Thread: So does Jimmy Perez ever finish that boat?

Default So does Jimmy Perez ever finish that boat?

Or do anything to it at all?
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Default Re: So does Jimmy Perez ever finish that boat?

I don't recall ever seeing the boat after the first season or so. I do remember Duncan telling him once he found an engine for him. Its about the only complaint I have for such a excellent TV series, Perez's boat disappears from the story line. But such good television. Perhaps the best that's been done since Foyle's War.

It doesn't get mentioned very often but we see it many times through the seasons. I can never tell whether it's changed at all ...

The series is brilliant. I just watched the end of the 5th season.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    It doesn't get mentioned very often but we see it many times through the seasons. I can never tell whether it's changed at all ...

The series is brilliant. I just watched the end of the 5th season.
    I might have to go back and watch it again, it seems that I now have an excuse. For people viewing this thread, the series is Shetland, despite the protagonist's name, he is a native of the Shetland Islands. His Spanish surname is historically explained correctly, there was a Spanish shipwreck on the islands after the defeat of the Spanish Armada. But I am really curious if there are still people on the Islands with a Spanish surname in real life.

And, since seeing the serious, visiting the Shetland Islands is certainly on my bucket list.

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    I might have to go back and watch it again, it seems that I now have an excuse. For people viewing this thread, the series is Shetland, despite the protagonist's name, he is a native of the Shetland Islands. His Spanish surname is historically explained correctly, there was a Spanish shipwreck on the islands after the defeat of the Spanish Armada. But I am really curious if there are still people on the Islands with a Spanish surname in real life.

And, since seeing the serious, visiting the Shetland Islands is certainly on my bucket list.
    You will find a Perez and a Pereira in this list. I'm sure you'll find other Spanish names if you search. Mind you, the Perez was born in Guam in 1913 so probably doesn't count
    https://www.bayanne.info/Shetland/su...ree=ID1#char17
    Structures uninformed by geometry tend towards the ramshackle.

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    You will find a Perez and a Pereira in this list. I'm sure you'll find other Spanish names if you search. Mind you, the Perez was born in Guam in 1913 so probably doesn't count
    https://www.bayanne.info/Shetland/su...ree=ID1#char17
    Thanks for that bit. I suppose I could have done that research.

Thanks for that bit. I suppose I could have done that research.
    Browsing through the list I've found, so far, that all the Spanish names are those of more recent immigrants, not descendents of the Armada crews. But this is an interesting read..
    https://www.ssns.org.uk/wp-content/u...5_pp_42_57.pdf

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...70#post6274070
    Rattling the teacups.

I don't care whether Jimmy's ancestors came from Bolivia or Iceland - I just want to know whether anything ever happens with that boat!
    Rick

Dammit. I live in “the greatest nation in history” yet I can only find 2 seasons of Shetland.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Dammit. I live in “the greatest nation in history” yet I can only find 2 seasons of Shetland.
    I think it takes a $5/month subscription on Amazon video to BritBox. I will double check. Thats worth it, the way Amazon does third party subscriptions, you can drop them anytime. If you do that, you can access all the seasons.

Strange as it is my wife has noticed the boat. She noticed it had moved.

I like the series.
    Life is complex.

I think it takes a $5/month subscription on Amazon video to BritBox. I will double check. Thats worth it, the way Amazon does third party subscriptions, you can drop them anytime. If you do that, you can access all the seasons.
    Thanks! Just signed up. Lots of good stuff to catch up on.

I liked the touching scene where Jimmy was sitting in the boat with his daughter. I was saying just yesterday that I wish there were more seasons of 'Shetland'.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Jimmy lives in a stone house that extends right to the water. Whenever there's a shot of the outside of the house, you see the boat in his yard, I think. Now I'm wondering if there are any shots of the house with the boat absent. The end of Season 5 finishes with a shot of the house and boat. I hope too that there are more seasons to come and that the director realises that there are many of us wanting to see more of the boat and its story.
    Rick

A couple of images you might find interesting. Jimmy's boat, and the author, Ann Cleeves.

Thank you Isla, that's great! I do like the boat but I can see that Jimmy has quite a bit to do!

Ann Cleeves writes a wonderful story - also great to put a face to the name! Thanks!
    Rick

That is a lovely boat but not the one shown in the TV series.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

I just finished watching Season 5 and it looks like the same boat to me. At least very similar.

I just checked the end of the last episode of Season 5. Boat looks exactly the same as the one in Isla's photo.
    Last edited by RFNK; 09-15-2020 at 10:52 AM.
    Rick

Pretty sure I started watching this years ago, when it was "free" on AP, now they want to charge extra? Pfft
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Only 3 seasons on Netflix here, we binged em back in the first lockdown.
    Good to know there's more.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    That is a lovely boat but not the one shown in the TV series.
    Yes it's the same boat. This image is directly from the publicity for series 4. Perhaps you were thinking of the boat afloat in the background?

Yes it's the same boat. This image is directly from the publicity for series 4. Perhaps you were thinking of the boat afloat in the background?

I just rewatched the first episode. About 45:30 Perez shows shows the boat as he envisions it finished on his computer to his daughter. The boat has both a mast and cabin.
    Life is complex.

Looks like we might be talking about two different boats. I can't remember much about the earlier series, so there may well be another boat which Jimmy was working on. Peb mentioned in #2 that Duncan had sourced an engine for the boat, which doesn't seem right for the double-ender shown, unless it was an outboard. But the double-ender is outside Jimmy's house, so I'm not sure. I suppose I'll have to re-watch series 1

Production Update: Production for Seasons 6 and 7 has been confirmed, but delayed by Covid.

Looks like we might be talking about two different boats. I can't remember much about the earlier series, so there may well be another boat which Jimmy was working on. Peb mentioned in #2 that Duncan had sourced an engine for the boat, which doesn't seem right for the double-ender shown, unless it was an outboard. But the double-ender is outside Jimmy's house, so I'm not sure. I suppose I'll have to re-watch series 1
    I just watched the first episode of series 1 again. As mentioned by others, it shows Jimmy working on what looks like a small sloop, with a coach roof and the mast laid down on top. Later in the episode he is showing the design to Cassie on his laptop, and you can see it has bilge keels. So right enough, the OP is not referring to the double ender which appears in later series.

Well, we never actually see Jimmy working on the one outside his house so maybe that one's not his at all. Put there to trick us!
    Rick

Well, we never actually see Jimmy working on the one outside his house so maybe that one's not his at all. Put there to trick us!
    Could be
    Having just watched the second episode of series 1 (there are only two in the first series) I have some more details. In the closing scene Jimmy and Cassie are sitting in the cockpit of the boat chatting. The mast is up and has a gaff rig. Another shot shows that the boat has a short bowsprit, so probably a gaff cutter. The hull appears to have a hard chine, so probably plywood, but you only get brief glimpses. I'm not sure if this boat ever appears again in later series, so I suppose I'll have to watch them all again to find out

Such a burden!

I noticed that Vera is written by the same author. I like Vera a lot but it's not on the level of Shetland, in my opinion.
    Rick

Such a burden!
    A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do I suppose

I noticed that Vera is written by the same author. I like Vera a lot but it's not on the level of Shetland, in my opinion.
    Yes I also like Vera. No preference really, I think I like both shows equally.