Thread: Conoe rig

Default Conoe rig

Hi,
    Does anyone have any experience with the expedition rigs fro Solway dory? http://www.solwaydory.co.uk/products...pedition-rig-/

Also is there anyone of this side of the pond that sell a similar type of rig?

Default Re: Conoe rig

Last time I looked Solway doesn't sell their stuff over here.
    Might be hard to find someone with experience.

Their "Expedition Rig" is just a very simple and basic balanced lugsail and a leeboard. Just about anybody who builds traditional sails could easily make the sail, or DIY type folks could make it from a Sailrite sail kit. The spars could be sourced aluminum tubing, or better yet, made from a couple carefully selected boards from the Home Depot in a couple of afternoons. Leeboards and their brackets aren't particularly hard to build. If you're actually planning on doing much recreational sailing with the canoe you will eventually most likely also want to add a rudder system. The "convenience" of paddle steering has some very definite limits, which can get rather annoying pretty quickly.

Before I retired, the vast majority of the canoe sails I built were either lateens or balanced lugs, in fairly equal numbers, so they really aren't particularly rare over here. There are also a lot of variations which can be built. These are all balanced lugsails.

lugs.jpg

If you are on Facebook, there is a Skinny Hull Sailing group. Some there use it. Song of the Paddle forum in England has a sailing section. I use a BSD rig in my light canoe, and a Sailboatstogo sail on a home built rig on my Folbot. Sailyourkayak may have options too.

Try The Open Canoe Sailing Group...

http://www.ocsg.org.uk/
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Thank you for all the rabbit holes to run down. A lot of useful stuff.

I have recently swapped from a 50sq ft balanced lug to a smaller Lateen for my Macgreggor decked canoe.
    Much better in the exposed waters i sail in.