Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shy Trumpies in the Bilge

Default Re: Shy Trumpies in the Bilge

Huh. Rarities abound. A gun-happy Dem.

But in reflection, there does seem to be a good number of those here, too.

Like I said: Curious.

You might be surprised how many democrats and even liberals own guns. Owning a weapon is not a political choice, how you decide to use and display it is.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

don't be shy, little trumpie.

you can do it!

And yes, for your knowledge Blue. I do own a wooden boat. It is only 14 feet long, but it is 56 years old.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

owning a weapon is not a political choice
    It most certainly is. Your right to do so is grounded in the Constitution. To exercise that right is to make a political choice. To seek to deny persons of that right is a political choice. Indeed, Trump just gave a political speech tonight arguing that Democrats want to abolish the 2nd and take your guns. Virtually everything having to do with firearms in the US is political.

Lots of smoke and mirrors about today…….

The idea that political leanings by participants or lurkers are distributed on forums such as these in equal proportion to a voting record seems very debatable and likely unprovable. A poll might reveal something useful in that regard but those can be 'uneven' also depending on how they are structured.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

very debatable and likely unprovable
    Of course. It's a supposition. A shy vote is not known. It's shy. But we're basically talking about a single voice here in open support for Trump. Just one right now. What is the likelihood, in your mind, that in fact there is just one?

I say it's statistically likely that there's more, perhaps many more, given the known demographics of regular Members here and that of Trump supporters generally.

I don't think there are many such "shy" voters.

How about they're either cowardly or deeply ashamed of acting out their worst impulses?
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

It's a supposition
    or, mayyybe--hear me out here--it's a suppository

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    or, mayyybe--hear me out here--it's a suppository
    Preparation T? A soothing balm for sore A-holes?
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Is SB suggesting that there are Trump supporters on the forum who are deceitful, lack the courage of their convictions, or are so embarrassed by the whole Trump debacle that they dare not admit their support? Essentially saying that 'Shy' is a euphemism for those traits.That would be insulting and unkind to his fellow travellers.
    Structures uninformed by geometry tend towards the ramshackle.

SB has a point. I don't think college education explains it. I went to college. I met plenty of dumb people there. They may have put in the work to get their degree, but had no interest in knowledge and wisdom in general.

Also, "college educated" includes lots of lawyers, finance types, and others who got a professional degree in order to make money, but are utterly ignorant about science, history, etc.

What I see is a Bilge which, for whatever reason, evolved into a place where claims are followed by requests for evidence, where any logical fallacies are swiftly exposed, and where there is a deep collective knowledge of history and science, ready to mercilessly debunk any BS.

Not exactly an environment where your typical Trumpie would thrive. They prefer forums like Cloudy Nights, where "politics", including science and history, are banned to create a safe space for the minions.

You all know I'm not biblical, and my sins are my standby. But there's an awful lot of pride, yeah, that one, going on in politics. People would rather beggar themselves, have their sons killed in wars over money, their daughters debased, their governments bought and sold by capital, their justice system corrupted by gun-for-hire lawyers and politically biased judges than admit they might have been wrong, made a mistake.

And boy have both sides made mistakes! And chosing two old white men is one of the doozies. 350,000,000 and thats what you come up with? Time to take a good hard look.

Shy trumpkins? You so funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    It most certainly is. Your right to do so is grounded in the Constitution. To exercise that right is to make a political choice. To seek to deny persons of that right is a political choice. Indeed, Trump just gave a political speech tonight arguing that Democrats want to abolish the 2nd and take your guns. Virtually everything having to do with firearms in the US is political.
    Did you enjoy that pitcher of Koolaid?

What you wrote is, while a fairly good parroting of the current NRA/Trump stance, wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to start.

You should be happy though - with a Dem winning in November gun sales will get another boost, as they did when Obama was elected.

I'm a gun owning voter who will never vote for Trump or any of his supporters.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Well if they are here they've stayed in the woodwork, or probably above decks.

it is however difficult to believe, when reading these pages down here in this place, that 40% of the American electorate has consistently supported Trump.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Say, Bluey, if there were any "shy Trumpies" here, don't you think they might have contacted you by PM by now?

