Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A depressing day

Default A depressing day

Every morning, I rise a lot earlier than my wife, I make a cup of coffee, and I go outside on the deck behind my living room, and read the news on my iPad. I read a huge cross section of opinion, from the far left, to the far right, and everything in between....

...and today, all I can say is that it has been the most depressing day in the realm of ‘news’ that I can remember.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: A depressing day

First day of fall.
    wha hoppen ta spring?
    Romney now.... I think they have won.

It is clearly inevitable. The ONLY ray of sunshine will be if Barbara Lagoa isn’t the nominee. She actually believes that poll taxes are constitutional... despite the 24th amendment.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Have you worked out your funeral plan yet?

My Most Fervent Wish Is That I Will Not Be Replaced Until a New President Is Installed"
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    and today, all I can say is that it has been the most depressing day in the realm of ‘news’ that I can remember.
    I thought today started out pretty good.
    Life is complex.

Time to intersperse your news with videos of kittens and puppies.

I review far right news sources
    Which ones?

The world remains full of beauty and wonder for those with eyes to see and ears to hear. To be reminded of this in the moment is to have one's hope restored. Which is not to say that I don't suffer from the same predilections, struggles and depressions, because I certainly do.

All or virtually all of the world's great religions warn of the perils of worldliness, which is to say, they warn that to become overly consumed by the affairs of men to the exclusion of all else is its own form of death, in a way. This is because we occupy a fallen, corrupt world and it has always been thus.

Still, there will always be travel, new love, friendships, flowers, the changing leaves of Fall, literature, babies, wine, food, music, art, the sea, and many other things with which to engage and seek enduring meaning.

who knew? sky's a glass half full guy

wow

i mean, he's wrong, but still. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

In all seriousness - Time for a little Vivaldi. Each season is stands on its own. There will never be another one like it. Maybe a motorbike ride to DD for a coffee and creme donut.

Attachment 68965
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 09-22-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Perspectives can also be broadened by appreciating all of the things that one does have, and humbly giving thanks for them. To do so tends to erode cynicism and one might find a welcome softening of the eyes.

Norman speaks regularly of the sufferings and resolve of his grandparents and his justifiable admiration of them. It might do well to reflect on those things with more consistency amidst the present bounty.

There is little to be happy about nowadays.
    We are all affected by Covid. Many have had it and most people have loved ones or friends die from it.
    We are about to have a 6-3 right wing conservative Supreme Court.
    As a result, corporate America will now have free reign to pollute the earth, put their foot down on the head of the American worker and in all likelihood pay even less taxes then they do now.
    Voting rights, civil rights, woman's rights will all take a beating.
    Social reforms will be swept away. Healthcare will be taken away from tens of millions of people.
    The rich will become richer, the poor will suffer and the middle class will carry the tax burden for the entire country.
    If you are a well-to-do white male, you'll be OK.
    The rest of the country is screwed for decades to come.
    All this because Putin helped put an illegitimate president in the WH and Moscow Mitch helped to steal the Supreme Court.
    Apparently, there is one poster to this thread who will be happy with all of the above.

In the midst of all this darkness, it is good to remember the good things in our lives, but that doesn't
    do anything to stall the coming storm.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

In my car I've got the radio tuned to a station which transmits every hour a couple of serious good news messages.
    In combination with the sometimes depressing everyday news, which is presented every hour as well, this is a rather refreshing concept.
    The good news creeps into your brain, even if you have a preference for the dark side, as Norman sometimes has.
    Something similar must be available in the USA I presume.

The only thing that calms the raging storm within me is spending time with my wife
    and spending time in my shop building my new boat.

Norman speaks regularly of the sufferings and resolve of his grandparents and his justifiable admiration of them. It might do well to reflect on those things with more consistency amidst the present bounty.
    Tell that to the families of the 200,000 dead from this virus... or the millions who may suffer its lingering effects, if they were lucky enough to survive it.

Tell that to the millions who are homeless....

...or tell it to the 20 million Americans likely to lose affordable health insurance if Trump wins.

Tell it to the millions of Americans who are out of work... or the hundreds of thousands of small (and I mean TRULY small) businesses who have gone belly-up in recent months.

No amount of sparkly pink unicorns are going to make a difference to any of these people... but rest assured, the 1% who are raking in huge profits and enjoying whopping tax cuts aren't going to notice, either.

it is good to remember the good things in our lives but doesn't do anything to stall the coming storm
    Indeed. Hence, the perils of worldliness.

