Thread: Rod holders

Default Rod holders

Looking for any advice on rod holders for trolling for my Ninigret.
    It would be easy to spend $500- $1000 for some of these things...
    That is not my intention...
    I am kind of thinking flush mount holders in the decks with outrigger rod holders in them.
    I don't want to spend a small fortune on rod holders, but do need some suitable for trolling for walleye on Lake Erie.
    I will be trolling dipsey divers and jet divers.
    Any advice here without breaking the bank?

Default Re: Rod holders

How you make it depends on your boat's construction. Cruise a marina to look at the many production boats that have a socket in flat narrow deck along each side. Something suitable can be easily made with common PVC plumbing.

I stuck a couple of $45 Attwood, stainless, 30 degree, flush mounts through one of the seats on the Whaler and they seem to work just fine. As mentioned, I could easily have spent a lot more for the same basic thing, though I'm not sure they would be that much better. Time will tell, but so far, so good.

cv-008a.jpg

wh33.jpg

Make sure that you provide ample structure for rod holders. A backing plate of pywood or aluminum and through bolt the holders.

You'll only snag the bottom once --especially with a tight drag, tipwrap or a tangle --to really test your rod holders.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Downingtown Pa (S/V NIrvana down in Rock Hall, Md)

I actually had a great idea for rod holders recently. I will be casting a pair soon in silicon bronze via lost wax. With turks heads in the top and bottom made from thin wax rod.
    There is a joy in madness, that only mad men know. -Nieztsche

If your side decks can't house the canted rod and fixture

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/outri...d-holders-pair

I got some good ones for cheap on eBay.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

I put the cheap ones from Amazon on my boat. They work great. Amarine brand maybe? Certainly straight out of China, but they were cheap and fit the bill. They come in 3 angles, including straight up.

I'm pretty sure they're 304, so I expect some surface rust eventually in the salt. You'll probably be just fine with them in freshwater.
    Attached Images Attached Images