Well sh!t.

I’ve been outed.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Say, Bluey, if there were any "shy Trumpies" here, don't you think they might have contacted you by PM by now?
    so blueie was just trying to get a date?

They have much to be shy about.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by sky blue View Post
    with virtually all of the regularly-contributing members that are openly supportive of trump either banned or gone silent, it seems that i'm the only one left for now.
    ftfy

Also "Shy Trump Supporter" Is that someone with only 10 Trump Flags ?
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Many of the persons on this forum are not from the US. Make America Great Again holds no attraction for us, and neither does trashing the WHO, international courts, NATO, EU, our native countries etc. We're not likely to be Trumpist.

Together with my wife I have three wooden boats, the larges 7 m, and two wooden kayaks. Wooden boats are the reason I got stuck on this forum, but I seldom think I have much to contribute in the above deck discussions.

/Erik

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Lots of smoke and mirrors about today…….
    Is that what we're calling organic fertilizer these days?

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    They prefer forums like Cloudy Nights, where "politics", including science and history, are banned to create a safe space for the minions.
    The Acoustic Guitar forum is the same. I've heard it's probably because that forum started as a Taylor guitar forum, and Taylors are favoured by church musicians in the USA, who tend to run "conservative".

It is, as Paul would say, DSE.

What are you doing about it?

OK Bluie, I'm First Nation, retired blue collar, and between boats. My next will be my fourth, I have sold my firearms years ago, and feel that tRump threatens the well being of our fragile planet.

Shy enough for you?

Dumah
    Duct tape can't fix stupid but it will muffle the sound

And none of them seem shy about spreading bs.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Not really sure what the reasoning was behind starting such a strange thread as this...."shy and trumpers" do not really go hand in hand, right?

In my limited time and interactions on the WBF's - I have generally found "kindred boat spirits", intelligent, compassionate and nice people for the most part....well read, and articulate as well - typical of the "regular populace" in the US now? Hell no..... if you (SB) are looking at the WBF as some semblance of a slice of America as an analytical tool, to find kindred "Trumpies" as you put it.....good luck with that.

BTW, I also own a number of wooden boats (5 or 6 now), and I also own a Mossberg 500 shotgun...
    Is any of this helpful to you? I am in my early 60's, college educated and white too....btw

Reasoning? It's GASLIGHTING. Which lies outside the realm of reason.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

White, male, disturbingly CIS, 2 wooden boats (though smaller than many), and fatter and older than I was once.

But shy? Not hardly. A Trumpist? Not ever. Though I have some compassion and understanding of the reasons that some folks go down the drain hole. And I figure, paradoxically, that their best hope this time is actually voting Biden.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    And none of them seem shy about spreading bs.

People who live in glass houses, should not throw stones.

I would expect there are a few Republicans on here, but likely they do not support Trump, as they can easily see what he is doing to the country and their party.
    My other half was a registered Republican, but supported Obama and detests Trump.

I suspect Bluey just enjoys winding people(dems) up. He is clearly too inteligent to support Trump. Humm, if he actually does?? Then no hope, as anybody with the slightest nous, would reject the idiot.

We have some old friends of Mrs A2 in Annapolis. Staunch Repubs and voted for Trump. I suspect they are less keen now and I am thinking about (carefully) inquireing about their views now.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    I have never met a shy Trumpy.
    You know the family which built the fine wooden motor yachts?
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

"They're just quiet about it, understandably." Good!, maybe offsetting the daily blather from the King of lies, your president.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    Of course there's no direct evidence. It's circumstantial. It's a supposition grounded in who we are demographically, and what the data reveal about who his supporters have been shown to be.

Simply stated, we have a gathering here that is almost exclusively older white men. We know that Trump takes between 60-70% of that demographic, iirc. Inasmuch as that is so, it seems highly likely that he has more than one or two supporters here. They're just quiet about it, understandably.
    Then Mr/Ms SB may I suggest that you start a poll thread that people's identity is anonymous (if that can be done, as I'm not totally hepped to the forum's capabilities) and ask a simple question: Do you support Trump? Yes or No?

Easy peasy to get your answer.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett