Thread: Thing my dad did

Default Thing my dad did

1.jpg

I believe this was the very first police radar detector. Dad worked on radar in WWII and was a ham radio buff, and quite the electronics guy. We had two police radar units in our basement. A friend's '57 Olds was the test car, and he went out looking for radar 'traps'. I remember we learned the radar signal did not like going through the windshield, and we needed to put a small antenna in the grill of the car. You can see the unit on the dash, but I don't think you can see the antenna in the grill.

Radar Sentry came out soon after, and it clipped on the visor. Tom McCahill (I think) did an article on the Radar Sentry in one of the car magazines. By the time it 'went off', it was too late to slow down, and he suggest you just pull over, as your about to get a ticket.
    2.jpg
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Default Re: Thing my dad did

3.jpg

Some here will recall the "elevator" or 'background' music that Muzak and others would broadcast on a special frequency and rent receivers to businesses to make the work place a bit more pleasant.

What makes this particularly interesting is out neighbor directly across the street (whose son and I built the skiff in my avatar) was an executive at Muzak, and had a unit in his home. The neighbor next to him owned a factory and was using a unit my dad gave him. Muzak changed their signals rendering the old sets useless. Of course, they provided one to the neighbor across the street.

It was noon on a Friday when Muzak made the signal switch, and the unit they gave our neighbor didn't work. Dad walked over that afternoon and gave him one that did work.

tower.jpg
    Dad was also a ham radio guy and he put this tower up in our back yard to hold a radio antenna. A reporter from the Newark Evening News stopped and ask him what he was doing, as he was putting it up. Dad said he was drilling for oil. That story got printed and caused some commotion. That was before I was born, but getting of a Facebook forum about growing up in my home town, a number of people my age remember the tower and the story.

As a kid I'd climb to the top and have a great view. I wish I had a picture before my daughter and I took it down, as the trees had grown to where it was no longer visible. We took it down while mom was in the hospital for a few days, and she never noticed.

Lastly, we had quite the shop in our basement.shop 3.jpgshop 2.jpgshop1.jpg

In the photo I'm in, between myself and the bandsaw, a little harder to see is a drill press that came from Edison's shop.

I was probably 8 before I realized all basements didn't have lathes. We had a break to bend sheet metal, a sheer to cut it, a huge compressor, welding equipment, and other machines, and lots of benches with outlets ever couple of feet.

I miss that shop a lot. I couldn't bring it with me, and I had to get rid of it all to sell the house. Museums wanted much of it, but they would not come and get it, so it all went for scrap. Our tennant at the time was quite handy, and he had used the shop some, and he helped me take all the stuff apart, but he found a place to store the drill press.

The Olympia's (docked at Independence Seaport) machine shop has a smaller version of that drill press.

Thought I'd share all this, as some members here will likely appreciate it. It's the one reason I wish we could have stayed in the home but taxes were so high it was no possible.

My neighbor tells me is there anything you can't make on engine lathe and Bridgeport mill. My reply I can't make all that nice woodwork you do. Thanks for sharing.

Love the overhead line shaft machinery. Too bad it was scrapped.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom from Rubicon View Post
    Love the overhead line shaft machinery. Too bad it was scrapped.
    Tom
    How would I go about editing the thread title to 'things" rather than thing?

The shop wasn't always the mess. These photos were taken years after dad was able to go downstairs, and a lot was just used as a place to but things, but when we moved back in, I cleaned it up some, and built my R/C models in it.

Thanks for sharing. That little lathe is interesting. It has two counterrotating lead screws.
    Very unusual, I had the same model back in the 1960's...
    Never seen another one, not even a picture, I used to surmise that mine dated from about the civil war.
    I also had the exact same drill press, Buffalo Forge, First time I ever repoured Babbitt bearings was on the over arm of that machine. I inherited them both as collector items from my great uncle Harry, but I went ahead and put them back to work!
    (They were pretty good little machines and made me as teen aged kid, a one eyed king in the land of the blind.
    By 1970, I had traded them up for more modern versions)

Glenwood Street is by the Iris Gardens, no? You were pretty close to the old Pet and Hobby store. That’s where I spent all my allowance and babysitting money. My best friend lived on Lorraine St. just a few houses in from Valley Road. I lived on Cooper Ave, just below Part St.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Glenwood Street is by the Iris Gardens, no? You were pretty close to the old Pet and Hobby store. That’s where I spent all my allowance and babysitting money. My best friend lived on Lorraine St. just a few houses in from Valley Road. I lived on Cooper Ave, just below Part St.
    That would be me. corner of Glenwood and Valley. Guess that's the small world we often hear about.
    Last edited by John Smith; 09-20-2020 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Thanks for sharing. That little lathe is interesting. It has two counterrotating lead screws.
    Very unusual, I had the same model back in the 1960's...
    Never seen another one, not even a picture, I used to surmise that mine dated from about the civil war.
    I also had the exact same drill press, Buffalo Forge, First time I ever repoured Babbitt bearings was on the over arm of that machine. I inherited them both as collector items from my great uncle Harry, but I went ahead and put them back to work!
    (They were pretty good little machines and made me as teen aged kid, a one eyed king in the land of the blind.
    By 1970, I had traded them up for more modern versions)

Think you mean drill press.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Think you mean drill press.
    Lathe, with two counter-rotating lead screws for cutting threads.
    (very unusual, never seen another one* note red X's)

CD356AAA-B9CC-47BD-9127-5AFFD3AC6851.jpg