Thread: New Climate Maps Show a Transformed United States

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Climate Maps Show a Transformed United States

https://projects.propublica.org/clim...zIR8flIl0pO38Q

ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receiveour biggest stories as soon as they’re published.
    According to new data from the Rhodium Group analyzed by ProPublica and The New York Times Magazine, warming temperatures and changing rainfall will drive agriculture and temperate climates northward, while sea level rise will consume coastlines and dangerous levels of humidity will swamp the Mississippi River valley.

Taken with other recent research showing that the most habitable climate in North America will shift northward and the incidence of large fires will increase across the country, this suggests that the climate crisis will profoundly interrupt the way we live and farm in the United States. See how the North American places where humans have lived for thousands of years will shift and what changes are in store for your county.

Default Re: New Climate Maps Show a Transformed United States

yet is seen as a hoax, even as we have been seeing the beginnings of this for the past 20 years.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

I have said since the 1980s, when climate change started smacking us big time, that I could enjoy the new beach in the Portland Hills as the waves wash by in the shallow Tualatin and Willamette seas.

Fake news! Everyone knows that global warming leads to drought and that means the US land mass gets bigger because the water level gets lower!

The only issue I see in those maps for the Maine coast is that there will be more tourists and the season will be longer. Everything else is pretty much unchanged although we may lose the best road to my house since it is already in the surf during storms.

I moved away from the barrier islands, mostly because I cannot afford to buy a house there. When I left in the mid-90s, we went through a succession of ever higher "flood tides" that occurred every spring and summer. Growing up, if they reached the end of my street, it was something notable. The year I left, my father's car was inundated in the driveway. While I can still hear the surf on a quiet night and still smell the salt, I am a good 35 feet above mean high tide, even if the end of my street ends at the marshes not a 10th of a mile away.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

In the face of such a scenario for many, even most denial and even hostility are the likely reactions. It is out of man's control. Some will turn to whatever god they follow with increasing fervour but the record is not good. I expect a few doomsday cults to emerge.
    I don't have a choice of course being in my later 70's but if I did I wonder if I'd take the option of staying arond to watch, or just going early.

Given the errors and idiocies of the Bush and Trump regimes, we've blown it.

We are so far past the tipping point that it's all sliding downhill fast.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

There is hope yet.

No less than 3 major glaciers, one in Greenland and two in Antarctica, have started to collapse. If a big chunk of ice raises the sea level all at once, by say 50 cm, then the frogs might notice they have been slowly boiling and do something about it.