Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clean, empty shop, thinking about a project.

Default Re: Clean, empty shop, thinking about a project.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    I'd prefer to see a wall of hand tools though. Can be quicker, certainly quieter and less dust. Hand sharpening for the steel quality. Just sayin.

Another one to look at is Angus Expedtion Rowboat. They can supply files for CNC cutting.

https://angusrowboats.com/pages/expedition-rowboat

Got the hand tools covered. Set of 3 Cherry Chisels, several planes, spokeshaves, slick, Japanese saw, big french rasp, and a killer handsaw from Bad Ax Tools. They just don’t take up as much wall space. Everything has its place and time.

Nice boat BTW. Kayak roots obviously.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    I'd prefer to see a wall of hand tools though. Can be quicker, certainly quieter and less dust. Hand sharpening for the steel quality. Just sayin.

Another one to look at is Angus Expedtion Rowboat. They can supply files for CNC cutting.

https://angusrowboats.com/pages/expedition-rowboat

Got the hand tools covered. Set of 3 Cherry Chisels, several planes, spokeshaves, slick, Japanese saw, big french rasp, and a killer handsaw from Bad Ax Tools. They just don’t take up as much wall space. Everything has its place and time.

Nice boat BTW. Kayak roots obviously.

What holds fhe tool platforms in the slots?
    Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    s
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    What holds fhe tool platforms in the slots? s
    Dadoed rabbet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee.007 View Post

By the way Reynard, I drive across St Helena island every time I go to Hunting Island. Reckon they will ever rebuild Hunting Island and drain the freaking water?
    When’s the last time you were there? They’ve done some work and it’s better, but a really heavy rain will still flood it.
    If you take a right at Frogmore I’m @ 5.5 miles down on the right. Send me a PM next time you’re out this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I was going to suggest skipping the rowing bit and build a FD class boat. Plenty of exercise but the newfound requirement to make it old age proof tosses that idea out the window. You don't want to be an "Old Man" do you Mark? LOL
    No! That’s why I’m rowing!

What's your view on a drop in rowing rigger? There's not incosiderable cost with them and it's a choice wether you want a real cheap but usefull boat (they're mostly 4mm) or one that costs a bit more but is still relatively cheap for 'a boat'.

One advantage of Oughtred's Snipe fish is it includes plans for the drop in wooden rigger too...

One of the best new sliding seat boats I've seen recently is the Liteboat Litesport 1x. GRP but water just sloshes out the back. Narrow waterline but with lots of secondary stability. I think they're about £4k plus in the UK.

https://www.liteboat.com/the-new-litesport-1x-is-born/

My brother had an Echo rowing shell (from the USA) out in Geneva. The folding rigger system was a boon for storage. Well made that boat. If you see an Echo Islander for sale ever, grab it.

https://www.echorowing.com/echo-isla...duct-info-page

Wow! 3 phase power to your house. How did you convince the utility to deliver that and how much did that cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Arlc View Post
    Wow! 3 phase power to your house. How did you convince the utility to deliver that and how much did that cost?
    I didn’t. I installed a VFD on the bandsaw. Also provides dynamic braking, soft startup and variable speeds. Was about $300.

I very much appreciate all the ideas y’all have sent. I’ve looked at lot of boats and kits.
    Finally made a decision and sprung for the CLC Expedition Wherry. Having dealt with CLC before I am impressed with their products and service. The particular design appealed to me due to the decks, watertight compartments and the ability to get back aboard in the event of a capsize.
    Also I figured that it would be a more rapid build and we see getting into the nicest time of the year here to be on the water.
    Some of the other designs, particularly the Noank appealed more for aesthetic reasons, but practicality won out.

Looking forward to messing up the shop again.

I think you could fit the CLC sailrig to that??? I don't know much about row boats, but maybe the oars will smack the amas... unless you made the akas longer.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn’t thinking.”
    “You’re never beaten until you admit it.”
    - General George Smith Patton

Times must be good at CLC, kit won’t ship out until 11/17! So much for a fall project.

Part of me is thinking of cancelling the order. I’m going to check on availability of materials I would need to build something else Monday and make a decision.
    Last edited by Reynard38; 10-03-2020 at 01:37 PM.

I was looking at the site of CLC's UK agent, found a building log for the expedition wherry, may give you an idea of what it involves.
    https://forum.fyneboatkits.co.uk/viewtopic.php?id=328

They offer the plans and manual separately:-
    "Plans and manual (not required by kit purchasers)

The plans contain sufficient information to build the boat from scratch rather than a kit. They include full size drawings for every part."

https://www.fyneboatkits.co.uk/plans...dition-wherry/

Using your space and that bandsaw you've got to advantage you could have thin slices from a slab of local raw timber pretty easily, cheaply and quickly for a Joel White Bangor Packet. Just sayin. Plans are with Woodenboat Store. You've got the tools. Just a slab of WRC and you're good to go. This one is Sapele.

Last edited by Edward Pearson; 10-05-2020 at 03:33 AM.

Regarding the clear finishes, I had watched some of Nick Schade’s videos a while back and he was using a two-part sprayed finish on a strip built kayak. Don’t remember the exact product. On YouTube.

With varnish I have used Epifanes Wood Finish Gloss and put on multiple coats without sanding in between, as per the instructions. Has held up well so far, but my boat is stored inside.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by oldcodger View Post
    I was looking at the site of CLC's UK agent, found a building log for the expedition wherry, may give you an idea of what it involves.
    https://forum.fyneboatkits.co.uk/viewtopic.php?id=328

They offer the plans and manual separately:-
    "Plans and manual (not required by kit purchasers)

The plans contain sufficient information to build the boat from scratch rather than a kit. They include full size drawings for every part."

https://www.fyneboatkits.co.uk/plans...dition-wherry/
    I am building the CLC Sailrig, and the manual contains a bill of materials for scratch builders. Surely they will do the same for all their designs? Maybe just call them up and ask if they could change your order to Plans only and see if they can get them to you faster? Took mine about 7 days to arrive.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn’t thinking.”
    “You’re never beaten until you admit it.”
    - General George Smith Patton

Thread's title took my attention……….. never happen here……….clean, and empty………..

A small Packaged Terminal Air Conditioner (Ptac) might work better in the shop than a split unit .Thinking of the very real threat of flooding ; everything would be in one place ,well above floor level . Since cooling and dehumidification will be the primary concerns ( even if the unit has a heater ) the unit could be held higher off the floor than typical : say 5 feet . Just low enough to be conveniently operated and serviced . The through the wall installation allows the unit to also serve as an adjustable powered exhaust fan ,which you'll sometimes want in a boat shop ,even as you're trying to control the heat and humidity .
    Last edited by Bill Perkins; 10-23-2020 at 10:56 AM.