Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Building the CoPogy 18

Default Re: Building the CoPogy 18

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Nice! I don't envy anyone ordering sails these days.
    I had, in fact, talked to the sailmaker in the fall and he said then that it was likely to be months, not weeks, but I think 5 months was longer than even he anticipated.
    Alex

“It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    That is pretty much what I have in mind for Marianita. I am looking forward to seeing your antenna solution, I'm looking at the top of my hollow main mast, it already has a hole for the wire that powers an LED tri-color/anchor light up there. In the meantime I found an adapter cable that let me tie my hand-held VHF radio charging base into the boat's 12volt electrical system.
    Steve, I've started in on the wiring and should be finished the rough-in, as it were, in a few days. Pictures to follow then.

When I built the mizzen mast, I anticipated putting the antenna there so I built a hollow birdsmouth and ran some poly water tubing (1/2" OD. 3/8" ID) up it to act as a conduit for the co-ax. I made and glued on a little flat at the top of the mast to attach the aerial bracket to. The top of the tubing exits the mast just below that and exits above the partner at the bottom. I'll try to remember to take some pictures when I get it all sorted.

Good score on the adapter for the hand-held.
    Last edited by AJZimm; 05-25-2022 at 03:38 PM.
    Alex

One thing leads to another – we all know that – and sometimes it gets a little out of hand. In my case it started with wanting to replace my antiquated handheld, AA-battery-powered GPS, for which I have long been unable to get updated charts because the unit is obsolete by several generations. Also, my aging eyes could use a bigger screen. With the new boat, I thought perhaps I could acquire a larger GPS/chartplotter.

In addition, several times on my Inside Passage trip in Fire-Drake, I found myself in small isolated anchorages where I couldn’t get good enough reception on my handheld VHF to get a weather forecast. With the new boat, which has masts that won’t be struck for rowing multiple times a day, there was an opportunity to install a VHF aerial at the top of one of the masts. That meant that I probably could install a base-station type VHF.

If I got both of these, I would need a much more robust battery to power them, and a power supply to go with it. That meant the outboard I planned on buying should have a generator coil on it, and I should also find room for a solar panel or two. Once there, it only seemed to make sense that I should add navigation lights to be powered by the bigger battery. What about interior cabin lights for those nights when you want to read a bit before going to bed? And how about a small transformer unit to be able to charge up USB-powered devices like my mobile phone, satellite tracker and camera? What the hell, why not throw in an electric bilge pump, in case I ever get water in the cabin?

See what I mean? In for a penny, in for a pound - now I had to design a full-blown electrical system, just as if this were a big boat.

I made an “electrical panel”, glued to the starboard inside of the aft cabin bulkhead, out of a couple of planed-down 2X4s and a ply top (that could also serve as a shelf for the VHF), with 6mm ply for a hinged cover/panel for the switches.

Here is the electrical wiring installation work in progress. Any project during a build has intermediate steps that look rather messy compared to the finished task, but it seems to me that electrical work is worse than most – cut off wire ends, stripped outer coverings, peeled-off label backings, packaging from terminals and connectors – it seems endless. Or maybe it is just me.

Here is the finished product, at least the inside of the panel. The panel isn’t any too big, but there is just enough room.

And here is the outside, with the panel cover closed and latched.

I couldn’t resist hooking up the VHF aerial temporarily and checking out the VHF. It works, thankfully, although it shrieks at me each time I turn it on that it doesn’t have an MMSI number and won’t be happy until it gets one. I have sent in my application for an MMSI.

I have also installed two of the three interior lights. The other, along with the nav lights and the hookup to the solar panels, will have to wait until I have installed the deck and doghouse so I have somewhere to put them.

