Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruth Bader Ginsburg: RIP

Default Re: Ruth Bader Ginsburg: RIP

Quote Originally Posted by sonofswen View Post
    Collins and Murkowski said they would not vote on a nominee before the election.
    We'll see if they keep their word.
    But I wouldn't bank on it they are republicans.

Well, that's a wrap.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    We'll see if they keep their word.
    But I wouldn't bank on it they are republicans.
    They've reversed themselves before.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Rest In Peace Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

You made a difference in so many ways.

"Reversed"
    How politic, back stabbing is more like it.

I just hope this is true...
    1. Maine Sen. Susan Collins told the New York Times, “I think that’s too close, I really do."
    2. Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski in September said, "Fair is fair," and she would not vote to replace RBG before the election."
    3. South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham in October 2018 said, "If an opening comes in the last year of President Trump's term, and the primary process has started, we'll wait to the next election. And I've got a pretty good chance of being the Judiciary [Chairman]. Hold the tape."
    4. Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley said in July he would follow the Biden rule, "I'm just following what was established by the Biden Rule in 1986 and then emphasized by him in 1992... They set the pattern. I didn't set the pattern. But it was very legitimate that you can't have one rule for Democratic presidents and another rule for Republican presidents."

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., says the Senate will vote on President Trump's nominee to replace Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg who died Friday of complications from cancer.
    https://apple.news/Ay3-oR6etRB-HmRgeP7Hjbw

Evil.

If the vacancy is filled before the election, or before the inauguration should Biden win (and should the Senate flip), the Dems will expand the court.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    If the vacancy is filled before the election, or before the inauguration should Biden win (and should the Senate flip), the Dems will expand the court.
    And with every right and support of the people. When the topic came up earlier this year, in regards to the inevitable if there was to be a Trump win, I thought that might be a step too far myself. Not anymore. Adult personality disorder as political party and choice needs to be crushed into powder, mixed with ablative bottom paint, and slufffed off in the oceans to never be seen again.

My bet is Trump rams through another Federalist lap dog, and even if Biden wins and Dems take the Senate, they won't do squat about it. It would be unseemly to pack the court, we wouldn't want to start an escalating growth of the court, etc. etc.

Personally, I'd impeach the entire bench, take 4 nominations from the minority party, 5 from the majority, and term limit them so every president gets two per term. That'd be too much like fixing the problem though. So as I said, we're going to ignore it and hope things get better for no apparent reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvida View Post
    My bet is Trump rams through another Federalist lap dog, and even if Biden wins and Dems take the Senate, they won't do squat about it. It would be unseemly to pack the court, we wouldn't want to start an escalating growth of the court, etc. etc.
    It will be interesting to see if the Democrats make that same mistake, as they did under Obama, of trying to reason with the unreasonable.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    I just saw the news feed. What an evil, hypocritical SOB! He delayed Obama's pick for what, a year? Please, please let him be defeated in November!

Default Ruth Bader Ginsburg: RIP

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post

And the sky is blue.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I just saw the news feed. What an evil, hypocritical SOB! He delayed Obama's pick for what, a year? Please, please let him be defeated in November!

We are trying to figure out the most strategic use of our campaign donations. The state of Washington is a pretty sure thing for Biden, our Senators aren't standing for election (and if they were, they'd be almost assuredly a shoe-in.)

So... where best to send the money?

Amy McGrath? Because Mitch McConnell is a malevolent slug, and getting rid of him would be a huge win for the Republic even if the Senate didn't flip.

Sara Gideon? Because Susan Collins is a useless bit of protoplasm that consumes precious oxygen?

Someone else?
    Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 09-18-2020 at 10:41 PM.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Taking her oath of office in August of 1993:

A30BB1BD-92CF-4089-B1B9-AAE2102E49FB.jpeg

RIP, RBG.

Just in case anyone wants a reminder about their opinion 4 years ago...

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ghlight=scalia

In any case, RIP Justice Ginsburg. An amazing person and story.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

In 1982. First tenured female professor at Columbia Law School.

F967EC05-1929-4948-B933-36690886DEED.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    We are trying to figure out the most strategic use of our campaign donations. The state of Washington is a pretty sure thing for Biden, our Senators aren't standing for election (and if they were, they'd be almost assuredly a shoe-in.)

Amy McGrath? Because Mitch McConnell is a malevolent slug, and getting rid of him would be a huge win for the Republic even if the Senate didn't flip.

Sara Gideon? Because Susan Collins is a useless bit of protoplasm that consumes precious oxygen?

Someone else?
    I'll split it with you. You pick one and I'll take the other. How much $$$ to each?

Bush v Gore was decided 5-4
    Ted Cruz argues, persuasively, that the vacancy must be immediately filled precisely because of the exigencies associated with the upcoming election and the likelihood that the result may be contested. A potential constitutional crisis, and indeed, a civil war may follow if the election result is uncertain, the Supreme Court is asked to arbitrate contested issues, and they deadlock 4-4.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    Ted Cruz argues, persuasively, that the vacancy must be immediately filled precisely because of the exigencies associated with the upcoming election and the likelihood that the result may be contested. A potential constitutional crisis, and indeed, a civil war may follow if the election result is uncertain, the Supreme Court is asked to arbitrate contested issues, and they deadlock 4-4.

So... one of the parties to the election that is to be contested gets to nominate someone who gets to sit in judgement on said election?

