Thread: Never Assume Nothing

Default Never Assume Nothing

You would like to think I would have figured it out by now, to check everything, but no. On an old boat, even if it looks right, double check. I was replacing a funky 12 volt socket. It was wired with a red wire and a black wire. When I connected them to the new plug, I got nothing.

I traced down and replaced the wires---The old socket was wired with the black wire being hot and the red wire neutral......

Once I figured that out, the new socket worked fine
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Default Re: Never Assume Nothing

Once had a motorcycle that would not start. I checked for spark. Good. Pulled a fuel line. Nada. Decided to get into the carbs. Got my wrench roll out, and grabbed the 13 mm to remove the tank to get access. When I went to pull the rubber fuel line, I discovered that the petcock was in the “off” position. Turned it on, and the bike fired right up.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

there is no 'neutral' in a 12v system.. 'return', ok. neutral, no. But yeah, somebody more familiar with house wiring had at that.

and never ignore the obvious, eh? Jim? I've 'fixed' more cars that were out of gas - but the owner sure they weren't - than I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    there is no 'neutral' in a 12v system.. 'return', ok. neutral, no. But yeah, somebody more familiar with house wiring had at that.

and never ignore the obvious, eh? Jim? I've 'fixed' more cars that were out of gas - but the owner sure they weren't - than I can remember.
    Thanks for the information "return" not "neutral"

I am convinced a prior owner or two just grabbed whatever wire was around...
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Get a digital multimeter, which will show not only if there's current in a circuit, but the voltage, resistance , and polarity.

Essential, if you do your own house wiring.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

Or car, or boat, or basically anything electrical...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

On a similar note - at Christmas time I get a lot of requests from Customers who end up with the 'female' end of their holiday lights at the receptacle, and want to know how to build a 'male' to 'male' jumper cord so they can hook the lights up. When I ask them if they are trying to kill someone, I get a blank look - Then I have to explain how they would have exposed live connectors if the light string fell off - then they get horrified that they even suggested that workaround.....

Rick