Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: There's no money in lobsters...

Default Re: There's no money in lobsters...

You know this is different. You deserve to go away.

No, Ted, it is not different, and if you cannot see that it is you who should go away.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I am going away by choice. You should go away because of your personal attacks on this forum.

I never have said a bad word about any of you. I am deeply saddened by your words and know how little regard you have for each of us.

[QUOTE=willmarsh3;6280566]I noticed that tug has a lip on the bow to deflect sea spray whereas John Risley's new motor yacht does not.

Granted, affixing a variation of the commercial type of that bow configuration on a pleasure yacht is likely more affectation than practicality, but it does have its uses. The bow was developed so that offshore oilfield standby vessels would have a more comfortable motion while holding station - bow into the wind and waves - beside an oil rig. Since a lot of large yachts spend a lot of time at anchor off the glamorous coastlines of the world, a similar bow would similarly make laying to an anchor more comfortable aboard the yacht. And comfort is the primary concept of large yachts. As a large luxury yacht in warm glamorous locations is less likely to need to be out in seas big enough to broach the bow, the lip at the top is less necessary. My critical comment would be that I hope that there are substantial window screens for those big windows on the foredeck - they would be vulnerable to big greenies coming up over the bow during a transit.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    You seem to think that you can cast unsubstantiated aspersions against people whom I know are not deserving of it, so I thought it only just that I show you what you are throwing about. Stings, doesn't it? Go ahead, mash the button - I'll accept whatever punishment that Scot deems necessary if it will illustrate just how rude, unwarranted, vicious attacks on others feels like.
    Sorry Ted - this is precisely how I see it also.

I hope you get over your pique and are able to look at it later with a calmer mindset. Or... once again I suggest to you... get an editor or 'mediator' of sorts. Someone you trust to be blunt but fair - who will confirm (or rebut) your interpretations. My opinion is - if you don't already have someone like that in your life, you more than most should find them. You've already agreed that your brain is not at the peak of the bell curve. I'm telling you this is an example where you've fallen off the edge of the curve. As you've seen, I'm perfectly willing to be blunt. But you don't trust me to be even-handed. You think I have some personal animus toward you - though I don't. So find that trustworthy person.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I deleted mine but that still does not excuse MMD comments.

Well, it is time for a bit of desk-clearing. Ted made some nasty aspersions about the man who owns the boats in the OP, whom I happen to have known peripherally for many years. I called him on it in post #19, but he persisted. So I used the same brush he was using against him. That had effect, and Ted was righteously angry with me and threatened to have me Scot-ed. He also PM'd me and told me to remove my scurrilous comparison, to which I replied that I would if he removed his comments about Mr. Risley. After a bit more bluster, he has done so, and I will edit my posts after I put this one up.

David G., would you be so kind as to edit your post #18 and #28 to rid them of the nasty comments by Ted & I, please?

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Not all success is corrupt.
    Quote Originally Posted by willmarsh3 View Post

It looks like he's done a lot more than distribute lobsters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Risley
    Wealth consolidates over time, given insufficient safeguards against it, not just in the market, but in the government influence that wealth buys, and thus greater consolidation and more economic power becomes self-reinforcing. From wiki:

Major holdings
    Clearwater Fine Foods

Within ten years of its founding in 1976, Clearwater had grown into one of the largest international food fish businesses by specializing in high return products including scallops, lobster, clams, coldwater shrimp and crab, which it air-freights around the world. It is the largest holder of rights in Canada for each of these shellfish species and by 2008, it owned the rights to all offshore lobster fished in offshore Atlantic Canadian waters and all Arctic surf clams.[8] By 2008, the fleet included ten factory freezers (the largest such fleet in Canada) and the entire international fleet totalled 21 vessels.[8] Its Argentinian fleet fishes Antarctic scallop.[9]

The business became an income trust in 2002 at which time Risley turned the business over to Colin MacDonald.[7][10][11][12] The company has since had a full recovery and has become one of the world largest vertically integrated shellfish harvesters, processors, and distributors.[13] In 2014, they received the Rabobank award for innovation.[14] In 2016 they purchased the largest shellfish producer in the UK, MacDuff Shellfish Group.[15]
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Ted,

mmd was not making accusation, he was making an analogy with a hypothetical, within your industry, to express a point. But I see no personal accusation against you (at least what I see now, if nothing has been deleted). There's a huge difference between the two.

