Thread: A little video I made today of sailing my GP14

Default A little video I made today of sailing my GP14

Don't expect much, the winds were light. The best part was when I was closer to the lee shore and getting caught up in the larger fetch. Still learning how to take decent video with a gopro (atop the mast) and my nikon AW130. And yes, my jib is loose, I need a shorter turnbuckle on the forstay to take the slack out of it since I changed the roller last month.

"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Default Re: A little video I made today of sailing my GP14

Where is this, Art? I lived in southern NJ for a couple of years, in Brigantine Beach, with a waterside duplex. Thinking back, I end up kicking myself because I didn't find a way to have a little sailing boat to sail the marshes and back bays of the ICW.

Nice to be sailing in September. I hope to get out a couple times yet, but we'll see.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Lakes Bay, between Pleasantville and Ventnor. One of the few free ramps in the area. It's also a place you can really only go sailing at high tide because at dead low, there is only about a foot of water.

The wind was out of the southeast at about 8mph with gusts to 12 (as opposed to the gusts to 30 we are supposed to get in a few days)

lakes bay.jpg
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Love the sound!

Is she a Chipendale? I don't think so. the handles don't look like Chipendales.

Thanks for taking us along!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Wow, she's in beautiful condition!!!!

Thumbs up!👍

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Is she a Chipendale? I don't think so. the handles don't look like Chipendales.
    Series 1 GP 14, a Jack Holt Design, a "sibling" to the Mirror, Enterprise, and other post war plywood boats designed by him. While well known in the rest of the english speaking world, they were only ever sailed and raced here in the NJ region. The Importer was in Philly, so it makes sense. Spark is number 5942 out of over 16,000 built and she is not even considered one of the "early ones"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Wow, she's in beautiful condition!!!!
    She was built in 1964, raced till 1972 here in Stone Harbor. The original owner than sold it to his brother who took her up to Allentown PA for sailing on the lakes up there. If I go by the sticker from the PADNR, she was tucked into his barn from about 1981 till I bought her in December 20017. I then got her seaworthy enough to make it to St. Micheals in 2018 and then spent most of the next stripping all paint and varnish, putting a new deck, and fixing a major split in the mast before putting her back together with all new rigging and hardware to replace that which was broken or missing. I also added buoyancy chambers forwards and aft and foam along the gunwales (hidden behind vanished okoume ply) and under the deck. She will never race again, but I enjoy Spark as a spirited day sailor and occasional camp cruiser.

To be honest, she can be quite scary in a blow. She powers up easily and will leap up onto a plane. The hiking straps come in very handy if you do not want to go swimming. With over 100 s/f of sail and only 300 pounds of displacement, she is very "sporty"

-Dalai Lama

+1 on the soundtrack, that is so evocative.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    Series 1 GP 14, a Jack Holt Design, a "sibling" to the Mirror, Enterprise, and other post war plywood boats designed "
    Yes I owned one for many years. They were principally built by Bell woodworking, who also sold kits, and by Jack Chippendale, yours looks like a Chippendale.

An anecdote, they were first adopted by Aberdovey yacht club in Wales. Aberdovey has an Atlantis myth and at low spring tides you are supposed to be able to hear the church bell, from below the waves.

Which is why the GP 14 has a bell as a sail insignia.

*Aberdovey has corrected it's spelling to Aberdyfi.

According to the plaque inset into cockpit combing, she is a Bell Woodworking boat. I think she was sold CKD and shipped to Philadelphia and assembled here. She used to have a second plaque that tacked to the centreboard case, but it was broken and went missing during the first refit to make her seaworthy to at least float at St. Michaels for the Mid-Atlantic Small Craft Festival.

I still need to a lot of work, I discovered that one of her ribs has cracked, the one just abaft the centreboard case and while I painted the inside of the hull, I need to strip and varnish her ribs and stringers. I also want to sand her smooth once more and redo all the exterior paint and varnish before spring launch.

-Dalai Lama

Downingtown Pa (S/V NIrvana down in Rock Hall, Md)

Years ago I had a GP 14 that I sailed in Great Egg harbor out of Beasley's Point. Lovely area to sail. I lived about my Falmouth Quay Punt in Somer's point right by Maryland ave for 3 years.
    There is a joy in madness, that only mad men know. -Nieztsche

Downingtown Pa (S/V NIrvana down in Rock Hall, Md)

According to the plaque inset into cockpit combing, she is a Bell Woodworking boat. I think she was sold CKD and shipped to Philadelphia and assembled here. She used to have a second plaque that tacked to the centreboard case, but it was broken and went missing during the first refit to make her seaworthy to at least float at St. Michaels for the Mid-Atlantic Small Craft Festival.

I still need to a lot of work, I discovered that one of her ribs has cracked, the one just abaft the centreboard case and while I painted the inside of the hull, I need to strip and varnish her ribs and stringers. I also want to sand her smooth once more and redo all the exterior paint and varnish before spring launch.
    They were all imported by Wright's boatworks in Conshohocken. Shipped here flat, and assembled in Conshy.
    There is a joy in madness, that only mad men know. -Nieztsche

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Yes I owned one for many years. They were principally built by Bell woodworking, who also sold kits, and by Jack Chippendale, yours looks like a Chippendale.

An anecdote, they were first adopted by Aberdovey yacht club in Wales. Aberdovey has an Atlantis myth and at low spring tides you are supposed to be able to hear the church bell, from below the waves.

Which is why the GP 14 has a bell as a sail insignia.

*Aberdovey has corrected it's spelling to Aberdyfi.
    I was reading a Serious book on King Arthur last night, It goes through all the references in History (mostly Welsh and Irish), Showing where they tie in to what can be proved and what is pure myth and legend..

But one thing it does point out is that it appears there was a very big Tsunami hitting south western England and Wales around the 540-580AD period washing away many coastal towns / states and causing the loss of much low lying ground.. So the myth quite possibly has a grain of truth in there , though long before eglwys had bells..
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Don't expect much, the winds were light. The best part was when I was closer to the lee shore and getting caught up in the larger fetch. Still learning how to take decent video with a gopro (atop the mast) and my nikon AW130. And yes, my jib is loose, I need a shorter turnbuckle on the forstay to take the slack out of it since I changed the roller last month.

you captured the essence of the moment on your lovely boat. The audio might be better than the fine video. thanks for sharing.

Very nice, another thumbs for the sound.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

We have one at the cottage. Lovely boat for a daysail. I really like being on a bench seat, rather than on the hull on my knees.

Very high pointing and makes 2 kts in almost no wind at all.

Easily overcanvassed though. Our mainsail needs a reef.

Thanks for the video.