Thread: 8 bells - Luc Mcsweeney Mahue

Default 8 bells - Luc Mcsweeney Mahue

8 BELLS - LUC MCSWEENEY MAHUE
    https://www.sfmastermariners.org/log...csweeney-mahue

It is with great sadness that we share the news of the passing of Luc McSweeney Mahue, best know to MMBA members as the skipper of Tiger. In May of 2019 Luc was featured in a Latitude 38 interview which you can find here.

At this time, we do not have many details about the accident which occurred on his recently acquired schooner in Maine. As information becomes available we will update this post. In the meantime, please keep the Maheu family in your thoughts and prayers.

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 12.40.58 PM.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Captain Luc Maheu at the helm)

Luc Maheu's family and friends grieve his loss and celebrate his beautiful life and indomitable spirit. Luc was an incredibly strong and brave man, a man who was also tremendously gentle, loving, and kind. Luc will always be with us, in our hearts and our memories of the countless magical adventures we have all shared with him.

He was, and is, a wonderful son, brother, husband, and friend, and one of the best sailors any of us have ever known. He was our trusted captain, we always knew that Luc had our backs no matter what. It's our turn to send him off in style - on the mythic schooner to the great beyond.

(Tiger sailing past the Golden Gate Bridge)

(Luc and his fiancee Lauren)

Luc's generosity of spirit expanded into many different communities. His sailing communities on both coasts, the many non-sailors he introduced to the water through party sails aboard Tiger, his expansive network of friends, and many more.

We're raising money to support the costs of bringing him back home from Maine to California, and for the memorial and funeral costs. Please chip in any amount to support Luc's nearest and dearest.

We are also establishing a nest egg to support Luc's young family. Our fundraising goal reflects this intention. Any $ raised above and beyond the hard costs of Luc's funeral will be bundled up for mama and baby. It takes a village. And in our case, a strong crew to meet the swelling gale.

If you are moved to send a written note, condolences can be mailed to:
    Lauren Pressler at 936 Regal Road, Berkeley, CA 94708

(Luc and his father Paul aboard Tiger)

Luc's friend Ava will manage this fundraiser. If you have any questions about this campaign or other ways you can support Luc's family during this very difficult time, you may contact her through this GoFundMe page.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/luc-maheu...morial-support

It was a real honor to call him my friend. I know many feel the same.

- Ted Hoppe

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 10-31-2020 at 03:57 PM.

Default Re: 8 bells - Luc Mcsweeney Mahue

Aw, crap. I remember meeting him when you introduced me around up there day before the race one year. I remember that boat very well.

I send peace.

What terrible news, I vividly remember the first time I saw Tiger, like an apparition right out of the pages of a Howard Chapelle book, sailing up the Richmond Reach.

Out the Gate podcast had a very entertaining interview with Luc a couple of years ago, available here.

What a tragedy. Any news on what the accident aboard his schooner was?
    Much too young...
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    What a tragedy. Any news on what the accident aboard his schooner was?
    Much too young...
    Some limited info here. Very sad.
    https://www.boothbayregister.com/art...at-mast/139767