Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean, empty shop, thinking about a project.

Default Clean, empty shop, thinking about a project.

So, the shop is vacant and swept. Every tool back in its place. Thinking project.
    If I do get another sailboat once Catnapper is sold itll most likely be small, glass and kept on a lift or hoist.
    My thoughts have turned to a better boat to row. Sliding seat, open water.

I like CLCs kits. This caught my eye.

https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/...on-wherry.html

They are on sale until tomorrow I believe.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Clean, empty shop, thinking about a project.

How about Gentry's RUTH -- a lovely design.

https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/ruth/

"The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Pretty, but with the conditions here I’m thinking a decked design would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Pretty, but with the conditions here I’m thinking a decked design would be better.

Check out this thread on that exact topic - http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ed-Gentry-Ruth
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I was thinking about the conditions where you be rowing also. I see that the CLC boat has a watertight cockpit and that the boat can't be swamped.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Exactly. That’s a big plus. I wouldn’t purposely go out in rough conditions, but if some popped up I’d want to be able to get back. Being able to reboard in the event of a capsize is nice, especially with the critters we have in these waters.

I test rowed the Expedition Wherry at one of the CLC events on nearby Lake Natomas. It was light and fast. I am used to heavier boats, so this felt as if it had very little carry between pulls. My GPS bounced between 5 and 6 kts pulling hard, very quick when pulling.

My own preference for a fast seaworthy pulling boat would be one of the Drakes, the 20' Race Drake would be quick. For rough conditions I would add a snap on fabric deck. http://www.chase-small-craft.com/drake-raceboat

How about restoring a classic boat? I have sheds full of them ! and many other people do also

Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasJordahlRhude View Post
    How about restoring a classic boat? I have sheds full of them ! and many other people do also

Andreas
    Not many classic wooden open water sliding seat rowing craft in these parts.

I have an annapolis wherry that weighs 68 lbs unrigged. Not decked though...
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

I built Gentry's "RUTH" several years ago and this spring I added skin covered fore and aft decks. They only add a few pounds and give a place to put flotation. I used the earlier version in fairly rough water and never had any water get in. It was quite amazing in that you could watch the waves coming and it would look like it was going to be pooped but it always rose right up. So why did I add the decks? Just for the extra confidence and thinking that I would be able to use it in rougher water. I haven't had a chance to really do that yet, but now the weather is turning and it won't be long. But in any case I can recommend the boat completely. It is beautiful, it only weighs about 45 pounds and really scoots.

If I didn't have a Bangor Packet, I'm with Roger on this, the Drake Race would be the dogs danglies. Fabric clip on deck. A boat without riggers is cheaper and easier to load and recover etc. A sliding seat is good for legs as well though. Light is everything if you want to car top it. Prismatic is right for sustained higher speeds on the Drake. I'd say that's where it's at and Clint can cut you a kit too. Can't cost too much from plans in 4mm occume. He probably needs all the work he can get with Covid right now etc and we should conciously try to spread the work around. The CLC boat looks great though.

If your clear of boats, I'd go through every tool and sharpen it first while you've got the time and space. Install more power points, lighting, extraction or even a wood floor. Stuff like that.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 09-25-2020 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post

If your clear of boats, I'd go through every tool and sharpen it first while you've got the time and space. Install more power points, lighting, extraction or even a wood floor. Stuff like that.

Got a chisel than needs to be reintroduced to the stone as well as my spoke shaves. Everything else is sharp.

Pretty much got lighting covered. 6 Titan LED fixtures. Each 6 long.

273A5A74-587B-411E-B3D1-26106136EC19.jpg

Ive got 3 220v and 4 110v outlets in the shop as well as a 110v retractable cord reel.
    Jet dust extractor with 4 tubing to 3 outlets placed around the shop (green tubes) along with a Fien shop vac.

7A1F5542-37AA-4432-AC79-DA485A552B0D.jpg

220FCEAB-D498-46EA-B063-4DF6B777E2C7.jpg70663D72-CC70-49D3-BC72-4EA90BC8CB61.jpg

I seriously considered a wood floor, but the floor of the shop is only @ 12.5 above MLW. Concrete is easy to sweep as well. One thing I might add before next summer is a mini split system to take the edge off the heat and humidity we get here starting in late May.

That looks to be some great lighting ! A question on your dust collection - do you have, or do you need any grounding in the green PVC piping runs (just a question of curiousity) ?

Rick

The lights are fantastic. Titan was great to deal with. When I was building the shop they asked me a lot of questions. Ceiling height, SF, interior finishes, what kind of work, my age and vision. It’s like daylight in there.

I haven’t had any issues with static maybe because it’s usually about 95% humidity here!

Nice bandsaw...

Regarding the decks for open water rowing, the point I would pay attention to in the thread about decks for Ruth is the question of freeboard. I have a 16' decked wooden open water shell somewhat similiar to the CLC expedition wherry, and a 17' undecked whitehall. I've had them both out in moderate chop of 1'-2' and would consider them to be fairly equal in seaworthiness up to a certain point. The deck and coaming on the open water shell keeps the water from coming in but once the wave height gets much over a foot or so the low freeboard makes it harder to keep the oars out of the water on the return. That's somewhat manageable by adjusting the oar height if you have adjustable oarlocks, and one can compensate for it by modifying the stroke, but even so the higher freeboard of the whitehall makes it a more enjoyable boat to row in a chop.