I had originally thought the job would take a couple of days. It took four and a half, including two trips back to the supplier because first I changed my mind about what kind of terminal blocks I wanted, and second, I misunderestimated how many connectors and terminals and fuses I needed.
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    See what I mean? In for a penny, in for a pound - now I had to design a full-blown electrical system, just as if this were a big boat.
    Yep. All that convenience (for later use) is pretty darned inconvenient during the build. With my vanishingly small capacity for delayed gratification, I doubt I'd ever have the gumption to build it all. Kudos to you for seeing it through!

I'm either very fortunate to care less about comfort than about avoiding work, or I'm just plain lazy. Actually, those are pretty much the same thing, aren't they?

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Deck is glued on, faired, glassed, sanded, faired and sanded some more.

Here is the underlying structure of cross beams and stringers:

This is the lash-up of clamps, wedges and weights used to ensure the ply (6mm okoume) conforms to the camber of the structure:

Here is the outside tape, doubled, with the release cloth overtop:

And here is the more-or-less completed product (before painting) after fairing, sanding, fairing, sanding, fairing, sanding. Did I mention how I don’t much like sanding? On the other hand, the crappy weather finally improved enough on a few days so that I was able to move the boat outside and do the work there.

And here is what I am working on now, the pilothouse/doghouse sides. This one half of the front.

The sides are spec’d to be 6mm ply with some sort of reinforcement arrangement for the windows. I decided to make the windows out of 6mm polycarbonate (Lexan equivalent) and flush with the outside, which meant some sort of backing strips on the inside. That would have meant a lot of fiddly work to make, fit and glue on the strips and corners. After seeing how little material there was left after I cut out the window opening and how light it was, it dawned on me that I could simply double up the thickness and make the inside opening a little smaller. Being mindful of Tad’s warnings about avoiding adding weight up high on the deck, I actually weighed the cut-out side pieces and calculated how much additional weight I would be adding by doubling them, after subtracting the amount that I would have added with just backing strips. Turned out to be less than 3 lbs, or 1.4 kg. That is not much more weight than placing my big binoculars on the house top compared to the cockpit seats, say. I am not worried about it.

Also, for some reason, the face veneers on this particular batch of ply seem to be more splintery than the previous batch, so that when I went at the curves with the jig saw, there was a lot of tear-out when cutting across the surface grain. I found that if I scored the pencil lines with a heavy-duty utility knife before cutting, the splintering stopped at the score lines.
    Alex

are you will be able to open the windows facing forward??
    Boat looks great!!!
    "Little Bear" 1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

That's looking awesome, Alex! It's rapidly (OK...within the homebuilt time frame) becoming a boat

You dont like sanding? But you’re building a boat ………… bwaaaaa hhaaaaaa haaaa you can’t say you weren’t warned

looks great all the same.

The sides are spec’d to be 6mm ply with some sort of reinforcement arrangement for the windows. I decided to make the windows out of 6mm polycarbonate (Lexan equivalent) and flush with the outside, which meant some sort of backing strips on the inside. That would have meant a lot of fiddly work to make, fit and glue on the strips and corners. After seeing how little material there was left after I cut out the window opening and how light it was, it dawned on me that I could simply double up the thickness and make the inside opening a little smaller. Being mindful of Tad’s warnings about avoiding adding weight up high on the deck, I actually weighed the cut-out side pieces and calculated how much additional weight I would be adding by doubling them, after subtracting the amount that I would have added with just backing strips. Turned out to be less than 3 lbs, or 1.4 kg. That is not much more weight than placing my big binoculars on the house top compared to the cockpit seats, say. I am not worried about it.

Also, for some reason, the face veneers on this particular batch of ply seem to be more splintery than the previous batch, so that when I went at the curves with the jig saw, there was a lot of tear-out when cutting across the surface grain. I found that if I scored the pencil lines with a heavy-duty utility knife before cutting, the splintering stopped at the score lines.
    If you have a jigsaw with an adjustable pendulum action it can be used to minimise splintering.

