Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shy Trumpies in the Bilge

Default Re: Shy Trumpies in the Bilge

You can find all sorts of creatures hiding under rocks from the light of day.

We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    It most certainly is. Your right to do so is grounded in the Constitution. To exercise that right is to make a political choice. To seek to deny persons of that right is a political choice. Indeed, Trump just gave a political speech tonight arguing that Democrats want to abolish the 2nd and take your guns. Virtually everything having to do with firearms in the US is political.
    Again, it's not a political choice. It's enshrined in the constitution. Freedom of speech is in the constitution too. No, as many gun owners are fond of saying, a weapon is only a tool, not unlike a screwdriver Is choosing a Phillips head over a flathead a Political Choice?
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    I have never met a shy Trumpy.
    Gonna hear from a lot of them in November.

^ Hey guys come quick, I think I got one! I got him cornered, but I don't think he's shy at all
    Structures uninformed by geometry tend towards the ramshackle.

I say let's have a poll.

Is choosing a Phillips head over a flathead a Political Choice?
    No, it's a test of your common sense. The correct answer is Torx.

/Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post

I suspect Bluey just enjoys winding people(dems) up. He is clearly too inteligent to support Trump.

Artificial Intelligence?

That can support anything

See George's anonymous poll. If there is anyone here who supports Trump but doesn't want to admit it in public, you can answer honestly.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    I suspect Bluey just enjoys winding people(dems) up. He is clearly too inteligent to support Trump. Humm, if he actually does?? Then no hope, as anybody with the slightest nous, would reject the idiot.
    I have known people intelligent enough to get into an Oxbridge university, but who were as thick as a brick in other areas of their thinking.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I'm on a state wide fishing forum and no political threads allowed. Slowly alot of the guys went strictly to facebook. Let me tell you I thought I knew these guys. Well I couldn't believe how many supported tRump, and posting false Hillary memes. I kept posting actual news sites thinking something will sink in. Never lost a friend till during the impeachment when I started posting Gym Jordan news articles, a good friend not facebook friend unfriended me. Blueey now on my timeline no tRump chit at all.You and wood is all I see here.

I live in Dallas - have 4 Biden signs in my yard - Beto almost pulled it off - my 70 year old wife - long time Texan has never voted in her life - she will now - Biden.

It was a theory bruited in the wake of the 2016 surprise tRump win. Nothing suggests it was correct. Then or now. In fact, it might be the opposite this time --

https://www.yahoo.com/news/whose-vot...090014890.html
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

So, if Sky Blue is the lone "yes" in George.'s poll as of this morning, then there exactly zero shy supporters of the president here in the Bilge. Maybe he should revisit his hypothesis, not that evidence and data matter make much difference one way or another to a Republican and his tropes.
    Steve Martinsen

Again, getting through university is no mark of general intelligence. Exhibit A: George W. Bush.

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    Again, getting through university is no mark of general intelligence. Exhibit A: George W. Bush.
    George., you know better than to use anecdotal evidence. Unless one comes from a rich family (like Mr Bush), getting through university most definitely correlates with intelligence - not perfectly, but well enough. The poorer one starts, the closer it correlates, I'd bet. The less money your family has, the closer to a real meritocratic system.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    George., you know better than to use anecdotal evidence. Unless one comes from a rich family (like Mr Bush), getting through university most definitely correlates with intelligence - not perfectly, but well enough. .
    Yes, but I bet most of the university-educated people who support Trump are from rich families.

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    Yes, but I bet most of the university-educated people who support Trump are from rich families.
    nah, anecdotally, there's a lot of university educated (bsba recipients) that are simply white supremacists, nothing rich or noteworthy about their family backgrounds
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    nah, anecdotally, there's a lot of university educated (bsba recipients) that are simply white supremacists, nothing rich or noteworthy about their family backgrounds
    Your expertise on such matters is always appreciated, Paul.

dont mention it, it was nothing really

Sky Blue is the lone "yes"
    It wasn't my vote. I suspect a lib noticed the developing frustration in the posts that no one was confessing their support. It was pretty amusing for the shy Trumpies.
    Someone decided to "fix" things, apparently.

No, all the shy Trumpies remain such.

What the hell are you trying to say?
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Is a shy trumpie the political equivalent of what used to be called a closet queen?

We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

I'm pretty sure he is saying that "shy trumpies" are white/racists and have to be quiet when they are likely to be called out.

It is just hard to communicate here sometimes. Usually the consensus in the bilge is driven by whatever the corporate slave media is pushing at the moment on every channel and even the late night entertainment shows.

