Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I worked for 20 years on the assembly line night shift (6:00 pm to 4:30 am).

Default I worked for 20 years on the assembly line night shift (6:00 pm to 4:30 am).

This image pretty much sums it up.

"We have come to live in a society based on insults, on lies and on things that just aren't true. It creates an environment where deranged people feel empowered." -- Colin Powell, 10/30/18

Default Re: I worked for 20 years on the assembly line night shift (6:00 pm to 4:30 am).

You seem to be saying you spent 20 years of your life existing on drugs and hate.

Why did you do that?

Cool Re: I worked for 20 years on the assembly line night shift (6:00 pm to 4:30 am).

This song sums it up for me.

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Default Re: I worked for 20 years on the assembly line night shift (6:00 pm to 4:30 am).

I did 6 years on 2nd shift and it is still my body clock. The third shift guys were the real questionable ones. lol
    "Deconstruction is not a method, and cannot be transformed into one" Jacques Derrida (19302004)

i worked night shift at a marascino cherry and glace fruit factory for a couple teen summers.

suited me fine at the time. plus, i got me a dollar an hour extra!

Quote Originally Posted by Redrcrvrp1
    You seem to be saying you spent 20 years of your life existing on drugs and hate.

Why did you do that?
    Lighten up.

The point is that working the night shift sucks for most people.

The image lacks percentages. I was mostly in my 20's and 30's. For me hate was maybe 1%. Ibuprofen was also only about 1%. Caffeine, nicotine and alcohol was probably about 32.66% each.

And I haven't lived that way since about 1997.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 09-20-2020 at 06:33 PM.
    "We have come to live in a society based on insults, on lies and on things that just aren't true. It creates an environment where deranged people feel empowered." -- Colin Powell, 10/30/18

As a single young man it suited me fine, 6.30 till 2am. I only ever needed 5 hours sleep so I could work, then sleep, go to Uni, and when that wasn't on surfing, fishing and even skiing (straight from work, sleep in the car, the straight to work again). Al that and very little drinking and no expensive, time consuming girlfriends. Then I did some remote area work for vast amounts of money, bought my first house and went OS.
    Very useful for a single person. Never needed drugs and at that stage only drunk tea.
    I was lucky though, many of my co-workers came to work under the weather.

You posted a picture of what looked like a dreadful existence for you working on the night shift.
    I asked why.
    Whats the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Redrcrvrp1 View Post
    You posted a picture of what looked like a dreadful existence for you working on the night shift.
    I asked why.
    Whats the problem?
    You cannot really adapt to being a husband and father to day time people in a small house and need to sleep during the day and be gone when social activities are always scheduled.

I liked the isolation. I had a hard time adapting back to day shift. The stores were always crowded and I had neighbors I never knew lived there and they were all making noise...
    "Deconstruction is not a method, and cannot be transformed into one" Jacques Derrida (19302004)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcrvrp1
    I asked why.
    Whats the problem?
    What is YOUR problem, Jack? Only 27 posts on the WB Forum and already you're coming across as all aggressive and angry.

Night shift sucks. Millions of Americans work it regardless. Why? To support their families.

Aggressive and angry seems to describe one of us.
    But not me.

Night shift can be useful but only oif you run it, not the other way about. I cannot imagine doing it as a father and husband.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Lighten up. .
    francis
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrcrvrp1
    Aggressive and angry seems to describe one of us.
    That is the third prickly remark you have directed at me in this thread.

Do you have a problem with me? Out with it, newbie.

A sock puppet, I think, Tom.
    Steve Martinsen

Cool Re: I worked for 20 years on the assembly line night shift (6:00 pm to 4:30 am).

I spent a total of about 15 years on second and Midnight shift.
    8 years of it was swing shift.
    My sleep is all ****ed up.

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN
    Say it ain't so!

C'mon Tom, given the illustration I thought it was a fair question.

This is an open forum, how long someone has been here doesnt attract seniority points, though I can understand how someone who worked in one job for years could think it might. Just saying.

Think where the dialogue would have gone if you hadn't taken exception to Redcrvp1's original question.

