Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Shy Trumpies in the Bilge

Default Shy Trumpies in the Bilge

With virtually all of the regularly-contributing Members that are openly supportive of Trump either banned or gone silent, it seems that I'm the only one left right now.

With the social penalty here for such support obvious to all, it is unsurprising that Trump-supporting voices are few in number.

But I find it very difficult to believe that this Forum is really all that different from the voting public generally. Indeed, consider the typical age and race demographic that seemingly predominates here. It is almost exclusively older white men. True? Is that a fair characterization?

It reasonably follows then that there should be Trumpies here in a measure that approximates older white male voters in the US, generally. And that's better than 50% of such voters. Certainly it seems absurd to think that roughly half of the regularly-contributing Members here are shy Trumpies, by that same token it seems equally unlikely that there are almost none.

In light of these things, it seems reasonable to assume that a fair percentage of Trump supporters contribute here, but are either silent about their support or perhaps even pretend to be supportive of Democrats in order to accrue the social benefits that will necessarily obtain from such pretense.

I'd bet we've got a raft of shy Trumpies in the Bilge.

Default Re: Shy Trumpies in the Bilge

i have those sometimes when i have eaten a lot of cheese

Well, I am in a forum full of trump fans. Their vicious blanket abuse of all people from the left is far worse than anything the left dish out here, so it must be said that the social penalty applies both ways. At the moment, one of the Trumpistas is literally calling for BLM protestors to be murdered.

Looking at the boats that attended the Trump flotilla events it seems that the wooden boat owning crowd have very different tastes to Trump supporters, which could explain the lack of Trump supporters here. And perhaps if they were more honest, they wouldn't get banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    social penalty
    what penalty does the anonymous troll bear?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Don't play dumb, Paul. It's unbecoming.

Do you think there are shy Trumpies here? In what quantum?

wooden boat owners
    I grant that may be a fair point, but by the same token, how many regular contributors actually own a wooden boat?

Many of the loudest voices here are never heard to discuss boating (wooden or otherwise) really at all.

Don't play dumb, Paul. It's unbecoming.

Do you think there are shy Trumpies here? In what quantum?
    tlt and david pratt and guy who started the unfortunate thread about shooting thieves last night

other than that, no

Not shy. Nice.
    “Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.” ― Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    tlt and david pratt and guy who started the unfortunate thread about shooting thieves last night

other than that, no
    Then this indeed is the most curious collection of old white men perhaps ever assembled. A little too curious, I'd say.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

I have never met a shy Trumpy.

The silent majority? Derp cut, geezer

And how old are you? 13?

I understand you are connoisseur of fine whine.

"Banning" has nothing to do with a choice of candidates, and everything to do with an ability to speak respectfully to the forum at large which includes the moderator and my mother...
    So perhaps you need to review the stance of those that have been invited to leave.
    You can certainly announce your intention vote for trump, but your vote would be far more effective if you moved to Texas.

Yes, as far as I know, we are all white. And yes, there is a high proportion of ‘older’ people here.However, it is my observation that there is perhaps a disproportionate number of exceptionally smart people here. Now, I suspect you don’t believe in polls (because your cult leader says they are all a hoax), but the rest of us recognize that ‘liberals’ (note : not ‘leftists’) tend to be college educated.... cult members are more likely not. Of course, there are always exceptions; I know several Trump supporters who have high educational achievement.As for those who participate here, especially in the bilge, where the majority of conversation is political, any who are Trump supporters and don’t reveal their preference are more likely to be ashamed, rather than intimidated. It matters not, to me... and, I suspect, it matters not to most of us. Anyone is entitled to air their views here, and anyone who can’t withstand contrary opinions are, to put it bluntly, cowards.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

what penalty does the anonymous troll bear?
    FYI, he mashes the button if you call him a troll.

Scot rapped blooies’ knuckles and he is still weeping.

That’s a shame.

Actually, Norman, Trump enjoys a high percentage of college educated supporters. More than a third of his supporters in 2016 were non-Hispanic whites with college degrees, many of them women.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-behind-trump/

“Shy Trumpies”. Snort. “Baby Lambchop shy”. Come to the sing along!

Still clinging to four years ago, eh?

Life and reality are passing you by.

I have never met a trumper who was willing to make a cogent explanation of why they support him. Other than some right wing talking points which are demonstrable hollow it appears that trumpers are not at all proud of why they support him. He is openly verbal with the reasons why most of his followers are so active although he denies those words and actions in the next breath. Its pretty clear to me and many people here where he gets the rabid support but there are none but denial of those reasons.
    Tom L

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    FYI, he mashes the button if you call him a troll.
    let him mash it

I must say that whenever this anonymous WBF troll calls us all a bunch of “old white men” an image of a fat, twenty-something sitting before a pc in his underwear in his parent’s basement immediately comes to mind.