EDIT: The comments have been deleted, but not before I saw them, and I stand by my statement above.

Just to be clear, Bob, Clearwater was the only harvester of offshore lobsters and Arctic surf clams in Canada when it was granted those licenses. The fishery was too far, too expensive, and too unknown to be fished previously. It took balls and a lot of money to build large dedicated ships to take the risk to open a new, unknown fishery. As for inshore lobsters, Clearwater is restricted by law against holding inshore lobster harvesting licenses as the fishery is structured to maintain the fishery as a one-license, one-boat, one-owner/operator business model so that the traditional family enterprise can be maintained. Clearwater is, however, the largest buyer of lobsters from these family-owned enterprises.

Just to be clear, Bob, Clearwater was the only harvester of offshore lobsters and Arctic surf clams in Canada when it was granted those licenses. The fishery was too far, too expensive, and too unknown to be fished previously. It took balls and a lot of money to build large dedicated ships to take the risk to open a new, unknown fishery. As for inshore lobsters, Clearwater is restricted by law against holding inshore lobster harvesting licenses as the fishery is structured to maintain the fishery as a one-license, one-boat, one-owner/operator business model so that the traditional family enterprise can be maintained. Clearwater is, however, the largest buyer of lobsters from these family-owned enterprises.
    Very fair and reasonable points, and I accede to them. Thank you for that info, I appreciate your knowledge and insight. I did see the pic referencing Antarctic scallop in McMurdo Sound and thought, a) that's difficult, and b) hmm, are they depleting stocks at the ends of the Earth now? Hopefully they are doing that sustainably.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    shoulda stuck to sailboats. . .
    no kidding

anyway love the pics. Wish you guys got along better.

"Hopefully they are doing that sustainably."

Well, that is a bit less cut-and-dried. While I know that Clearwater works toward sustainable fishery practices, and uses the available science to work toward that goal, in a totally new fishery such as Antarctic scallops there is just not the depth of science research available to be totally certain that you are fishing sustainably. I do know that they are dealing with a whole lot of countries with interests in the region, so have to keep their nose as clean as they can. The "I hate big business" crowd will allege that Clearwater is taking advantage of a loophole and hoovering up as many scallops as they can before they get caught, and the "I believe in the altruism of Big Business" crowd will say that Clearwater is merely being a brave entrepreneur in a wild frontier. I will be cautiously optimistic about Clearwater's good intentions. No doubt Clearwater is in it to make money, but their past record indicates that they make every effort to do so responsibly so that they can do so for a long time to come. But the science is not there yet to confirm that no harm is being done, AFAIK.

^ I like your objectivity.

Edits complete.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Thank-you.

Antarctic fisheries, sustainable? Who are we kidding? The only reason people even go to Antarctica to fish is because all the more accessible places have been "sustainably used" to depletion.

Meteor looks very much like Marie. I had a tour of the latter once, while at anchor down south. Magnificent.

John Risley, the son of a military police commander and then insurance broker, began as a real estate agent in Halifax, NS. During a slump in the real estate market, he and a friend started a business buying lobsters from local fishermen and selling them out of the back of a pickup truck in Bedford, a suburb of Halifax, in 1976. He did good. He named his company Clearwater Seafoods. He likes boats.

This is his sailboat:

This is his powerboat, that is recently been sold:

He has ordered a new powerboat that will be delivered next year:

There's no money in lobsters....
    He's not going to be happy when he finds they built the hull upside down!
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    Antarctic fisheries, sustainable? Who are we kidding? The only reason people even go to Antarctica to fish is because all the more accessible places have been "sustainably used" to depletion.
    And free ice.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    I deleted mine but that still does not excuse MMD comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Edits complete.
    Thank-you.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    anyway love the pics. Wish you guys got along better.
    group hug?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    He's not going to be happy when he finds they built the hull upside down!
    That's the best comment to this type of boat I've heard so far. Good one!