LOL

If the Supreme Court is deadlocked, the existing decision by the lower court stands. That is part of the procedural rules of the Federal courts.

Ted Cruz is bucking to change the rules and put the GOP's thumb on the scales in favor of Trump.

You might try reading the constitution and the United States Code.

The actual election by the Electoral College takes place mid-December (date fixed by statute, per the constitution. 3 USC 2, if I remember aright)

The Constitution provides no quorum rules for the Electoral College - it only provides that "the person having the greatest number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of electors appointed (emph. mine);"

(The 270 number is based on all states hitting the deadline.)

Amendment XII goes on...

"and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote; a quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two-thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice."

So, if a state can't get it together and name a slate of electors... the election proceeds without that state.

If a state produces zero, one or multiple, competing slates of electors... the House of Representatives determines which slate of electors is valid (if any).

The Supreme Court doesn't have a role to play in the election of the President. And they know it, hence the admonition in the Bush v Gore decision that it "should not be used as precedent".

I hate to break it to them, but decisions made by the s
    Supreme Court are, by definition, binding precedent.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

There is no formal rule. tRump has every legal right to nominate someone. And the Senate has the right to confirm, or not.

But there should be a moral rule. That is: pick one. If you are in power, and can decide, you should not swing with the political winds. Whichever position you chose... you should own. Not whichever position is now politically advantageous.

Some more principled R's agree. Grassley is also on record as saying you can't have it both ways. I wonder if he'll remain principled --

Last edited by David G; 09-19-2020 at 12:54 AM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

And the sky is blue.

Someone else?
    How about Mike Espy in Mississippi. https://espyforsenate.com/

Espy wants a Senate debate, but Sen. Hyde-Smith still hasn’t committed

https://mississippitoday.org/2020/09...snt-committed/
    Last edited by Jimmy W; 09-19-2020 at 01:33 AM.

So... apparently the D's do have SOME leverage in the situation --

Democrats Warn GOP: Fill Ginsburg’s Supreme Court Seat And We’ll Nix The Filibuster

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ruth-...b6480e896ef995
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I never thought I would find myself weeping for an American Supreme Court justice, but I am now.

I was privileged to meet Ruth Bader Ginsburg, along with Justice Stephen Breyer (for whom my niece worked as a law clerk from last year), when I was in the US last year. A very great woman and a huge loss, not just to America.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

A great loss to the nation. RIP.
    Structures uninformed by geometry tend towards the ramshackle.

We are trying to figure out the most strategic use of our campaign donations.

Someone else?
    Anyone who has a chance of beating out a Republican. It's not a matter of who is best. It's a matter of supporting all that you can afford.

McConnell
    Collins
    McSally

Three good ones to start with.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Isn't it a sad sign of the times that, instead of celebrating the life of an amazing woman, we have to worry about hypocritical SOBs in DC?

RBG fought to the end - what a brave woman.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post
    I never thought I would find myself weeping for an American Supreme Court justice, but I am now.

I was privileged to meet Ruth Bader Ginsburg, along with Justice Stephen Breyer (for whom my niece worked as a law clerk from last year), when I was in the US last year. A very great woman and a huge loss, not just to America.
    It is delightful to hear from you, even under bad circumstances. What a pleasure it must have been to meet her (and Justice Breyer).

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW
    Just in case anyone wants a reminder about their opinion 4 years ago...

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ghlight=scalia

In any case, RIP Justice Ginsburg. An amazing person and story.
    I remember my opinion on the Merrill Garland nomination. But as it happened the people who shared your opinion prevailed. So now what was good for the goose is good for the gander, eh?

We lost a great American. RIP Ruth Ginsberg.
    "We have come to live in a society based on insults, on lies and on things that just aren't true. It creates an environment where deranged people feel empowered." -- Colin Powell, 10/30/18

Collins and Murkowski said they would not vote on a nominee before the election.
    Even if they lose, they're still senators for a couple of more months.

What do they do AFTER the election?
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    You wouldn't trade this seat if it meant Trump was gone and the Senate flipped to the Dems while they hold the House?
    Not my choice, but no. McConnell will rush this through BECAUSE he sees the senate flipping. Otherwise there's no rush.

I just hope this is true...
    1. Maine Sen. Susan Collins told the New York Times, “I think that’s too close, I really do."
    2. Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski in September said, "Fair is fair," and she would not vote to replace RBG before the election."
    3. South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham in October 2018 said, "If an opening comes in the last year of President Trump's term, and the primary process has started, we'll wait to the next election. And I've got a pretty good chance of being the Judiciary [Chairman]. Hold the tape."
    4. Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley said in July he would follow the Biden rule, "I'm just following what was established by the Biden Rule in 1986 and then emphasized by him in 1992... They set the pattern. I didn't set the pattern. But it was very legitimate that you can't have one rule for Democratic presidents and another rule for Republican presidents."
    They're all trustworthy.

I'M TIRED of all the talk being about 'before' the election in Nov. If all these Republicans LOSE, they're still senators for a couple of months. They may not vote to confirm anyone before the election if they feel it could cost them the election, but their terms don't end on Nov. 4. They have plenty of time AFTER the election and BEFORE the end of their terms to confirm a justice.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    If they get majorities, maybe they can impeach McConnell. And remove him?

I worry about a lame duck congress.
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

David G
    Harbor Woodworks