My own experience of nightshift was hard on my family, so I moved on fairly quickly.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
    I spent a total of about 15 years on second and Midnight shift.
    8 years of it was swing shift.
    My sleep is all ****ed up.
    From 1997 to 2002 I voluntarily worked the C-Crew swing shift at KTP (at the time we received a BIG bonus for doing so). Fridays and Saturdays from 6:00 am until 4:30 pm. Sundays and Mondays from 6:00 pm until 4:30 am.

Then C-Crew was eliminated and I went to the day shift. One weekend about 3 weeks later I suddenly realized I felt... different. After mulling it over for a while I came to the realization that I finally felt rested. Normal, that is.

Now that I'm retired I take lots of naps.
    Whatever works right?

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto
    C'mon Tom, given the illustration I thought it was a fair question....

Think where the dialogue would have gone if you hadn't taken exception to Redcrvp1's original question.
    Seriously? His original question was preceded by a statement, "You seem to be saying you spent 20 years of your life existing on drugs and hate."

My reply was , "Lighten up. The point is that working the night shift sucks for most people."

Ya'll seem awfully touchy this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Domesticated_Mr. Know It All View Post
    Now that I'm retired I take lots of naps.
    Whatever works right?
    The last 15 years I have become a HYUGE fan of naps!

I worked 'graveyard' (11-7, usually 7 days per week) almost every summer during h.s. and college. I loved it. Get off and run across the street to the bar that opened for us at 7am. One beer. Then home for a quick breakfast. Maybe a nap, and maybe straight to the beach to surf. Another nap or three on the beach between sets. Home for dinner. Occasionally, a final nap before the shift started. I probably averaged 4-5 hours of sleep a day, and did fine. Sure got in a bunch of surfing and such. Though, occasionally, I'd just crash for a full day.

As an adult, raising a family, I would not have chosen it.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I have been swept away with Trump enthusiasm for America's industrial past. Yet I was there for the bitter end of it and even though I had the nicest no skill/no education/ great working conditions/ great benefits/ and everything else today's young adults need and have not seen job. I didn't like it and wasn't happy.

Most of that time I worked in an air-conditioned clean room "gluing" together light weight aluminum aircraft parts with prepreg epoxy sheets we would cut off the roll. Even though I was a union machinist, the tools I had to purchase were a Stanley knife and a pair of scissors. Still I b**ched
    Last edited by Landrith; 09-20-2020 at 07:32 PM.

Smile Re: I worked for 20 years on the assembly line night shift (6:00 pm to 4:30 am).

Time to go fishin Tom.
    That's the best part.

I'll be calling on you, Kevin, once I get settled in Norwalk. We can fish together.

Before I retired in 2012, I worked for 32 years for a major computer company, doing maintenance, install, upgrade, and repair. It was not uncommon for me to work a standard 8 - hour day, then get a call to work a repair job through the night. My personal 'record' was a 32 hour 'day' on a repair job , New Year's Day of 1989. I have learned how to catnap to keep going for extended periods.

Rick

2 to 10PM Tool and Die Repair was good for me, Mona hated it. Previous position. Maintaining investment casting wax molds on a 6PM to 6AM not so bad for Mona, as I got to see her off to work. But it was a swing shift and I was a zombie.
    Tom

I did 30 years as a Theatrical "casual" or "on call" and 10 as a full timer. Shifts mean nothing, sleep means nothing. I could sleep when I was dead. these last 6 months have been really weird for me. I have not even worn black once.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Night shift sucks. Millions of Americans work it regardless. Why? To support their families.
    20 years of doing it and now it sucks. Might have considered that at at the time.

I found working the day shift sucks. So I worked for myself and my wife. On hours we set. Why? To support our family.

People have different goals.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    But Chippewa falls?
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    But Chippewa falls?
    Clicking on his 'screen name' and reviewing his (?) Forum posts is quite informative - just saying

This image pretty much sums it up.

the right fits the military too!
    Last edited by Durnik; 09-20-2020 at 11:12 PM. Reason: lexdisic!

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

I worked for years on 3rd and 2nd shift. I kinda liked it. No big bosses around. Much different from assembly line at Ford. A lot of waiting around to see if there would be something to do.

Hurray up and wait.

Ford Hapeville was about across the street and a major customer. We knew the people at Ford and worked to keep the plant going.
    Last edited by Jimmy W; 09-21-2020 at 03:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time
    20 years of doing it and now it sucks. Might have considered that at at the time.

Blah, blah and blah.
    Brilliant as usual.