Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craig's List Etiquette

Default Craig's List Etiquette

Having just sold a car on CL last night & maybe selling a not running generator tomorrow (old Lister-Petter that's seized), I've been dealing with that world a bunch lately.

On the car I got ~10 replies on the first day (I knew I shoulda priced it higher) & I responded to each - setting up a time to view it with the first & letting the others know that they weren't the first to respond, but if the person(s) ahead of them didn't take it, I'd contact them. In this case the 1st person bought it & I then let all the others know it was sold & took down the ad. Every single person I let know it'd been sold thanked me, 2 of them adding that they wished more people did so.

On the generator, I got 5 responses. I emailed the 1st & asked to set up a time. I did the above "you're not the first" with the rest. The 3rd person replied & told me that what order they replied to the ad in didn't matter, but it should be the first to agree to a time. I told him that I would let him know what the 1st & 2nd people said. He replied back that I was doing it wrong.

As it turns out, the 1st person took 2 days to reply & I'd given up (CL has more than its share of tire-kickers) & contacted the 2nd who set up a time within an hour. I'm hoping I don't have to deal with the 3rd - but probably won't as the 1st emailed me just now (& understands that he missed out unless the guy doesn't take it tomorrow).

Am I nuts? This seems like the right way to do it. Anyone agree/disagree?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Default Re: Craig's List Etiquette

Seems OK to me. But then we don't have CL over here.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I had done the same, but because of flakes, I now say that I won't hold an item until you are "on the way", and then I do hold so there is no wasted trip. So yes, first appointment. And then I do send courtesy messages to all the others that the item has been sold.

Also, "Price is firm, no time wasters." (Some showed up and tried to dicker.)

And, "Cash only." (Some showed up with no cash and tried to use paypal.)

I put all of the above in the ad in bold, there are simple guides online on how to do that on Craigslist.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Since there are no formal rules, the person selling has a perfect right to set the sequence. Seems like you're being clearer, fairer, and more transparent than most. Good on ya.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

yeah, i don't do first contact anymore, either. that's old school, and i respect it, but you set yourself up for aggravation, often as not.

but, i have bought more than i have sold on c-list. whenever i want something, i message with my name, location, the fact that i have cash, and my availability. i think that gives me an edge over people who have contacted earlier but don't know how to communicate to a seller.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    I had done the same, but because of flakes, I now say that I won't hold an item until you are "on the way", and then I do hold so there is no wasted trip. So yes, first appointment. And then I do send courtesy messages to all the others that the item has been sold.

Also, "Price is firm, no time wasters."

And, "Cash only."

I put all of the above in the ad in bold, there are simple guides online on how to do that on Craigslist.
    I won;t hold anything without a non-refundable (& a signed slip saying so) deposit. I don't set up 2 appts at the same time/day though. If the 1st doesn't take it, I call/email the 2nd.

I one time had an appt. on a tractor for sale 2 hours away. I called as I left & he said he'd be there. When I arrived, a guy was loading it on his trailer. To say I was pissed is an understatement. The guy loading it even gave the seller a hard time when he heard I'd driven 2 hours. Didn't offer to let me have it though...

When I’ve sold I’ve usually done it first to show up gets it, within reason. As a buyer, I’m ok either way.

I try and do viewings in a first to respond order, but if somebody responds early and can't view within a couple of hours, I tell them up front that I will be making the thing available for other people to view and buy, and I'll let them know if it sells - I've never had a negative response, and a couple of times the person has decided that actually they can come right now. There are too many timewasters and tyrekickers out there, to put a potential genuine buyer off by placing them at the back of the queue.
    But woe betide someone who turns up late (that really grinds my gears), then has the gall to bitch that I sold the thing to someone else. That individual got his verbal back, with interest. *hole!

Pete
    Like a miracle, all the trolls disappeared

I only hold while the person is on the way so they do not waste a trip. That's how I would want to be treated. Usually one hour transit, and I'll give a 100% grace period of an additional hour. If they flake, after that, "No soup for you!"

I always follow a sale with a thank you note for their purchase and say to let me know if any questions. I don't offer guarantees but sometimes they have a problem which I know how to easily solve. I get repeat buyers.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Look. Your selling stuff. If you had a store and a customer comes in and wants to discuss his purchase that's fine. But if another customer comes in and says, " wrap that up I'll take it," you give cust #1 a choice to poop or get off the pot.

Same same for Craigslist. First come first served--but then do message the other interested parties.

Now, if, as in your anecdote, a buyer is coming from some distance, I might make a judgement call on that. But otherwise, first come first served. The majority people shop, but never buy, or even show up. " Buyers are liars," as they say.