Starting to look like an expedition boat.
    One of the great things about this forum is that we don't all have to accumulate the same scar tissue.
    AJ Zimm

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogsnight View Post
    are you will be able to open the windows facing forward??
    Boat looks great!!!
    Thanks! Windows will not open. I do have a brass ventilator cowl that was given to me that I plan to make a Dorade-type box for, eventually.

That's looking awesome, Alex! It's rapidly (OK...within the homebuilt time frame) becoming a boat
    Thanks Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    You dont like sanding? But you’re building a boat ………… bwaaaaa hhaaaaaa haaaa you can’t say you weren’t warned

looks great all the same.
    Thanks Andrew. I try to take a zen detachment approach to sanding but don't usually manage. Most of the time it just feels like a necessary evil.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    If you have a jigsaw with an adjustable pendulum action it can be used to minimise splintering.
    My jigsaw does have that but it doesn't seem to make much difference. I had a close look yesterday at the sheet I am cutting these pieces from compared to the sheets that I used for the hull. The previous stuff has a much, much finer grain/fibre structure - the fibres on the new stuff are at least 4 times wider.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lesser View Post
    Starting to look like an expedition boat.
    I hope so. With a cabin, it should be much easier to keep the sea on the outside of the hull compared to an open boat.
    Alex

Beautiful work! I've been ogling the original computer modeled design for over a year and was saddened that one hadn't ever been built to see. Looking especially (as are you) forward to seeing how she looks with the P.H. built.

VERY excited to see your wonderful build and will follow it with anticipation.

Wonder if any of the kit boat developers/suppliers might now see this thread and ponder...?

My wife and I had a Fisher P.H. 37 for 17+ years and miss the P.H. for sure 'round the PNW.

Your book is on my buy list for our next cruise in the San Juans/Gulf Is.s.
    Hope to see your boat in P.T. next Sept.
    Cheers! D.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinghy Pipedreams View Post
    Beautiful work! I've been ogling the original computer modeled design for over a year and was saddened that one hadn't ever been built to see. Looking especially (as are you) forward to seeing how she looks with the P.H. built.

VERY excited to see your wonderful build and will follow it with anticipation.

Wonder if any of the kit boat developers/suppliers might now see this thread and ponder...?

My wife and I had a Fisher P.H. 37 for 17+ years and miss the P.H. for sure 'round the PNW.

Your book is on my buy list for our next cruise in the San Juans/Gulf Is.s.
    Hope to see your boat in P.T. next Sept.
    Cheers! D.P.
    Thanks, DP!

The design would lend itself to a kit, for sure. Would reduce the amount of time and work but it is by no means an instant boat.

Thanks for buying the book and I hope to have the boat at the festival in Port Townsend. See you there.
    Alex

Default Building the CoPogy 18

It is perhaps a good thing that the end of the build approaches. I think I many be spending too much time thinking about nothing but boatbuilding, as I woke this morning with this haiku forming in my head:

Fair, sand; sand some more

The seconds fly by like hours

Smooth, never perfect
    Last edited by AJZimm; 06-18-2022 at 07:16 PM.
    Alex

When it came to gluing the pilothouse sides on to the deck, I figured there were at least four ways I could screw it up: sides and front not lining up with the deck and each other, sides not parallel to centreline of boat, slope angle of sides incorrect, not positioned quite right fore and aft.

The first one was dealt with by a little judicious trimming – surprisingly little considering how much room for error there is in setting up the bulkheads, installing the deck, laying out and cutting the sides from the plans.

The other three were taken care of with this lash-up of clamps, temporary braces and zip ties.

I glued them on in three stages over three days: first the fillets along the deck and some dabs of epoxy between the zip ties to hold it all together, secondly remove the clamps, braces and ties and complete the fillets. Lastly add the glass tape to the corners.