Mr. Risley also owns (and I believe races it locally) one of these:

He has both, Paul, but a sailboat like Meteor isn't the vehicle to go to Antarctica aboard. To quote John:

“My first love is sailing, absolutely. Having said that, if you are going to spend a lot of time on the water, then you have to realize there are limits associated with sailing, especially when it comes to longer trips and the logistics that come with that.”
    Well put.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

With reference to the thread title. I have eaten quite a few lobsters and I have never found any money in one.

USS Zumwalt.

A destroyer pretty much defines the concept of, " go anywhere, anytime," no?

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 11.48.43 AM.jpg

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    USS Zumwalt.

A destroyer pretty much defines the concept of, " go anywhere, anytime," no?

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 11.48.43 AM.jpg

Kevin
    I have no problem with your statement about destroyers in general, Kevin, but maybe the Zumwalt isn't the proper one to use as an example. With all her problems with ammunition, stability, cost over-runs and delayed delivery she may not be the best example of destroyer capability. Just sayin'...

I have no problem with your statement about destroyers in general, Kevin, but maybe the Zumwalt isn't the proper one to use as an example. With all her problems with ammunition, stability, cost over-runs and delayed delivery she may not be the best example of destroyer capability. Just sayin'.
    Point taken.

I was trying to show that a reverse bow/stem is well thought of as a design element for a seagoing vessel. The ammo, stability and cost overruns really don't undermine that position, I don't think, anymore than a failing paint job would.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Here's a Norwegian offshore support vessel:

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 12.03.00 PM.jpg

Here's a tug:

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 12.04.12 PM.jpg

Nat Geo Ship ( it ordered three of these)

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 12.05.14 PM.jpg

Wikipedia states that more than 100 X-Bow ships have been ordered from builder, Lindblad.

Kevin

In that context, then, yes, Zumwalt has certainly redefined the shape of fast seagoing ships. Here is a bit about the 'X-bow' featured on Mr. Risley's new boat - maybe it will explain to some why classic looks are not the priority:

According to comparative tests done by Ulstein, the X bow design with its sharp hull does not generate a spray as it cuts through the waves. As the ship parts the waves efficiently, the wave energy transfer is less and the loss in vessel speed is negligible. Moreover, as the X bow cuts through the waves instead of pitching over them, there is considerable less amount of green water on the ship’s deck as compared to the ships with conventional hulls. This also implies that there is almost negligible bow flare and slamming resulting from the same in the front part of the ship.

The X bow hull design ships provides smoother movement of the ship with less slamming, which also makes living and working environment on the vessel better and reduces the chances of cargo shifting. According to a study, X bow design reduces the movement of the ship by almost 20% even in the roughest seas. A ship with an X bow design can thus easily sail through heavy waves with better speed and less movement. Opinions taken from seafarers who have worked with X Bow reflect much better living and operating conditions. Some of the officer even mentioned that unlike in ships with conventional bows, speed in X bow ships didn’t require to be reduced when facing rough sea weather.

X bow design was first introduced to acquire higher speed with reduced slamming and vibration problems during adverse weather conditions. However, according to the makers, the X-bow design offers several other advantages over the conventionally designed bow. Bourbon Orca was the first ship launched by Ulstein with an X bow design in 2006.

Though mainly used for offshore support and supply vessels, the X bow design has seen a considerable increase in demand across various types of vessels and are now designed even for container and naval ships.

Thanks, Michael.

Interesting about lack of bow rise being wetter ( which I intuited) but alos being smoother since less slamming and deceleration ( which I had not thought of)

Kevin

Kevin, when Ulstein first unveiled their new bow configuration there was a flurry of tech papers published by the navarch science institutions about it. I read a few of them that were published in the SNAME organ, Marine Technology. The tow tank results were quite remarkable, and videos of full-size ships in rough water (the North Sea oil patch) confirmed the theory and tank results. Quite a break-thru in hull design.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    With reference to the thread title. I have eaten quite a few lobsters and I have never found any money in one.
    I know the feeling! I've eaten thousands of oysters and found no pearls at all! Only grit.
    Rick

Mr. Risley also owns (and I believe races it locally) one of these:

That’s a very admirable accreditation.