Finally, I have no probs with Pay Pal. It's great if you are not a store or business that can take a credit card becuase the buyer can use a variey of payment methods on their end. I just shipped a prop to a guy ( $630) two states away. We never met, only texted. Once the money hit my Paypal account, I shipped him his prop.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

My son found a boat he liked on Offerup which is like Craigslist, he called the seller and was told an offer had been made. My son called him back and asked to be kept in mind if the offer didn't work out. Next morning the seller called, said the offer seemed to have disappeared.
    Son picked me up and we went to look and bought it. Son and seller mysteriously exchanged $4000 with their iPhones and deal was done. While we were hooking the trailer the first guy called. Said he'd gone to look at another boat and was ready to look at this one. Sorry Charlie.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Add:
    Responses replied to within the day, in order of receiving. Those not getting back to me within 12 hours will be passed over.

I had a story like the tractor one above. Made an agreement as to price and time on a dump trailer. By the time I got there, it was gone and the seller said “cash talks”.
    Seems like semi-anonymous sites allow such anti social behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Seems OK to me. But then we don't have CL over here.
    Actually we do, but I haven't used it yet..

https://aberdeen.craigslist.org/

Having just glanced at 'free stuff' I think I might give it a miss

https://aberdeen.craigslist.org/search/zip
    Structures uninformed by geometry tend towards the ramshackle.

I think "if the ad' is still up. It's still for sale, is a good thing to say.

How much did you pay for that ad on Craig's List?

The ad was free and the effort was zero to you to sell except for your time. Those who looked at the ad paid nothing either. The emails, phone calls or texts were nothing.

Now that this is in perspective - remember we get what we pay for and those people who use its services.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 09-19-2020 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    Actually we do, but I haven't used it yet..

I was going to post a contradiction to PM's assertion, but I found Craigslist from Leeds to have pretty much no content except for free sex and paid sex.

Wow.

I live in Austin, TX, the first expansion city for Craig's little experiment.

There are 50 listings per page, and every category from Kid's Toys to Heavy Equipment has at least fifty new listings every day.

I can not imagine life without a vibrant Craigslist
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by isla;[URL="tel:6278403"
    6278403[/URL]]Actually we do, but I haven't used it yet..

Aberdeen’s got some interesting motors for sale. A 1928 Norton single and this:
    83A9B913-C990-4A5C-9861-A33451B96173.jpg
    The Algorithm Is Watching

I've not sold anything on CL though I have bought a few tools and boat (Chrysler Mutineer) over the years. The quality of the actual writing trends towards abysmal, often worse (dare I say it) than a certain rather prominent tweeter. Why is that?

Have any of you buyers/sellers of things ever tried BAT?
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    I was going to post a contradiction to PM's assertion, but I found Craigslist from Leeds to have pretty much no content except for free sex and paid sex.

Wow.

I live in Austin, TX, the first expansion city for Craig's little experiment.

There are 50 listings per page, and every category from Kid's Toys to Heavy Equipment has at least fifty new listings every day.

I can not imagine life without a vibrant Craigslist
    Craigslist is relatively new in the UK, and there has been some kerfuffle with eBay buying it, then selling it back again. The best UK equivalent is Gumtree..
    https://www.gumtree.com/
    Structures uninformed by geometry tend towards the ramshackle.

C/L is simply the modern classified ad. No prizes for good writing, though it does show up just what a poor education some folks have.

I sold the old generator yesterday & it showed up another issue with C/L - or any selling medium: you'll sometimes have to deal with idiots. This one started off with taking the wrong driveway - though the correct one was marked, then turned out he had little clue as to how to back a trailer & I had to scream at him 3 times to stop before he hit my car. It was all capped off by his "tying down". It was the generator with a a spare generator head. He tied down the generator head as it wanted to roll a bit, but he put nothing on the ~800 lb. generator. He started to get into his car & I said "Hey - you forgot to strap down the generator!". "No worries - it's too heavy to go anywhere". I said that it really needed to be tied down but he ignored me.

The drive out is fairly steep downhill for a few hundred feet until it joins the drive my brother & I share, which is pretty level. I heard him go down it & then silence. Figuring something hid the sound of his pulling out to the road I went back to work. 3 minutes later he appeared and said "Could you bring the tractor down to pull the generator back to the center of the trailer? It slid forward a bit". A bit turned out to be about 4 ft.... He did say he'd strap it down this time.

In the past year I have probably sold 300 items on Craigslist.

I have found that there is no sense of etiquette among buyers. Only a sense of entitlement and butthurt.

I've developed a pretty hard-nosed attitude about selling things.

First, I do not negotiate price before they get here. if they are actually standing in front of me with cash their hand then I will talk price negotiation.

Second, I don't wait for anyone unless they call or text me that they are actually on the way. Then I will wait for exactly as long as their travel time.

The first person with cash in their hand gets the item. I won't hold it for anyone, I won't accept partial deposits, and I certainly won't finance it.

I also don't put up with any disrespect, belittlement, or negativity from buyers-- display any of that towards me, or the item that I'm selling, and I will tell you it is no longer for sale to YOU.