Here it is before epoxying:

When it came to a trial fit with the pilothouse roof, I found I had to trim the aft bulkhead just a smidge to get the camber to match the pilothouse camber (checked with the laser level). Likely due operator error as the bulkhead camber line was laid out in the full size plots while the camber of the front is determined by a line laid out with a batten through 3 points. I may have used a batten too flexible or too stiff and so the curve came out a little differently. Even with that done, when I trial fitted the roof again, I found that the opening for the companionway means that the roof at that point flattens out and does not match the camber fore and aft. So, I am making up a couple of beams to constrain the shape in the middle of the roof. Will also add strength, needless to say, in case anyone actually stands on the roof, which they shouldn't as that is where I am putting my solar panels:

Trimming and fitting the beams will be today’s job.
    Alex

Well done Alex, nice to see the full shape emerge.

Bruce
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bateau View Post
    Well done Alex, nice to see the full shape emerge.

Bruce
    Thanks Bruce. Getting there!
    Alex

The lid is on:

Alex

That's really exciting, Alex! Looks phenomenal

Look great, Alex.

Jeff

Looking good!
    -Dave

You're making a lovely job of your boat. Thanks for sharing the electrical install photos- very helpful for me

By leaps and bounds. Is there an interior steering aparatus?

Looking comfy. No need to hail passing cruisers.
    One of the great things about this forum is that we don't all have to accumulate the same scar tissue.
    AJ Zimm

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing it in the water!

That's really exciting, Alex! Looks phenomenal
    Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Look great, Alex.

Jeff
    Thanks Hugh and Jeff!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    By leaps and bounds. Is there an interior steering aparatus?
    That's the plan, eventually. I have gone so far as to take measurements and sketch up a possible arrangement, but I'm impatient to get the boat in the water this summer and not lose the season. If I waited until the inside steering was done, I'd miss it, I think. It will be a project for next winter, perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jeff View Post
    Very nice! Looking forward to seeing it in the water!
    Thanks! Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lesser View Post
    Looking comfy. No need to hail passing cruisers.
    Geez, you take a tow from a passing cruiser one time to get out of a spot of difficulty and they remind you of it forever!
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by biglad View Post
    You're making a lovely job of your boat. Thanks for sharing the electrical install photos- very helpful for me
    Glad to have been of help.
    Alex

The End of an Era: Fire-Drake leaving my stewardship. Picked up yesterday by her new owner.

Alex

The End of an Era: Fire-Drake leaving my stewardship. Picked up yesterday by her new owner.

Someone is getting a great boat, Alex. I hope they intend to put it to frequent use doing the same things you designed it to do.
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Someone is getting a great boat, Alex. I hope they intend to put it to frequent use doing the same things you designed it to do.
    A nice lady from Port Townsend bought it. She is a sailor and a rower, apparently. How much expeditioning she will do with it is an open question.
    Alex

The weather finally turned decent enough a few days ago – warm, and dry overnight for several days in a row, that I was able to get the masts varnished, in between , applying epoxy, sanding, scraping and other jobs.

I also got off my butt and got a few StopLossBags to store the varnish in, between applications. They work just as advertised, amazingly.
    Alex

Looks great Alex! I still have to catch up on my mowing now that it's dry, but then I can play with the boats again a bit. What did you use to get your varnish into the StopLoss Bags? I just got some, too.

I am using the stop loss bags now too, what a great idea. They come with a rubber funnel Hugh, it fits over a quart can and onto the bag. After filling let the varnish on the funnel dry and peel it off.

Edit: From Duckworks they came with the funnel, maybe now you have to order it separately: https://duckworks.com/stop-loss-bags/
    Last edited by rgthom; 06-29-2022 at 12:31 PM.

A heads up to anyone using StopLoss bags: Epiphanes varnish comes in a can that's slightly smaller diameter than most quart cans. The funnel can slip off and that can result in a real mess. Yeah, it happened to me. So be careful when "pumping' the funnel to facilitate transfer. A large hose clamp comes in handy.

Jeff

Yeah, you really get somethere.
    I like those big windows at the cabin.
    Cheers
    Max