Tell that to the families of the 200,000 dead from this virus... or the millions who may suffer its lingering effects, if they were lucky enough to survive it.

...or tell it to the 20 million Americans likely to lose affordable health insurance if Trump wins.

Tell it to the millions of Americans who are out of work... or the hundreds of thousands of small (and I mean TRULY small) businesses who have gone belly-up in recent months.

No amount of sparkly pink unicorns are going to make a difference to any of these people... but rest assured, the 1% who are raking in huge profits and enjoying whopping tax cuts aren't going to notice, either.
    Norman, if it is your wish to choose to focus entirely on these things in spite of the unhappiness and depression it causes for you, then by all means continue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    Norman, if it is your wish to choose to focus entirely on these things in spite of the unhappiness and depression it causes for you, then by all means continue with that.
    My wish is to face reality, and NOT to simply block out the truth. If the latter appeals to you (as it apparently does), then I feel truly sorry for you. I'm no Christian, but unless I have been deceived, Christianity demands that we are our brother's keepers... something I have always believed in, despite my agnosticism.

Sitting on your deck being depressed about the state of the world, Norman, is not "facing reality." It's just sitting on your deck being depressed.

I've said nothing in this thread justifying your unkind remarks (nor Rich Jones' for that matter). As I say, if you want to feel miserable and depressed about worldly matters (a topic you bring here with some regularity) then by all means indulge yourself.

For what it is worth, there are liberals on TV saying that another Trump appointment to the Supreme Count is a done deal.

I hope they are wrong.

Going back to the GWBush administration, I remember saying, "People will stop voting against what is best for them when they have experienced enough pain." That moment seems never to come. If another Trump appointment results in killing universal health care, women's rights of all kinds, gay rights, and all the rest, I guess we all just need to continue suffering because so many voters who would vote liberal are just too lazy to get off their @ss and vote!

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

if all of the day to day headlines are making you depressed, you might want to try some counseling. it doesn't sound healthy to stay fixated on things you have no control over.

I guess I'm not sure why Norman started this thread in the first place. He reads news (across the political spectrum, he claims), and there is something about the news on this day that is more depressing to him than any day he can remember.

What is the value of these observations, Norman? Why are you sharing them with us?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    if all of the day to day headlines are making you depressed, you might want to try some counseling. it doesn't sound healthy to stay fixated on things you have no control over.
    Au contraire. Citizenship and patriotism demand, of each of us, an engagement in the critical national interests that affect all of us. If your prescription for ignoring the pressing and serious problems of American society is based on the notion that you actually 'like' the political momentum (irrespective of the broad suffering of millions), then I would suggest that you are abdicating your responsibility, as a citizen.

Each of us are obligated to participate. Until relatively recently, that obligation was brutally real, when young American men were exposed to the draft and forced to fight a foreign war (except, of course, those whose daddy could pay for some corrupt MD to declare that sonny boy has 'bone spurs'). The end of the draft didn't relieve any of us of our obligation to participate... or, at the very least, CARE.

It's worse than I thought:

• Democrats are officially out of options to keep President Donald Trump from pushing through a nominee to fill the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's Supreme Court seat.
    • Utah Sen. Mitt Romney came out in favor of a floor vote on Ginsburg's replace on Tuesday, dealing a fatal blow to Democrats' hopes of gaining enough Republican defections to keep the seat open.
    • Democrats needed four Republicans to break ranks, hoping at least some would follow the precedent Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell set in 2016, when he thwarted President Barack Obama from filling the late Justice Antonin Scalia's seat until after the election.
    • Ultimately, Democrats secured only two Republican defections — Sens. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Susan Collins of Maine — leaving them with no recourse.
    • There are stalling measures they can take, but between a lame duck confirmation and McConnell's ability to call for a vote to change Senate rules, Democrats are now in checkmate.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgdhp

Au contraire. Citizenship and patriotism demand, of each of us, an engagement in the critical national interests that affect all of us. If your prescription for ignoring the pressing and serious problems of American society is based on the notion that you actually 'like' the political momentum (irrespective of the broad suffering of millions), then I would suggest that you are abdicating your responsibility, as a citizen.