I don't respond to requests saying "have you still got it?" Unless it is an actual phone call. And if the pictures that I posted aren't satisfactory to you, well then that's just too bad--- if they're too lazy to actually come look at something for themselves, then they weren't really interested anyway, and they are just wasting my time.

Having implemented those protocols, my experience on Craigslist is much more satisfactory to me.
    Even a fish wouldn’t get in trouble if it kept it's mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    & I had to scream at him 3 times to stop before he hit my car.
    oh come now garrett, it's not like we all haven't at one time or another hit a parked car in someone else's driveway. . .

I've sold a bit on Craigslist in the past. I've forgotten all the procedures. Now, I've got a couple of items I want to list so yesterday I began to compose an ad. I got to the part about how to contact me and was surprised to see that even though my email address won't be visible anyone whom I email back will see my full name. I'm not sure I want this to happen but can't seem to find any setting in my computer (a Mac) where I can remove my name from the emails I send. Am I worrying for nothing? What do you experienced guys do?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    I've sold a bit on Craigslist in the past. I've forgotten all the procedures. Now, I've got a couple of items I want to list so yesterday I began to compose an ad. I got to the part about how to contact me and was surprised to see that even though my email address won't be visible anyone whom I email back will see my full name. I'm not sure I want this to happen but can't seem to find any setting in my computer (a Mac) where I can remove my name from the emails I send. Am I worrying for nothing? What do you experienced guys do?

Jeff
    When you set up an account on your email software, you have the option of filling in any name you want to be associated with that email address.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    When you set up an account on your email software, you have the option of filling in any name you want to be associated with that email address.
    this!

for instance, the email address i use for posting to craigslist uses the nom de plume 'john t. . .'

oh wait!!!

I was wondering why all those INCA jointers kept showing up!
    Rattling the teacups.

Originally Posted by Garret

& I had to scream at him 3 times to stop before he hit my car

Was it the classic exchange or words?:" Go ahead. Back up."
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I was selling a canoe cheap and I’m pretty sure someone from Nigeria responded. “I would like to buy your item” . I responded “What item is that?” After a few more nonsensical responses I said the item is yours if you arrive on a gold bicycle wearing a blue speedo with cash. And I was sober.

@Paul - this was daylight with someone guiding him - but you do raise a valid point
    @Kevin = classic "c'mon back" with hand signals, then yelling. He obviously had no clue that a clenched fist means stop & I had to wave my arms & yell
    @Jeff - I don't worry about my name/email showing - though there are definitely responses to ads that I do not answer!

I've sold a LOT of this-n-that over the past six months. I still have a snowblower, a generator, and several pieces of furniture to go.
    1. Craigslist is hell.
    2. Facebook Marketplace is more convenient but not necessarily better.
    3. Delivery closes deals.

After a lot of flaked-appointments, I now insist on confirmation text/call 30-60 minutes beforehand.
    3 back-and-forth emails/texts is my limit.
    NO, jackass, deposits are not refundable, what would be the point of that?

[aside] When I got my first ATM card 30 years ago, the cash withdrawal limit was $500/day. You could buy a running-poorly car for $500 at that time. Why is the limit still $500 today??? [/aside]
    whoa, camel. WHOA CAMEL!

[aside] When I got my first ATM card 30 years ago, the cash withdrawal limit was $500/day. You could buy a running-poorly car for $500 at that time. Why is the limit still $500 today??? [/aside]
    Probably just a function of keeping the machines filled with cash.

Though, I can get $800 out of my TD bank ATM

K

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    I've sold a LOT of this-n-that over the past six months. I still have a snowblower, a generator, and several pieces of furniture to go.
    1. Craigslist is hell.
    2. Facebook Marketplace is more convenient but not necessarily better.
    3. Delivery closes deals.

After a lot of flaked-appointments, I now insist on confirmation text/call 30-60 minutes beforehand.
    3 back-and-forth emails/texts is my limit.
    NO, jackass, deposits are not refundable, what would be the point of that?

Craigslist is not hell, it's more like a sketchy neighborhood.

Ever live in a sketchy neighborhood?

I have. I lived in Little Five Points in Atlanta back when, and at one point I left the front doors to my shop wide open while I went out of town. When I returned, nothing had been touched.

It's a matter of situational awareness.

Facebook marketplace seems OK, and I have traded there a little.

The search function sucks out loud.

The fact that you can't expand your search beyond a hundred miles (or the fact that I can't figure out how to) sucks out loud.

The one thing FBMP has that Clist doesn't is that you have to be a member of FB to use it, therefore there's a profile posted for everybody buying or selling.

Makes the scammers easier to spot, and the bots have a harder time, as well.
    Rattling the teacups.

99% of the scammers are easy to spot.

"I'll come look at the car on Monday & will have a cashiers check for an amount over the value of the car. You can cash it & give me the balance"

"How about I cash the check & keep the whole thing? You can take the car after the check clears."

End of emails from that guy