Thread: Classic 'glass

Default Classic 'glass

While I was in Tofino, British Columbia, I spied this old 'glass speedboat at a shop above the AirBnB we were staying at. We don't see many small (I estimated it at 17 feet LOA) speedboats with a roof over the helm here on the east coast. This is a Hourston (pronounced "her-stun") from sometime in the middle '70's. Hourston Glascraft is the world’s oldest continuously operating fibreglass boatbuilding company, located in North Vancouver. I could live with a boat like this...

IMGP7749.jpg

IMGP7760.jpg

IMGP7756.jpg
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Default Re: Classic 'glass

I could like that. I think a removable "hatch" in the roof for really nice days, and then on colder or rainy days, something you could replace and dog down tight would give you the best of both worlds.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Nicely rigged for fishing and re-powered.
    There are some classic looking glass boats out there, both power and sail.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Nice boat.
    Would it have originally come with the engine mount platform, or is that a later modification?
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

I am willing to bet that is built from some 'heavy-duty' fiberglass . . . .

Like that size & style of boat. And some of those older fg versions are sweet, indeed. I almost added one to our fleet, but dawdled a bit too long. I've always been partial to the old Dorsett's. Now we have a wooden version.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...set_chr_syc_hp
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I have always been fond of this style of powerboat.

hqdefault.jpg

Shame they have disappeared from the water, replaced with almost useless "centerconsole" boats that allow you to walk all around the boat, but not get out of the weather.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    I have always been fond of this style of powerboat.

hqdefault.jpg

Shame they have disappeared from the water, replaced with almost useless "centerconsole" boats that allow you to walk all around the boat, but not get out of the weather.
    Indeed. And that looks like a Dorsett. Here's another --

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Nice boat.
    Would it have originally come with the engine mount platform, or is that a later modification?
    I’m sure the bracket was added. May have been an inboard previously. I’ve seen this done to a number of older boats when the original engine dies.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

I cannot speak to how the boat in the OP was originally powered, but the present engine bracket is made of aluminum, (very well done, btw). The interior and transom seems to be unmolested from original, so it seems it was always fitted with an outboard bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    I’m sure the bracket was added. May have been an inboard previously. I’ve seen this done to a number of older boats when the original engine dies.
    I think it was a mixed bag, but I know many from that vintage were intended for outboards. When I was a kid, my brother (12 years older) and some buddies bought some cheap lakefront land (now worth millions), not far from our Puget Sound cabin, and a Glasspar with a monster outboard for skiing. Later they put a little kicker on it, because I liked to fish and they got tired of rowing me around the lake. In Astoria, there were some older (mostly on the larger side) fg inboards, but most were outboards.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

It's been retrofitted with the outboard pod. Good boats. Built to deal with the heavy debris we encounter coming from the Fraser River on the inside waters of the Island.

Only things I dislike are:
    Not enough room to stand under the hardtop
    The structural wood (stringers and transom) are inevitably rotted unless rebuilt at some point.

I used to live a few inlets north of tofino.

I agree about the lack of standing ability at the helm. Since I looked at the boat I have been thinking about how to overcome that without losing the elegance of the profile. Wood structure was common at the time of building - structural foam was not yet a 'thing'.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    I agree about the lack of standing ability at the helm. Since I looked at the boat I have been thinking about how to overcome that without losing the elegance of the profile. Wood structure was common at the time of building - structural foam was not yet a 'thing'.
    Dealing with a few issues with partially or badly encapsulated wood was what led me to my old Chris Craft. The engine bed logs are encapsulated wood, but the stringers are glass tubes and the transom (being a shaft drive) is solid glass.

As to headroom, one thing I've seen is to go down rather than up, with a footwell built in rather than the flat platform that the seats ride on as built. Just in the centre. A bit of framing and glass means no loss of structural integrity. I'm pretty sure you know someone that could design a good fix

I have thought about the footwell under the canopy. I think that I will tell that person who might be able to design it... <wink, grin>

The boats are pretty common and affordable here. You could get one needing some love and fix it for little money and moderate labour.

The next question is would you take it back through Panama, around the Horn, or through the Nothwest Passage.........

One could do that, but as I know a small boat designer who is good with 'glass and who has a boatbuilder client who wants to diversify his product base, well...

Where’s the fun? Where’s the adventure? Where’s the very real chance of bodily harm and privation?

That comes when I take the new boat out on trials in, say, the Bay of Fundy's thirty-foot tides or maybe the reefs and rocks of the Lahave Islands archipelago. I'll use a repro of that cute aluminum research boat I posted about to do the NW Passage.

Even with a footwell, you'd need a boat with a taller profile.

Check these proportions: Here's a popular, locally-built frp boat, 25 LOA feet with a footwell at helm. Barely over 6 feet hr at the helm.

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 2.47.41 PM.jpg

My point is, I don't think the op boat is deep/ big enough to provide a deep enough footwell to provide standing HR and not change her low-slung profile.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post

My point is, I don't think the op boat is deep/ big enough to provide a deep enough footwell to provide standing HR and not change her low-slung profile.
    She's not. She is a sit down only model.

-Dalai Lama

I think you can do that in less than 25' Kevin. It's not my style of boat but the Double Eagle boats of that OP vintage are well spoken of out here for being tough and good sea boats. Still making them today. / Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Even with a footwell, you'd need a boat with a taller profile.

Check these proportions: Here's a popular, locally-built frp boat, 25 LOA feet with a footwell at helm. Barely over 6 feet hr at the helm.

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 2.47.41 PM.jpg

Kevin
    I remember when we wondered if there would ever be a 50 hp outboard motor. They just kept getting bigger and bigger.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.