Depending on the conditions you are expecting to encounter maybe look at the Annapolis Wherry from CLC or the Merry Wherry from Wayland Marine? Both can be built with flotation compartments and can be decked.

http://www.merrywherry.com/

https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/...-boat-kit.html

(Oh, and Drake looks fantastic too! Definitely on my list of open water boats I'd love to row someday).
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

I'm pretty sure Wayland Marine is no more, after Mike Snook passed away some years ago. The merrywherry website has not been updated since around 2012, when it was offered for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    I'm pretty sure Wayland Marine is no more, after Mike Snook passed away some years ago. The merrywherry website has not been updated since around 2012, when it was offered for sale.
    Ah! Thanks. I did not know. Their Facebook page has some more recent updates but even so it's been a few years.
    - Chris

Providence with leadsman.jpgNot to far off for a project , how about building ship or boat models. There are some nice kits out there but building from scratch can be challenging

Scratch built Continental Navy Sloop Providence First command of John Paul Jones .

Stay safe but have some fun

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Quote Originally Posted by J. Dillon View Post
    Providence with leadsman.jpgNot to far off for a project , how about building ship or boat models. There are some nice kits out there but building from scratch can be challenging

Scratch built Continental Navy Sloop Providence First command of John Paul Jones .

Stay safe but have some fun

JD
    Beautiful model, amazing detail. I’m needing some cardio and I really like rowing.

Gloucester Gull?
    Not decked, it would need tanks, but a great little boat.
    Then again, peapods have a good reputation

What about Herreshoff's rowboat?
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

As you get older you want a boat that sails upwind, does not dump you in the water, and can be rowed practically even if you have arthritis.

Please post pictures of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    As you get older you want a boat that sails upwind, does not dump you in the water, and can be rowed practically even if you have arthritis.

Please post pictures of those.
    Either a Swampscott Dory or a Peapod come to mind for those requirements.
    - Chris

I like the Liz of Newfound woodworks;
    liz3.jpg
    Needs some modification if you want here decked, in a shop like you have this should be no problem.

Nick Shade's recently designed and built a sliding seat rower Noank.

https://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/cat...k-pulling-boat

Last edited by Edward Pearson; 09-28-2020 at 05:19 AM.

Oooohhhh, that Noank is nice.

Our local rowing club seems to have discarded a single scull or two, and I must admit I'd like to sneak one into the collection.

The Noank is very pretty. I see CLC sells a kit for it a well.
    A bit more work to bail out if I was to take a wave over the side. I’d be rowing on the ICW and we do get some BIG wakes here.

A big consideration will be the fact I’ll be keeping her on my dock. I’ve built a set of cradles that I currently use for the CLC Chester Yawl that I currently row. As such she’ll be out in the weather. The CY has held up very well out there. I’ve got a full cover for it. Could get one made for the new boat as well.
    Either way I’d be very tempted to do either the Noank or the Expedition Wherry all bright. Anybody used one of the 2 part clear finishes like the ones from Interlux or JD? I’m pretty good with an HVLP gun having done quite a bit of painting on motorcycles and race cars. I am no longer interested in applying multiple costs of traditional varnish over several weeks and sanding between coats for boat used several times a week, year round.
    Last edited by Reynard38; 09-28-2020 at 09:28 AM.

still trying to wrap my head around "clean empty shop".....

NICE bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    NICE bandsaw
    Right?! That's what I was saying too. Forget the rowboat. Let's talk about that bandsaw!
    - Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Right?! That's what I was saying too. Forget the rowboat. Let's talk about that bandsaw!
    27” Northfield. 220v, 3 phase direct drive motor. Rewired, repainted, new tires.

I was going to suggest skipping the rowing bit and build a FD class boat. Plenty of exercise but the newfound requirement to make it old age proof tosses that idea out the window. You don't want to be an "Old Man" do you Mark? LOL
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    27” Northfield. 220v, 3 phase direct drive motor. Rewired, repainted, new tires.
    Bandsaw?, heck, I was drooling over that knee mill next to the bandsaw. Or shoot, even his whole freaking shop looks like a Home Depot show room. But yes, it is a very nice bandsaw.

So here is a thought, why not get/build yourself a decent rower, and add clc's sailrig trimaran setup to it? Get tired of rowing, hoist a small manageable sail. Get tired of sailing, drop the sail and row. Get tired of rowing... rinse and repeat.

By the way Reynard, I drive across St Helena island every time I go to Hunting Island. Reckon they will ever rebuild Hunting Island and drain the freaking water?

I'd prefer to see a wall of hand tools though. Can be quicker, certainly quieter and less dust. Hand sharpening for the steel quality. Just sayin.

Another one to look at is Angus Expedtion Rowboat. They can supply files for CNC cutting.

https://angusrowboats.com/pages/expedition-rowboat
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 09-29-2020 at 05:24 AM.