for that. He is a very busy guy and this project is pretty small fry compared to most of what he is involved with. I will have the boat at both the Classic Boat Festival in Victoria and the Wooden Boat Festival the following week in Port Townsend. He is likely to be at one or both of them.

    As for the "good builder" part, I wouldn't presume to put myself in that category. I'll wait to see how people react to seeing the boat in the flesh. If they like it and think I've done a good job, I'll tell them who the designer is. If not, I might have to stay sturm to protect Tad's reputation.

    p.s. This is the first boat, and as far as I know the only boat being to this design, at this point in any case.
    Last edited by AJZimm; 08-16-2022 at 08:47 AM. Reason: forgor to answer one question
    Alex

    “It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

    http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

  23. #618
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,852

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    The windows look great, but I'd forever worry that stickum alone wouldn't be trustworthy. But I suppose this is how my car windshield is secured?
    Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    Probably better with no fasteners than with.Polycarbonate is notorious for thermal expansion and tightly fitted fasteners are likely to propagate cracks.If fasteners are essential,it reduces the risk of cracking if the clearance holes are a bit oversize and the heads of them aren't countersunk.
    I'm not too worried. The actual area of the frame edge is fairly large. I talked to a guy who does this all the time and he recommended the approach and the goop I used. As for expansion, the coefficient of thermal expansion of polycarbonate is well known and I calculated how much it would likely expand in this climate. The range of temperature is not that great here. It is only a couple of millimetres in total in the long dimension. I installed it at somewhere near the top third of its likely range. I left enough room for it to expand without hitting the frame. In the other direction, shrinkage won't be an issue.
    Alex

    “It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

    http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

  24. #619
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    san juan county washington usa
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Does polycarbonate crack?
    The windows really make the boat!
    What kind of goop did you set the windows in with?
    Looks great!
    Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    Probably better with no fasteners than with.Polycarbonate is notorious for thermal expansion and tightly fitted fasteners are likely to propagate cracks.If fasteners are essential,it reduces the risk of cracking if the clearance holes are a bit oversize and the heads of them aren't countersunk.

  25. #620
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,852

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Moore View Post
    Does polycarbonate crack?
    The windows really make the boat!
    What kind of goop did you set the windows in with?
    Looks great!
    Thanks Eric.

    Crack formation and propagation in materials is a whole field in itself, one in which I know just enough to be dangerous. As I understand it, there are two main modes of crack propagation failure in polycarbonate sheet. One is from cyclic loading of the material over its design limit, either from physical loads or thermal loading. The other is that there is some sort of stress riser or initial break in the material that starts the crack and then it continues under load. Polycarbonate is better at limiting crack propagation than glass, say. We all know how glass propagates a crack. But polycarbonate is not as good at resisting crack propagation as wood, where, once the crack reaches the boundary between lignin and cellulose in the wood fibres, the energy tends to dissipate sideways along that boundary. That is why wood generally doesn’t fail from fatigue.

    On the advice of the installer guy, I used a polysulphide – Life Caulk from Boatlife. He was careful to warn me to only use kerosene to clean up the stuff off the polycarbonate if it got where I didn’t want it. Apparently paint thinners and alcohol can cause hazing and clouding of the surface.
    Alex

    “It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

    http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

  26. #621
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,852

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Standing rigging for the main mast is done.

    Bowsprit and associated stays.


    In this case, because the forestay is also the jib luff line, the running rigging for the jib is also done:


    Including the furling drum, furling line and jib sheets.


    On to the running rigging for the rest of the main mast and the mizzen.
    Alex

    “It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

    http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

  27. #622
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Posts
    4,823

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Just. Wow. I wish I could be at PT, bit it's not in the cards this year. I'll have to hold out for a photo of you at anchor in some nice cove with some warm light coming out through those windows

  28. #623
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Rushworth, Australia
    Posts
    985

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    looking fantastic - you’ll have a great time at Pt Townsend. That cabin looks very snug, I can imagine brewing a coffee and looking out at surroundings.

    Is that a tricolour at mast head Alex? Could you do me a favour and put up a photo of it and how you’ve exited the mast wiring? Thanks

  29. #624
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,852

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Just. Wow. I wish I could be at PT, bit it's not in the cards this year. I'll have to hold out for a photo of you at anchor in some nice cove with some warm light coming out through those windows
    Sorry to miss you at PT. I'll try to get a picture of the boat at anchor. Not sure about the warm light, though. The lights I installed are LED and they are pretty white but, bizarrely, they also have a blue setting.
    Alex

    “It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

    http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

  30. #625
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,852

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    looking fantastic - you’ll have a great time at Pt Townsend. That cabin looks very snug, I can imagine brewing a coffee and looking out at surroundings.

    Is that a tricolour at mast head Alex? Could you do me a favour and put up a photo of it and how you’ve exited the mast wiring? Thanks

    Andrew, it is an all round white light. Port and starboard nave lights are on the pilothouse sides. I plan to use the masthead light as an anchor light as well as a steaming light for when under power.

    The mast is still up as I am doing the rigging. I'll try to remember to take a picture when the mast is down next.
    Alex

    “It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

    http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

  31. #626
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    northeast Ohio
    Posts
    2,848

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Just catching up here with your build....
    The windows look great.
    And on to the rigging!
    I was there last year at this time.... Trying best I could to get her in the water for a few runs before winter.
    Good luck.

  32. #627
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,852

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Quote Originally Posted by timo4352 View Post
    Just catching up here with your build....
    The windows look great.
    And on to the rigging!
    I was there last year at this time.... Trying best I could to get her in the water for a few runs before winter.
    Good luck.
    Thanks Timo
    Alex

    “It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

    http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

  33. #628
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,852

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    I spent most of yesterday leathering the jaws for the gaff and the boom. Straightforward but time-consuming:

    Alex

    “It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

    http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

  34. #629
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,702

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Very nice.
    -Dave

  35. #630
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,852

    Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

    Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Very nice.
    Thanks Dave
    Alex

    “It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

    http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •