Thread: Jay's Tiny California Shop

Default Jay's Tiny California Shop

This is where we do all the work for "Bright Star". The house was built from the tool shed for building of the first bridge to Balboa Island in 1910. It was the central core of the house that was an ad on later. The garage was made for a model T Ford. Really a tight fit! The house is what is known as a "shot gun bungalow" and has just 800sq. feet of living area. Really a tight fit for the shop which a modern car would not fit into anyway. You are looking at the central heater for the entire house. Air conditioning is south of the border style. Open the front and back doors and you get a through blast of the prevaling West wind which cools the whole house just fine.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 09-23-2020 at 02:31 PM.

Default Re: Jay's Tiny California Shop

Looks great!

I love a cozy shop. It keeps things close at hand.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Thanks Lexi!
    That floor was added over a beach sand and shell concrete slab. My feet didn't like it and neither did any tools that got dropped on it. So, we added some thin sleepers that were fastened in which concrete nails and the conduit just fits in for the wiring.
    The floor has a little spring and is easy on the feet now! The tools like it better to and bare feet don't ground out on it! Band saw and drill press are on the right just beyond that towel that is hanging. Here is a shot from the other end showing the are that was once a changing room for swimmers but is now a space for the metal lathe and joiner planer. Air filter is now in a cupola overhead.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 09-23-2020 at 03:05 PM.

My truly big shop at 32' by 44' is a dust mote. It's heavy in the cobwebs everywhere but especially up on the 13" ceiling. It's deep on almost every flat surface, even in the loft. I use the 3 HP Grizzly dust/chip collection religiously and I vacuum fairly often but it's pervasive and seemingly unbeatable. The only possible way to clean it up will be to set up a dozen exhaust fans and spend hours blowing everything off with a long hose from the compressor set at 120 psi, something which I'll probably never do.

How do you keep yours so clean Jay? It looks like it should be a display in the "Jay Greer Museum of Boatbuilding".

Jealous.

Looks great Jay! I am now reevaluating what is possible in my 12'x16' basement space. That could be a 12'x30' space if I can get my wife to let me knock out a non-original and non-structural wall. I wish my place had a wood floor like yours though. The concrete is hard on the knees.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

Well Gib I can identify with you as I have a shop up North that is a dust catcher too. This one is so small that a good vac and a kid that likes to suck the dust up comes clean like by magic! My shop dust collector does have a floor port for sweepings too. Here is a shot of the coupola that hides the filter set up from the neighbors. It is a simple matter to drop the filter down and clean it when it starts to load up. There is a large drum that can be seen that the dust goes into from a pipe from the overhead filter. It is pretty compact and I like it a lot. It was made by Oneida and is meant for a larger shop than mine so it has a good capacity and does not have to be emptied every week it is more like every few months. Coupola shot later.
    Jay

That is a beautiful little shop!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

That's terrific, it reminds me of my neighbor's shop next door to my parents' summer house in Maine. Everything imaginable, and then some, crammed into a tiny space!

Lovely shop. Full of warmth and character, especially with that wood stove.

It does look tight, but very functional Jay and it’s really nice to see where you work. That Gerstner tool chest looks like it has seen some miles - Kate bought me one for Christmas a few years back but it’s so nicely built that I’m to damned scared to scratch the thing.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Love it, Jay! Like you big shop, my tin shed is a dust collector, but I've reclaimed my "loaner space" and I'm starting the cleanup! Up soon will be wood storage. Any slick ideas on lumber racks?

That's Huge by UK standards.. I like what you've done wit the place though.
    I'm lucky to have 16ft by 8 ft..
    For a small workshop try this.

https://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.c...g-firkle-2020/ and the stuff he makes in there is quite amazing..
    Just an amateur bodging away..