Each of us are obligated to participate. Until relatively recently, that obligation was brutally real, when young American men were exposed to the draft and forced to fight a foreign war (except, of course, those whose daddy could pay for some corrupt MD to declare that sonny boy has 'bone spurs'). The end of the draft didn't relieve any of us of our obligation to participate... or, at the very least, CARE.

no one said to not participate. you can vote and do your part, but there's not much more that you can personally control. making yourself depressed with the daily news is only detrimental to your own self and those around you.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    And therein lies the problem. We don't have any control. Not even our vote on Nov. 3rd is safe. Barr and the new Supreme court just might hand this country it's first defacto dictator. Trump loses but has his hand picked judges hand him the election. Once in office again, it will be Trump unleashed. The GOP, Barr and the Supreme Court will stand idly by while Trump slashes and burns his way through political enemies and shreds the U.S. Constitution.
    No amount of happy, clappy distractions are going to help.
    The only cure is the complete and utter destruction of Trump and the GOP on election day.
    Tremendous and irreversible damage will already have been done to this great country by Trump, but booting him out will have some small satisfaction.

no one said to not participate. you can vote and do your part, but there's not much more that you can personally control.
    That might have been the rationale of the citizens of countries where an unprecedented power grab at the national level changed a democracy into an authoritarian dictatorship. THEY probably thought it could never happen, either.

"For what it is worth, there are liberals on TV saying that another Trump appointment to the Supreme Count is a done deal."

fwiw, there is no liberal candidate. Now, get the DNC to stop pushing Rep Lite on us.. and you can plan on iDJ winning, again - again, because Dems have done their level best to alienate leftist voters. Don't blame the voters. blame the lack of real choice the 2 sides of the one American party offer.

https://www.salon.com/2019/06/19/joe...f-hes-elected/
    Last edited by Durnik; 09-22-2020 at 02:06 PM.

There is always bad news, and these days such a lot that it can be overwhelming.

And yet there is always hope. I am hopeful that a change is gonna come. Not absolutely 100% convinced... but determined to help it as I am able --

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...20#post6280520
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

It's really good to face up to the reality. Anything else leads to error, and eventual failure.

But it's also necessary to move on in hope, while setting the dire facts aside while you do. In a way, I think that's what RBG meant when she said, "It helps to be a little deaf sometimes".

More of her relevant wisdom --

"Real change, enduring change, happens one step at a time."

"Don't be distracted by emotions like anger, envy, resentment [and despair]. These just zap energy and waste time." -- RBG

We are living in an era where the tides have turned against The Enlightenment, and the forces of good in general. None of us - alone or in concert - are going to turn that tide. And yet even the least among us can help to both slow that tide... and to set the stage for the eventual, inevitable, turn. I know life is not easy for you right now. Is is the case for many. But don't let it overwhelm you if you can help it.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post

or tell it to the 20 million Americans likely to lose affordable health insurance if Trump wins.

Timing is important. The government has mistreated the poor since I was a kid. It has created many of the poor. That has been true regardless of which political party has been in control.

Yet, it is popular to claim one is not part of the 1% but are downtrodden.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    There is little to be happy about nowadays.
    We are all affected by Covid. Many have had it and most people have loved ones or friends die from it.
    We are about to have a 6-3 right wing conservative Supreme Court.
    As a result, corporate America will now have free reign to pollute the earth, put their foot down on the head of the American worker and in all likelihood pay even less taxes then they do now.
    Voting rights, civil rights, woman's rights will all take a beating.
    Social reforms will be swept away. Healthcare will be taken away from tens of millions of people.
    The rich will become richer, the poor will suffer and the middle class will carry the tax burden for the entire country.
    If you are a well-to-do white male, you'll be OK.
    The rest of the country is screwed for decades to come.
    All this because Putin helped put an illegitimate president in the WH and Moscow Mitch helped to steal the Supreme Court.
    Apparently, there is one poster to this thread who will be happy with all of the above.

In the midst of all this darkness, it is good to remember the good things in our lives, but that doesn't
    do anything to stall the coming storm.
    That, it seems, gives some people joy!
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

They may lose their healthcare even if Biden wins, if Trump gets his nominee confirmed.

I expect when the s**t hits the fan a lot of people will be very upset, but they'll be late to the dance. If they failed to vote for Hillary in '16, they can look in their mirror to see who's to blame.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.