Thread: New commercial shipping concept

Default New commercial shipping concept

At the moment itís only vaporware but itís an intriguing concept. Supposed to reduce energy consumption by 90%. Iím not holding my breath. The return of commercial sail seems to pop up every few years and nothing comes of it.

https://www.oceanbirdwallenius.com/

876590AD-F134-4809-84AD-6E6430B8B48A.jpg

Default Re: New commercial shipping concept

Smart approach on your part.

Pretty pictures don't mean much these days.
    Symmetric rigid sails don't provide as much power as ones that are cambered, and telescoping for reefing is just a complicated nightmare.
    Reverse bows on a cargo ship? That's taking a fad too far.
    I don't see any lateral plane for efficient sailing upwind.
    Crossing the Atlantic in 10 days. In what wind speed? on what point of sail?
    I wonder why motor driven boats took over from sail and massively expanded the shipping tonnage?

Joke.

Without a single technical justification that it will work.
    Lots of advertising copy but nothing else.

Someone who designs boats will probably have better and more interesting comments.

This looks like something dreamed up by a 15yo on Redditt.

The only reason I’m not completely writing off the design is that it’s from a company, Wallenius Marine, that’s been around for 30 years and built 70 ships. Most of these vaporware concepts are from startups or grad students.

It would be like taking a giant leap forward by trying to eliminate 18 wheelers for amish horse drawn buggies. It checks the environmental box and has a certain romantic appeal, but doesn't lend itself to the realities of today's marketplace.

Sailing commerce warms my heart in a Patrick O'Brian novel, but when I leave my homeport I don't want to have travel from here to Hawaii to get to Alaska because wind. I like to point the anchor toward my actual destination and take the most direct route.

Since I was a kid I figured the next real world application of commercial sail would involve space travel using the 'solar winds' we still don't know much about. I would have thought in the intervening decades we would have gone farther along in exploring those possibilities, but we got facebook and 57 genders instead.
    1973 Grand Banks 42