Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruth Bader Ginsburg: RIP

Default Re: Ruth Bader Ginsburg: RIP

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    They're all trustworthy.

I'M TIRED of all the talk being about 'before' the election in Nov. If all these Republicans LOSE, they're still senators for a couple of months. They may not vote to confirm anyone before the election if they feel it could cost them the election, but their terms don't end on Nov. 4. They have plenty of time AFTER the election and BEFORE the end of their terms to confirm a justice.
    I'd trust a rabid polar bear on meth before I trusted a republican. Graham and Collins in particular are completely Trump owned property.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Perhaps Democrats should win the Presidency and flip the Senate and then run things how they want.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    Perhaps Democrats should win the Presidency and flip the Senate and then run things how they want.
    Perhaps removing toadies and fixers for an immoral crook would be a good thing.

Default Ruth Bader Ginsburg: RIP

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    They're all trustworthy.

I'M TIRED of all the talk being about 'before' the election in Nov. If all these Republicans LOSE, they're still senators for a couple of months. They may not vote to confirm anyone before the election if they feel it could cost them the election, but their terms don't end on Nov. 4. They have plenty of time AFTER the election and BEFORE the end of their terms to confirm a justice.

"I want you to use my words against me. If there's a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say Lindsey Graham said let's let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination."
    -- Lindsey Graham, March 3th, 2016, on blocking Barack Obama's Supreme Court nomination of Merrick Garland.

Dissolve to the present day...

"Well, Merrick Garland was a different situation. You had the president of one party nominating, and you had the Senate in the hands of the other party. A situation where you've got them both would be different. I don't want to speculate, but I think appointing judges is a high priority for me in 2020."
    -- Lindsey Graham today.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    "I want you to use my words against me. If there's a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say Lindsey Graham said let's let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination."
    -- Lindsey Graham, March 3th, 2016, on blocking Barack Obama's Supreme Court nomination of Merrick Garland.

Dissolve to the present day...

"Well, Merrick Garland was a different situation. You had the president of one party nominating, and you had the Senate in the hands of the other party. A situation where you've got them both would be different. I don't want to speculate, but I think appointing judges is a high priority for me in 2020."
    -- Lindsey Graham today.
    The man hasn't a shred of honor or integrity.

Rules are for fools. To the cheaters go the spoils. That’s President Trump’s credo. And he hasn’t been proven wrong yet.

Nah, since the 1880s no Senate has confirmed a SCOTUS nominee from a President from the other party in an election year. Almost 150 years now.

There's nothing special about the treatment of Merrick Garland; moreover, in that year, Obama was a lame duck. Trump, presently, is not. The Republicans currently control both the Presidency and the Senate. Their duty runs to their constituency, not the wishes of Democrats.

Indeed, the Democrats pleaded with RBG to retire during Mr. Obama's first term when the Democrats controlled both houses, fearing precisely this outcome. She demurred. It was a mistake, in the sense that Democrats' worst fears have now come to fruition.

Regarding trolls... MORE good advice from The Notorious RBG ---

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Y'all need to stay grounded in facts, not lies and hate.

In the battle over the US supreme court, Democrats can still have the last laugh

If Biden wins, he could pack the courts. That would be a justified gesture of constitutional restoration, not usurpation

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ats-should-too
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Perhaps,
    Brett Kavanaugh

Could get Squee to sign up!
    PaulF

Mitt Romney has made noises that he will not allow a replacement until at least after the election.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Sipping our brie on comfortable pensions there is no hate. Bemusement maybe. The sad Trumpsters are too shy aren’t they Mr Blue.

Nah, since the 1880s no Senate has confirmed a SCOTUS nominee from a President from the other party in an election year. Almost 150 years now.

There's nothing special about the treatment of Merrick Garland; moreover, in that year, Obama was a lame duck. Trump, presently, is not. The Republicans currently control both the Presidency and the Senate. Their duty runs to their constituency, not the wishes of Democrats.

Indeed, the Democrats pleaded with RBG to retire during Mr. Obama's first term when the Democrats controlled both houses, fearing precisely this outcome. She demurred. It was a mistake, in the sense that Democrats' worst fears have now come to fruition.
    BS SB. Their duty is to the Constitution and the well being of the nation. Watch them tonight as they gin up an attempt to place a justice 5 weeks before the election. McConnell has already announced his intent. Why do you even bother?
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 09-19-2020 at 04:07 PM.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    BS SB. Their duty is to the Constitution and the well being of the nation. Watch them tonight as they gin up an attempt to place a justice 5 weeks before the election. McConnell has already announced his intent. Why do you even bother?
    It's really no bother for them. Gaslighting is super easy. It coasts in on the back of "Clemens Theorem #23" -- A lie can make it halfway around the world before the truth can even get its pants on'. Just keep telling lies and creating chaos... and truth never catches up. <sigh>

Luckily... there are some who still are willing to trip lies as they breeze by... thus allowing truth a fighting chance.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    because he can push a button

Hey, SB, tell that to your President!

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

^well said.