The closest to a rational Trump supporter I personally know is a local politician who radically believes in very limited government and at the most local possible level. With that, he sees fairly clearly how destructive to federal government Trump is and he cares not that it's all simple stupidity on Trump's part.

He is, by the way, a good father, a very good sailor, and good at his elected county job. As an attorney I'm not so sure, having worked with him on only one case, a welfare fraud case where he was defending and our client would be still in jail had I not gotten on the stand and to his bewilderment demolished the prosecution. But that was his first public defender case out of law school so perhaps he learned a bit before getting on the county tit.

An aside, quite the opposite of the prosecution's case, I was able to show a massive underpayment. They paid her. It's like tax law. Devil's in the detail. And welfare law is a specialty about which few attorneys know jack.

Actually, Norman, Trump enjoys a high percentage of college educated supporters. More than a third of his supporters in 2016 were non-Hispanic whites with college degrees, many of them women.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-behind-trump/
    sorry, SB, but numerous polls clearly demonstrate that college educated whites are far more likely to support liberal/progressive politics, than conservative (or, more properly, ‘cult of Trump’) politics. The article you link to says it clearly.

Sorry, but your attempt to ‘Bill Barr’ that article is laughable.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    He is, by the way, a good father, a very good sailor, and good at his elected county job. As an attorney I'm not so sure, having worked with him on only one case, a welfare fraud case where he was defending and our client would be still in jail had I not gotten on the stand and to his bewilderment demolished the prosecution. But that was his first public defender case out of law school so perhaps he learned a bit before getting on the county tit.
    I'm never more amazed by anything than the fact that all the Trumpers and small government conservatives I know work for, or are retired from, government jobs. With public pensions and government supplied health care, it's like they don't even see the hypocrisy in their own lives.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    I have never met a shy Trumpy.
    You obviously misunderstand the concept.

Not a one of 'em is shy about lying.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    sorry, SB, but numerous polls clearly demonstrate that college educated whites are far more likely to support liberal/progressive politics, than conservative (or, more properly, ‘cult of Trump’) politics. The article you link to says it clearly.

Sorry, but your attempt to ‘Bill Barr’ that article is laughable.
    Well, now you've changed the hypothetical. Not surprising, inasmuch as I've proved contrary data. You wrote:

liberals tend to be college educated... Cult members are more likely not
    I gave you data from a progressive outlet showing that your analysis is false.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Well, now you've changed the hypothetical. Not surprising, inasmuch as I've proved contrary data. You wrote:

I gave you data from a progressive outlet showing that your analysis is false.
    Indeed 1/3 of his supporters were white non-Hispanic college educated voters.

But, the same article points out he lost that demographic by a lot, and currently lags even further behind against Biden.

Polls suggest white people with college degrees nationally are likely to be more supportive of Biden than they were Clinton. (Pew data suggests that Clinton won whites with degrees by 17 percentage points, while Biden leads among them by 23 percentage points.)

It only works with those who don't understand statistics...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

whites with college degrees, many of them women
    Those women, many of them living in suburbia, deserted the GOP in 2018, and there's no actual evidence to suggest they are having second thoughts...

Trump should be trying to woo them back, but instead he's decided to double down on pandering incessantly to the dumber-than-mud, Dimwit Deplorables.

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Indeed 1/3 of his supporters were white non-Hispanic college educated voters.

But, the same article points out he lost that demographic by a lot, and currently lags even further behind against Biden.
    Norman says cult members are more likely not college educated. He's wrong about that as respects the OP. Indeed, using the data, and Norman's suggestion that everyone here is super smart, then a fractional percentage of posters here ought to be Trump supporters (since everyone here is smart, white and probably went to college). Yes?

So there should be a good collection of shy Trumpies here.
    Last edited by Sky Blue; 09-17-2020 at 09:55 PM.

Norman says cult members are more likely not college educated. He's wrong about that as respects the OP. Indeed, using the data, and Norman's suggestion that everyone here is super smart, then roughly 1/3 of posters here ought to be Trump supporters (since everyone here is smart and probably went to college). Yes?

So there should be a good collection of shy Trumpies here.
    the only proof you have provided here is proof that members of the cult of Trump, just like Trump himself, have no problem making claims without providing evidence. Whether your 1/3 assumption about college educated whites is correct or not, your assertion about ‘shy Trump supporters’ here in the bilge has absolutely NO evidence whatsoever. This is to be expected from those who overdosed on the Kool-Aid.

Of course there's no direct evidence. It's circumstantial. It's a supposition grounded in who we are demographically, and what the data reveal about who his supporters have been shown to be.

Simply stated, we have a gathering here that is almost exclusively older white men. We know that Trump takes between 60-70% of that demographic, iirc. Inasmuch as that is so, it seems highly likely that he has more than one or two supporters here. They're just quiet about it, understandably.

other than that, no
    Not, I have not even considered a right wingnut candidate in more than 12 years.