Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I worked for 20 years on the assembly line night shift (6:00 pm to 4:30 am).

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Default Re: I worked for 20 years on the assembly line night shift (6:00 pm to 4:30 am).

We once unloaded a shipment of parts for the Ford plant. The traffic manager called and said he was in a meeting, but the plant needed a box of parts to keep running. I put the box in my Nissan pickup and drove over. The guys at the guard station didn't want to allow my Nissan truck on the grounds. I told them that it didn't matter to me, but when the line went down their boss wasn't going to be happy. They let me through.

Default Re: I worked for 20 years on the assembly line night shift (6:00 pm to 4:30 am).

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    We once unloaded a shipment of parts for the Ford plant. The traffic manager called and said he was in a meeting, but the plant needed a box of parts to keep running. I put the box in my Nissan pickup and drove over. The guys at the guard station didn't want to allow my Nissan truck on the grounds. I told them that it didn't matter to me, but when the line went down their boss wasn't going to be happy. They let me through.
    One of the interesting aspects of the 'Just-in-time Delivery' method of parts stocking pipeline, Jimmy.

I don't even like night watches.
    Last edited by RFNK; 09-21-2020 at 05:09 AM.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    This image pretty much sums it up...
    Yes. In my early years in Retail, I'd wind down at 10pm as the store shut, the Nightshift coming in ten/fifteen minutes beforehand. Many of them would buy cans of caffeine-rich energy drinks, for chugging during their eight-hour stints. Most of them were young undergraduates, squeezing in studying and full-time work. One of them, after weeks of "three cans of Monster" was hospitalised, due to severe ulceration of his stomach lining.

Nightshifts? No thanks.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

1975-77 training, day hours..
    1977- 1983 2 twelve hour days, 2 twelve hour nights, 4 days off and repeat
    1983-1985 2 twelve hour days, 2 twelve hour nights, 2 days off do that 4 times then 10 days off and repeat
    1983- 88, 2 twelve hour days, 2 twelve hour nights, 4 days off. and repeat
    88-96 normal day hours, but travelling the UK, with the travelling outside normal working hours.
    96 to 2001, 5 eight hour days, 2 days off, 5 eight hour evenings, 2 days off, 5 eight hour nights. and repeat..
    2001-2003 4 twelve hour days , 4 days off, 4 12 hour nights 4 days off and repeat

Since then day hours, 07:00 to 15:00 half hour lunch, plus it's 3/4 hour drive to and from work..

I haven't slept well for years..

Retirement...502 working days left...
    Just an amateur bodging away..

'Q', as someone who did a similar schedule since 1968, and retired in 2012 -- I think you will enjoy the transition - just plan to stay busy any way you choose. The change from 'All Ahead Flank' to 'All Stop' in retirement has not been kind to lots of retiring people. (I live in a 55+ retirement community, and see this stuff first-hand ) Best of luck , however you plan to proceed.

Rick

This is precisely why I wonít fly international. Iíve seen what is does to people. Also at least for the captains itís usually the oldest and most senior pilots doing the ultra long haul flights and it really beats them up. The $$ is very good, but doesnít do you much good if you go down for the dirt nap a year after you retire.
    Of course those senior captains wives think itís a great idea, as do their boyfriends.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

People are funny.

And... gotta laugh at our 'sock puppet members' who seem to derive pleasure only from irritating others. Offers great insight into their own, personal pathology.

My sleep patterns were great until I started taking call. I'm not really working that hard, and haven't, for years - but in spite of the opportunity, my sleep patterns are still awful. But - what ya gonna do?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

So what's worse: the night shift or The Bilge?

I confess, I hope that automation makes life better and that becoming a human machine is a thing of the past. Whether it is better or worse is a decision we need to make together as a society. I think it all comes down to pretty basic choices like who profits and how much stuff do we each need? We don't have a great track record on those questions.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    People are funny.

And... gotta laugh at our 'sock puppet members' who seem to derive pleasure only from irritating others. Offers great insight into their own, personal pathology.

My sleep patterns were great until I started taking call. I'm not really working that hard, and haven't, for years - but in spite of the opportunity, my sleep patterns are still awful. But - what ya gonna do?
    George, it sounds like you need to talk to your GP about it.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

[QUOTE=David G;6279448]I worked 'graveyard' (11-7, usually 7 days per week) almost every summer during h.s. and college. I loved it. Get off and run across the street to the bar that opened for us at 7am. One beer. Then home for a quick breakfast. Maybe a nap, and maybe straight to the beach to surf. Another nap or three on the beach between sets. Home for dinner. Occasionally, a final nap before the shift started. I probably averaged 4-5 hours of sleep a day, and did fine. Sure got in a bunch of surfing and such. Though, occasionally, I'd just crash for a full day.

I bartended for a while on eastern Long Island, left work at 5 am. Hurricane swell came through and I was there right after work. Surfed all day, probably caught a 2 hour nap and off to work. Same deal the next day, just too good to not be in the water. Had the following night off and went out for a few drinks with friends. While talking with them I just collapsed to the floor. When you are young you can really push your limits and not know it.

Through college I worked 4-12 Friday night then 8-midnight Saturday and Sunday. I was so glad when I finished school, but then my first job was 6 PM to 6 AM 7 days a week. I really hated that job, particularly when the day guy who did my job called in sick and I got to work 36 straight hours. Made lots of money and didn't have time to spend it. I quit after 6 months to go back to school. I have never worked nights since then.

Worked the night shift “Slime Line” in a fish cannery in Kenai Alaska, in 1982. I now have the skill to gut a fish cleanly in 1 second.

Ralphie

In high school, worked graveyard shifts (midnight-8AM) at a gas station on the Las Vegas Strip, which I liked because it was cooler and the people were pretty weird.

Later on, I worked nights at a Del Monte vegetable cannery, by myself in an old brick plant on the third floor crammed with machines- I ran the Olney washers that sluiced the husks and waste out of the cut corn kernels.

Worked at sugar factories in the lime kiln, hell on earth. Also on the beet cutting floor, changing the blades. And on the cookers, trying not to get burned by the steam. And the filter packs, where the steam hazard was worse. I took over from a guy who had severe burns and nearly died. But I needed the money.

Working nights tends to isolate you. I don't miss it.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

Nothing to do with night shift but something to do with attitude:

On a hot, humid summer afternoon I went to a very traditional brickyard, to order some bricks. There was a guy there feeding timber into the kiln by hand, one strip of bark and sapwood at a time. I've done some pretty bad jobs but this one was horrible. I said to him, I reckon you've got the worst job in Australia! He said, maybe now I have but for 6 months of the year, I reckon it's the best job in Australia! I liked him a lot!
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret