Thread: The robot ships are coming

Default The robot ships are coming

https://www.ft.com/content/06c9a10a-...f-fc64cd295e50

I heard this story on NPR yesterday too. The Mayflower Autonomous Ship is about to set off, raises some interesting questions about COLREGS and keeping watch, eh? Not an open ocean voyager myself I only know what I've read about sailors not being noticed by manned ships as they pass by too closely. Trying to picture an automated cargo ship cruising into Puget Sound. Automated motor vehicles were bad enough, at least they don't measure their stopping distance in kilometers, much less turning radius.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Default Re: The robot ships are coming

The thought is more than a little scary. I can think of all kinds of issues this'll open up regarding Colregs, Liability, maintenance, etc. I'd suspect they'd require a pilot before entering any Traffic Controlled Zone?

I have read just a couple of articles about the idea of autonomous ships and yes, Colregs would seem to be the holdup on the idea.

You have probably seen this before, sailing on autopilot, no watch on the bridge, skipper of the fishing vessel is convicted.

I am so sick of this!

Any damn fool can make a ship navigate, steer and park itself.

Now make one that will repair itself on passage, handle its own lines, paint itself, etc.

None of the idiot IT people have studied the industry to see what is needed.

A fine example of idiot IT people trying to play with ships - the so-called “drone ships” used by SpaceX are effing barges!

Any naval architect would make them semi subs so they have decent weather capacity and steadiness.

https://splash247.com/the-ship-of-th...-2020-edition/
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 09-17-2020 at 07:55 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

So Andrew, How do you really feel about the subject?
    I imagine this may be an endless topic of discussion in some circles.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchpp View Post
    You have probably seen this before, sailing on autopilot, no watch on the bridge, skipper of the fishing vessel is convicted.
    Not to excuse the fishing vessel but it doesn't appear the sailing vessel made any attempt to change course. Isn't take steps to avoid a collision right up there with watch-keeping in the COLREGS?
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Well, autonomous cargo ships are one thing - At least they stay in the shipping lanes (right??).

Then there are the autonomous nuclear armed submersible drones...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status...purpose_System

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    I am so sick of this!

Any damn fool can make a ship navigate, steer and park itself.

Now make one that will repair itself on passage, handle its own lines, paint itself, etc.

None of the idiot IT people have studied the industry to see what is needed.

A fine example of idiot IT people trying to play with ships - the so-called “drone ships” used by SpaceX are effing barges!

Any naval architect would make them semi subs so they have decent weather capacity and steadiness.

https://splash247.com/the-ship-of-th...-2020-edition/
    Seriously Andrew, I very much doubt the "IT people" had a single bloody thing to do with the design of the drone ships, which almost certainly WERE designed by NA's to perform a very specific task (recovery of spacecraft). They only need to do that in only favourable conditions - because you simply don't launch your BFR if the weather is $hitty.
    Function over form, they do what they need to do, in conditions that are appropriate to the objective.

Pete
    Like a miracle, all the trolls disappeared

Hmm, I asked the Automated Ships queston about the proposed new container barge/ships on the Mississippi.

Yah, who or what hit the "Nina". A fine yacht and all of her crew were lost several years ago.
    Jay

I was never quite satisfied about the level, and speed of the reaction after Nina was lost Jay. But stuff up's are always more likely than conspiracies.

Huh. I just learned that SpaceX has several "autonomous spaceport drone ships"

Not ships really, just autonomous barges towed into position really.

An autonomous spaceport drone ship (ASDS) is an ocean-going vessel derived from a deck barge, outfitted with station-keeping engines and a large landing platform and is controlled by an autonomous robot.

The ASDS are autonomous vessels capable of precision positioning, originally stated to be within 3 meters (9.8 ft) even under storm conditions,[8] using GPS position information[36] and four diesel-powered azimuth thrusters.[37] In addition to the autonomous operating mode, the ships may also be telerobotically controlled.[3]
    The azimuth thrusters are hydraulic propulsion outdrive units with modular diesel-hydraulic-drive power units manufactured by Thrustmaster, a marine equipment manufacturer in Texas.[5] The returning rocket must not only land within the confines of the deck surface but must also deal with ocean swells and GPS errors.[5][38]
    SpaceX equips the ships with a variety of sensor and measurement technology to gather data on the booster returns and landing attempts, including commercial off the shelf GoPro cameras.[39]
    At the center of the ASDS landing pads is a circle that encloses the SpaceX stylized "X" in an X-marks-the-spot landing point.[40]

What really blows my mind is that the boosters soft land vertically!

http://forum.woodenboat.com/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=270204