Part of that mass media influencing strategy is to encourage its audience to disparage the dissenters. Back in my early days as a bad student in mediocre state colleges, while the good students in my class on Rehtoric were learning "The medium is the message" a phrase coined by the Canadian communication thinker Marshall McLuhan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_medium_is_the_message and presumably today in the post Smith-Mundt age implementing McLuhan’s principals for both government and corporate paymasters; I was left behind in the earlier chapters with an idea attributed to George Lincoln Rockwell, the founder of the American Nazi Party. Roughly that all press is good press. https://alexhaley.com/2019/09/10/ale...coln-rockwell/

I wondered at how limousine liberals and their institutions in the media could have so readily given the election to Trump over Hillary. In the first three years of the Trump presidency, I was certain that this had been intentional. The media consistently played to Trump’s strong suit. I was not alone in this observation. Trump and the Dark Art of Bad Publicity, In one lurid, scandalous month in 1990 he learned a lesson that helped forge his whole candidacy. https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...t-of-pr-214083

In the same way I wonder today at the Left vilifying Trump supporters. My eyes glazed over with Bill Clinton’s campaign strategist’s theory of “triangulation” , but in the field, Bill Clinton would usurp any winning position my Republicans could take. However, an unlikely guy, less of a Humanist, or a thinker, or even an admirer of women than Dick Morris ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangulation_(politics)), Karl Rove displaced that school of thought with the principal that by energizing a candidate’s base, an electoral majority could be achieved. https://www.politico.com/story/2007/...-endure-005375 This is a hard thing to do for a candidate running for re-election. However, every Democrat party dominated institution, all big tech social media firms, every transnational corporation and their television networks, even the Pope, and certainly Nancy Pelosi are working 24/7 in a non stop drive to reinstall Donald Trump for a second term. Its like an elementary school recess where somehow the vast majority has been made to think that they are backed into the corner and must take action…
    Last edited by Landrith; 09-19-2020 at 08:55 PM.
    "Deconstruction is not a method, and cannot be transformed into one" Jacques Derrida (1930–2004)

uhhhhh. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I'm pretty sure he is saying that "shy trumpies" are white/racists and have to be quiet when they are likely to be called out.
    A 'shy trumpista' is one who doesn't tell the truth (mostly out of embarrassment, the speculation goes) about the fact that they intend to vote for tRump.

It's a theoretical construct used after the 2016 election to explain why the polling was off.

Subsequent analysis, afik, has shown no validity to the notion.
    Last edited by David G; 09-19-2020 at 08:47 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

If folks would prefer, I could call "shy" Trumpers "liars" instead. Or cowards.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

[QUOTE=Sky Blue;6278576]It wasn't my vote. I suspect a lib noticed the developing frustration in the posts that no one was confessing their support. It was pretty amusing for the shy Trumpies.
    Someone decided to "fix" things, apparently.

No, all the shy Trumpies remain such.[/QUOTE

Sky Trumpies...I like it...has a nice ring to it...

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    If folks would prefer, I could call "shy" Trumpers "liars" instead. Or cowards.
    Is that the vilification I was describing? It used to be an American virtue-not stating who you were voting for. Back when we were respectful and friendly. Like Canadians...
    "Deconstruction is not a method, and cannot be transformed into one" Jacques Derrida (1930–2004)

Paul I get it tRump supporters are not very educated and have a very short attention span. Listening to a local regressive call in radio station today, a woman calls and she hopes tRump gets to nominate a judge, and she hopes the nominee will not attack poor little donald like everyone else has. DSE

Quote Originally Posted by Landrith View Post
    Is that the vilification I was describing? It used to be an American virtue-not stating who you were voting for. Back when we were respectful and friendly. Like Canadians...
    Give me some tRump virtues.

Quote Originally Posted by icyb View Post
    Give me some tRump virtues.
    Trump is the most powerful president we have had in a long time. Like your example of the lady discussing Trump installing yet another Supreme Court conservative next week in what is just his first term, he has the world convinced he is the underdog. This is the same world that he just replaced the four foundational treaties for global commerce in...."Virtue" as Niccoli certainly defined it for his Prince.

To explain it to TomF. The American election is a giant hockey game for all the marbles on the planet, and somehow Trump has transformed his supporters into thinking they are all French Canadians....

Oh ffs

Quote Originally Posted by Landrith View Post
    Hmmph The "shy Trumper" notion was a notion of someone embarrassed of a choice, or afraid of being confronted with uncomfortable truths. Not someone who simply wished to keep a genteel and honorable secrecy about their ballot.

I'm respectful of responsible and respectful civic duty, whether expressed openly or behind a conventional but honorable screen. I have zero respect for a choice taken furtively, or waved away dishonestly, or otherwise taken in ways which shield the citizen from the responsibility they have to vote (whichever candidate) convinced that their preferred outcome would be best for the country, not merely for them. And sometimes, to their personal detriment even.

That is the obligation placed on us as citizens of constitutional democracies, though whether we make good on our obligation is known only entirely to ourselves .

Canadians can be very polite right until we refuse to take any sh#t whatsoever.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

You might call him most powerful Kim Ung called him your Excellency, I won't say what I call him. I read the politico article and came away with the donald has caused chaos and turmoil for a long time, because even bad publicity is better then no publicity. Then the tactic was to keep in the headlines and brainwash the right.
    Last edited by icyb; 09-19-2020 at 09:36 PM.