Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 1011

Thread: Building the CoPogy 18

Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

After a few days away from the boat while I visited relations, I have got back to it. I see that I haven’t posted any pictures of the sanding, glassing, fairing, sanding, fairing, sanding, fairing and so on. Looking at my collection, I don’t actually have that many pictures, perhaps because it is pretty boring.

Here I am fairing the bare hull, prior to glassing it, with long boards:

This is the first application of the 6 oz glass. I didn’t run it down over the lap joint between the top two strakes, but stopped it and started it again. 6 oz glass doesn’t take well to sticking down to sharp corners. I figure the double thickness of the lap joint compensates for not running the glass over it.

Fast forward to the glassed, faired and sanded hull, it was finally ready for painting. Used the laser level to mark the LWL.

I am using this anti-foul paint. It is loaded with copper and the can is at least twice as heavy as you think it should be because of that. It requires very thorough mixing.

This is what it looks like after the first couple of coats. The instructions on the can recommend at least 3 or 4 coats. I think I will do 4 at least.
    Alex

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.”
    - Vincent van Gogh

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

Nice Alex. I see that doesn't require a re-fresh after hauling like some of the copper paints (I've been using VC-17 on my glass boat). Are you going to be able to use copper for long up there? They have legislation in the works to eliminate it down here in Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Are you going to be able to use copper for long up there? They have legislation in the works to eliminate it down here in Oregon.
    Good question Hugh. I don't know the answer to it.

I rationalized to myself the use of copper-based anti-foul on this boat because it will spend most of its life on a trailer, with comparatively limited time actually in the water.

While some would say that is a reason not to use copper-based paint, the boat will be just heavy enough that it will be awkward to get at the bottom for cleaning when it is on the trailer.
    Alex

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.”
    - Vincent van Gogh

Good point Mine lives in the water so I'm going over what I want to replace the VC-17 with for the next bottom job.

I have been doing 2 things at once for the past week or so.

One is painting the most of the hull in preparation for turning it over. I have finished as much as I am going to do for now. I am leaving the top strake unpainted, as I have to glue and tape the raised topsides to it much later in the build. The topside strake is relatively easy to get at when the hull is right way up, so it shouldn’t be a problem. Here is what the hull looks like at present with anti-foul bottom pain, a contrasting bootstripe and the final topside paint colour.

Starboard side

Port side

The other thing I have been doing is chipping away at completing the centreboard. I want to have it finished so that when I flip the hull I can install the centreboard with the same lifting frame while I am at it. I mused a while back on building some sort of stand to be able to support the CB for glassing, fairing and painting. This is what I came up with. Its main feature is the vertical (in this picture) parallelogram arrangement that supports the board by the pivot pin. With my wife’s help I was able to slide the board in while the stand was on its side and the parallelogram was pivoted down. I banged the pin through, and again with my wife’s help stood it up on its casters and raised the parallelogram part up to vertical and clamped then screwed the braces to hold it there. It’s working well so far and allowed me to wrap the cloth tightly around the foil part of the CB. The top behind the 2x4 cross piece was a little messier and I will have to clean it up and possibly patch it when I get it out of the stand. My plan is to finish epoxying, fairing and painting the foil part while I have it dangling clear.

Alex

- Vincent van Gogh

Very nice solution Alex. Sometimes it seems like half of the effort in working on a wooden boat (building, restoring or maintaining) is in figuring out ways to do things with one or two people that would be far easier to do with four or five people.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Looks great Alex! Although you'd described the tight fit in your shop, it really didn't "click" for me 'til seeing the hull with paint on it, for some reason. Looking forward to seeing it, perhaps at PT next year?

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Very nice solution Alex. Sometimes it seems like half of the effort in working on a wooden boat (building, restoring or maintaining) is in figuring out ways to do things with one or two people that would be far easier to do with four or five people.
    Thanks Chris. You're right. On a small boat, one can usually get by with brute force and ignorance (my method of choice), but when the boat gets to be a little bigger and heavier, you have to think and plan - always a painful exercise.

Looks great Alex! Although you'd described the tight fit in your shop, it really didn't "click" for me 'til seeing the hull with paint on it, for some reason. Looking forward to seeing it, perhaps at PT next year?
    Thanks Hugh. It is a tight fit. The casters on the strongback is really the only thing that makes it possible. I move it from one side to the other and can move it outside to work on it in good weather. Pretty much all the sanding and fairing was done outside.
    I do hope to make it to PT next year, assuming the pandemic is more under control and the festival goes ahead, and assuming a spring launch followed by a summer shakedown cruise, at least.
    Alex

- Vincent van Gogh

Nice work Alex, you got to the paint stage pretty quickly. Can’t wait to see the cavern once you turn her up

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    Nice work Alex, you got to the paint stage pretty quickly. Can’t wait to see the cavern once you turn her up
    Thanks, Andrew. A few more days as I wait for epoxy to set and paint to dry on the centreboard.
    Alex

- Vincent van Gogh

With the help of a buddy, we flipped the hull yesterday, for the last time. While the lifting frame was set up and while there were two of us, we also got the centreboard installed. I cobbled up a lifting beam/strap combination to be able to use the come-along to lift the board up, slide the boat underneath it and drop it down into the slot.

