X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpatrick
    Measures twice/Cuts twice
    • Jun 2010

Re: Building the CoPogy 18

It's all looking very nice, Alex. I continue to be impressed with your well thought out solutions.

Jeff

Comment

• AJZimm
      Seasoned
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by jpatrick
      It's all looking very nice, Alex. I continue to be impressed with your well thought out solutions.

Jeff
      Thanks Jeff.

I am a little concerned with the visual impact of the height of that grab rail above the hatch runners, but I think if I paint the lower, runner part the same colour as the roof and finish the rail part with Deks Olje, it won't appear so tall. Also, the solar panels will distract the eye somewhat, I hope.
      Alex

“No matter how bad things may seem, you can always make them worse.” - Robert "Hoot" Gibson, Astronaut

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

Comment

• Hugh MacD
        • Apr 2015

Alex, Having frequently seen 3-6' chop in the Straits I don't think your hatch design is overkill by any means. I'd suspect when things get that ugly you'll be ducking in to a nice hidey-hole, but when caught out it'll keep your bunk dry for when you do make that shelter and are ready for some rest

Comment

• stromborg
          • Sep 2010

I built an MG-style hatch too, it isn't very often that Marianita gets water (spray really) over the bow but the hatch works well keeping out rain while letting in air. The only real downside is the "gutter" is a dirt magnet.
          Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
          H.A. Calahan

Comment

• IanMilne
            • Mar 2015

Ditto for Stromborg's. It's a good hatch.
            Ian
            Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
            Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
            Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

Comment

• AJZimm
              Seasoned
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Hugh MacD
              Alex, Having frequently seen 3-6' chop in the Straits I don't think your hatch design is overkill by any means. I'd suspect when things get that ugly you'll be ducking in to a nice hidey-hole, but when caught out it'll keep your bunk dry for when you do make that shelter and are ready for some rest
              Good point, Hugh.

My judgment of when to go and when to stay is far from perfect, and of course sometimes conditions do change quickly without adequate warning from the weather gurus. .
              Alex

“No matter how bad things may seem, you can always make them worse.” - Robert "Hoot" Gibson, Astronaut

Comment

• AJZimm
                Seasoned
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by stromborg
                I built an MG-style hatch too, it isn't very often that Marianita gets water (spray really) over the bow but the hatch works well keeping out rain while letting in air. The only real downside is the "gutter" is a dirt magnet.
                Originally posted by IanMilne
                Ditto for Stromborg's. It's a good hatch.
                Ian
                Thanks for the confirmation, guys. Good tip on paying attention to keeping the gutter clean. If it won't drain because it is clogged, that kind of defeats the purpose.
                Alex

Comment

• AJZimm
                  Seasoned
                  • Sep 2008

Sometimes you have to get creative on how to do a particular task. In this case, I puzzled for quite a while as to how to clamp down the toe rail that I wanted to glue to the deck edge. The deck of this stitch and glue boat is fairly thin, only 6mm (1/4”) ply, not really enough to hold screws without backers. I didn’t really want to add backing the whole length of the deck, as I would have the same clamping issue, but on the inside, and of course screws would mean that many more penetrations through the deck.

I eventually came up with this scheme, which worked well. I made a bunch of wood blocks with cut-outs the same width and height as the toe rail and temporarily glued them down with hot-melt glue. The surfaces next to the rail are covering in plastic packing tape to keep the epoxy from sticking. As the deck has some vertical curvature fore and aft as well as the horizontal curvature, the blocks held them down as well as along to the deck edge.

In a few places I needed very thin wedges and weights to ensure the rails were tight to the deck. I also needed a horizontal wedge in one place to ensure the rail followed the deck. Should have made one more block for that spot.

The blocks come off easily with a sharp sideways whack with a hammer, leaving the glue and a bit of wood behind. The heat gun and scraper then makes short work of the glue.

The actual toe rail wood is leftover D. Fir battens I had made up for lining off planks on a previous build. They turned out to be close enough to what I had in mind for dimensions that I used them as-is. Just sanded them and eased the edges.
                  Alex

Comment

• WI-Tom
                    Seaside Expat
                    • Jan 2009

Alex,

I'm not commenting much here, but I'm following along with great interest. Thanks again for posting. Looks like it's going to be a neat neat boat.

Tom
                    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Comment

• Dave Lesser
                      • Sep 2004

Looks great, Alex. Innovative as always. Those handrails are gonna be your best friends.

Dave
                      One of the great things about this forum is that we don't all have to accumulate the same scar tissue.
                      AJ Zimm

Comment

• AJZimm
                        Seasoned
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by WI-Tom
                        Alex,

I'm not commenting much here, but I'm following along with great interest. Thanks again for posting. Looks like it's going to be a neat neat boat.

Tom
                        I hope so, Tom.

Originally posted by Dave Lesser
                        Looks great, Alex. Innovative as always. Those handrails are gonna be your best friends.

Dave
                        That's what I figured, Dave, especially as I have decided to belay the halyards at the mast, at least for now, which means I have to go forward of the pilothouse to raise, lower and reef the main.

In other news, I just learned that the boat has been accepted to take part in the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival in September. For anyone that will be there, you will be able to see the boat afloat on the dock then. I'll also be making a presentation on the Sunday morning.
                        Alex

Comment

• Hugh MacD
                          • Apr 2015

Wish we could be at PT this year, but it's not in the cards. Too much happening and it's all hinging on finishing this:
                          20220722_075936[1].jpg

Comment

• Bruce Bateau
                            Shallow Water Wanderer
                            • Sep 2016

I look forward to seeing you and the boat there. I'm also doing a Saturday morning storytelling show on the adventure stage. Do stop by.
                            Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

Comment

• AJZimm
                              Seasoned
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Hugh MacD
                              Wish we could be at PT this year, but it's not in the cards. Too much happening and it's all hinging on finishing this:
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]115217[/ATTACH]
                              Maybe next year.

Funny looking boat, Hugh. Not very hydrodynamic and portholes are too big, but I see it has concrete ballast.
                              Alex

Comment

• AJZimm
                                Seasoned
                                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Bruce Bateau
                                I look forward to seeing you and the boat there. I'm also doing a Saturday morning storytelling show on the adventure stage. Do stop by.
                                Will definitely come to hear your presentation and say hello and catch up.
                                Alex

Comment

Working...