Amazing woman, terrible loss.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    Mitt Romney has made noises that he will not allow a replacement until at least after the election.
    Can he alone stop it?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Can he alone stop it?
    No, which is why he can be brave. It would take 4 republicans to deny Trump to stop him. So the most vulnerable 2 or 3 will vote against while letting it pass. If they even bother with the show. Most likely it will be a party line vote.

They've got til Janu 1, I believe.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvida View Post
    No, which is why he can be brave. It would take 4 republicans to deny Trump to stop him. So the most vulnerable 2 or 3 will vote against while letting it pass. If they even bother with the show. Most likely it will be a party line vote.
    They'll be no election pressure after the election. These people remain in office, even if they lose, for a couple of months.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

So, since the 1880s, How many vacancies have there been in an election year when the president is from another party? I can say with great authority that any one particular thing hasn’t happen since the 1880s if it’s obscure enough...
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

She was asked about the Senate reviewing the USSC nominee, but she mentioned the president as well.

6487BF5F-1225-4066-AA90-233200AF1E0F.jpg
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

How does one explain Anthony Kennedy, appointed by President Ronald Reagan and confirmed by a Democratic Senate on February 3, 1988?

I know this is a popular Federalist and MAGA talking point. Like many of their statements, it’s just factually incorrect.

Brian -- That was my position at the time also.

But the person who had the power to follow established precedent or engage in a bit of legal, but questionable, over-reach... went for the power grab. He changed the precedent.

So the question now is - should he live with the precedent he set, or is having leverage the deciding factor in everything?

You've seen my posts where several prominent R's say that since he set new standards that were convenient to him at the time... he should live with them now.

And now tRump's pet pollster - Rasmussen - is telling him the same thing. That, as a practical matter, he'd be better off letting the nomination come from whoever wins the upcoming election. Because to push the power-grab, Rasmussen says, will result in a backlash from independents and swing voters who DO have some integrity. As one R said, "Fair is fair."

https://www.salon.com/2020/09/19/big...efore_partner/
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Oh... and I'd think maybe the flood of donations immediately following RBG's death would bolster Rasmussen's theory --

Democrats Break ActBlue Donation Record After Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Death

https://variety.com/2020/digital/new...th-1234775920/
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Susan Collins weighs in --

https://www.yahoo.com/news/susan-col...210337225.html

“In fairness to the American people, who will either be re-electing the President or selecting a new one, the decision on a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court should be made by the President who is elected on November 3rd,” Collins said in a statement.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Collins has reversed herself before. She has a price.

Act blue, a fundraising arm of the Democratic Party raised $50,000,000 in her name last night.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

RBG literally gave her all for this country. She may not have been down in the trenches with the soldiers, but her sacrifice is just as real. God speed Ms. Gunsberg, enjoy your rest, you deserve it
    Yeah.

She defended

the Constitution

in sharp contrast to all you bull S liberals who affect this loathsome cowardly half-baked half-ass half-wit chicken S pseudo-cynicism about

the Constitution

that is the only thing that protects all that you take for granted.

FY and your childish absorption with style, too. She had what you never will understand, let alone achieve, because you are foolish, ignorant, petulant children.

Justices of the Supreme Court have traditionally existed above the fray. They wear body-obscuring black robes, stay stoic at the State of the Union address, and prioritize a long-view approach to human events. But Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who died today at age 87, changed that model, because Ruth Bader Ginsburg lived within the fray: Particularly in her later years, she was a justice who was also a celebrity.

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/...ulture/616413/
    She did not "change the model". What did she wear? A bikini? What did she do at the SOU, play the harmonica? You're absolutely wrong, you're in la la land, but more importantly, so F ing what about your stupid model that you wish she had shown? You want a show?

Everyone
    "lives within the fray", that's her point.

Ginsburg, as a jurist, is typically associated with the style of change that is slow and systemic and therefore, the argument goes, sustainable. The film makes a notably different claim. It celebrates Ginsburg, in the end, as a revolutionary.
    Ginsburg is associated not just typically but correctly with the legal style (that word again) of change, which is not revolutionary. It's anti-revolutionary, do you understand? Do you have the F ing ghost of an idea what you're talking about? Here's something to get you started: celebrating her as a revolutionary is incorrect, fundamentally, and dangerously. "She changed the model" is merely ignorantly erroneous and frivolous. She was a Justice of the United States Supreme Court. The major leagues of the Enlightenment, a moral and intellectual movement that goes back centuries, you novelty-craving POS.

You people want something for nothing. You want freedom for free. You want the government to deliver the results you want without your involvement, without even taking particular notice. How tiresome! You want to be rescued by revolution, or at any rate by revolutionaries -- aren't they stylish? Above all you want to be au courant. Above all, you want to be above it all. You're stupid.

RBG sacrificed much to do the work in the real world. You're unworthy of the actual woman. You have no idea of what she did or what it's worth. You only want an image that doesn't challenge your ignorance.
    Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every Athenian assembly would still have been a mob.

-- James Madison, Federalist 55

^

An adult case of colic, playing out in print...

Jeff C