Lining up the board to put the pin in was less traumatic than I feared it would be. Some sliding back and forth, a lot of peering at the hole with a flashlight and my face pressed flat against the bottom, a little lifting and a modest amount of cursing, and in the pin went.

And there the board will stay. Lift pennant, guide tube and winch to be installed at some point.

Two hours to set up the frame, turn the hull, install the board and take down the frame – Bob’s yer uncle. It feels like a major milestone.

The boat is back in the shop now and the interior work can begin. Still a lot of details to be worked out, but now I can turn my mind more fully to them.
    Alex

- Vincent van Gogh

Well engineered!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lesser View Post
    Well engineered!
    Thanks Dave!
    Alex

- Vincent van Gogh

It is a major milestone. Nice work.
    -Dave

Nicely done!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Nice job! Not taking anything away from Roberts but the hull looks "Welsford fast" as in Pathfinder/Navigator with broad sweeping flat panels. Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    It is a major milestone. Nice work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Nicely done!
    Quote Originally Posted by gray duck View Post
    Nice job! Not taking anything away from Roberts but the hull looks "Welsford fast" as in Pathfinder/Navigator with broad sweeping flat panels. Very cool!
    Thanks Guys!

Actually, Tad tells me that the grandparent of the basic hull shape is Tad's "Dick Smiley" design, which was designed to compete in the R2AK race. Lots of other changes to make a racer into a cruiser, including pivoting centreboard instead of dual daggerboards, permanent ballast instead of movable, much less aggressive rig and of course a cabin.
    Alex

- Vincent van Gogh

Spectacular, Alex! I really hope to be able to see her in person one day!

It’s been exactly a month since I lasted posted, so what have I been doing?

A lot of detailed work on the interior, it turns out.

First up were the mast steps.

The mizzen is offset to port about a foot and Tad specified a hardwood step spanning the bottom. I got a piece of Sapele and after much measuring of angles and screwing up the initial cut, I recovered and the result was this:

I’ve concluded it’s not the mistakes you make but how you recover from them that’s important.

The main step is a little more elaborate. This is what Tad calls for – 3 pieces spanning the bottom (which I made of D. Fir) and a piece of hardwood (more Sapele) for the actual step to take the heel of the mast:

Then it was on to measuring, fitting and fiddling with cleats to support the berth flats.

The lash-up of clamps and props to glue all the cleats in:

Tick stick and pattern to define the shape of the flat that has the main mast step and the forward end of the CB case:

And it ends up looking like this, before the ply goes on:

I built a mast box with tapered wedges to guide the heel of the mast in when stepping it. I envision standing on deck, wielding the 20-foot mast and trying to hit the step below without being able to see it well. The box with wedges is the same detail I used on my sail and oar boat, a detail shamelessly stolen from James McMullen on his Rowan. It works really well. The step also has a drain hole in the bottom that will connect via a tube to the space below the cabin sole, where a bilge pump will reside. I don’t expect much, if any water, to get by the boot at the deck, but if it does, I want a place for it to go. Putting in a box and a drain also allows me to make the compartment watertight, for buoyancy in a hard chance.
    Alex

- Vincent van Gogh

I have also been working on installing cleats and flats for the other compartments.

I’m making the small area at the bow between the stem and bulkhead a watertight void space, but with an inspection hatch to be able to access the bow eye bolts.

Next compartment aft is just straight watertight storage:

Her is what the flat looks like in way of the mast step and CB case, with ply fitted. A rectangular hatch will go in on the port side, but the hole is not cut for that yet:
    Alex

- Vincent van Gogh

NICE! But I have to ask about what appears to be a box of carrots, broccoli, corn and other mixed veg that I'm seeing there

NICE! But I have to ask about what appears to be a box of carrots, broccoli, corn and other mixed veg that I'm seeing there
    Organic, free-range boatbuilding?

Actually, it's a foam kneeling pad that I swiped from my wife's gardening shed, to save my shins while I am crawling around the interior. I use knee pads too, but they only protect, well, knees.
    Alex

- Vincent van Gogh

Tad has done some more renderings of the design, which he posted on his facebook page a few days ago. Since not everyone does the bookface thing, perhaps those who aren’t might be interested in them

This one gives a good idea of the size of the boat, with the generic sailor, Mk I, standing in the companionway:

The seriously curved tiller is just one solution I am considering to clear the outboard.

Here is one showing the hull coloured blue, a little darker than the colour I am using, but close.
    Alex

- Vincent van Gogh

Beautiful boat !!!
    Hopefully you will bring it to Port Townsend WBF next year!
    "Little Bear" 1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13