Thread: Laurent Giles Vertue general question

Default Laurent Giles Vertue general question

I read an old article the other day describing that the early Vertues would point upward with an engine, "A heavy engine soon has a Vertue pointing her shapely nose snootily into the sky." Apparently, there was a subsequent modification to account for an inboard. I'm curious from the experts out there if this design modification happened at the same time as the post-war, larger freeboard change, or if it occured at another point along the Vertue timeline. No urgency, just a bit of an academic question, and I'd rather not disturb the good folks at Laurent Giles Archive.

Default Re: Laurent Giles Vertue general question

L1010261.jpgHello Doctor B, Thelma and I built our Vertue no 167 25 years ago, we installed a Yanmar 1GM10 single cylinder engine weighing 65kgs. We installed the house batteries under the V berth and that resulted in her floating very close to her lines. After loading up with all our cruising equipment we are now down on the lines by about 60mm. Without the mast and anchor chain she certainly floats high in the bow.

Bruce

How do you find the 1GM10s power with the Vertue?

Nice picture, btw

I put a Beta 16 in our H28 and saved a lot of weight as well as gained an extra amount of power and efficiency over the old
    engine I had.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-03-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Jay,
    If you don't mind me asking, what engine did you remove? Beta16 seems like you'd get to 5kts at around 1400rpm. Is that anywhere close?

Regarding saving weight, Venture's massive Lathrop has been at Mystic Seaport since being replaced with a 3HMF30 back in 1980. Prolly saved 500#
    Last edited by DoctorB; 10-01-2020 at 03:45 PM.

The Beta gives us about five and a half knots at 1400 rpm. We had a Universal Atomic Diesel model 20 which weighed 425 pounds and put out 16 hp. The Beta16 weighs 209 pounds is smoother running than the old Atomic and quieter to boot.
    We like it a lot!
    Jay

L1010257.jpgThis is our 1GM10 installation in our Vertue no167 Tui of Opua. We have had it for all of the 26 years and has 3300 hours on it . With the 3 bladed 14 x 12 propellor we fine it totally ok. We make 5 knots at 2600rpm with a clean hull. The fuel consumption is between 500 and 600 ml/hour. We should allways remember the the Vertue is a sailing yacht not a motor sailor

Bruce

That installation looks perfect Bruce. Well done. Lovely pictures too. Did you build her in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Morley View Post
    L1010257.jpgThis is our 1GM10 installation in our Vertue no167 Tui of Opua. We have had it for all of the 26 years and has 3300 hours on it . With the 3 bladed 14 x 12 propellor we fine it totally ok. We make 5 knots at 2600rpm with a clean hull. The fuel consumption is between 500 and 600 ml/hour. We should allways remember the the Vertue is a sailing yacht not a motor sailor

Bruce
    Wow, spotless!
    I am just swopping a 2GM20 for a Beta 16 on a Jeanneau. Had some teething troubles with mountings and flange matching, so not a direct swop, as expected..

The 1GM10 is such a nice little package.

The only mods that I have done to the Yanmar was to install a smart alternator regulator and reduce the diameter of the alternator pulley, this increased the speed of the alternator by 30%. One thing I did when I received the 1GM10 from the supplier was to check all of the specs and record . The next thing i did was to dismantle the whole engine clean each of the parts. I also increased the cross hatching in the bore to would allow the piston rings to bed quicker. I then reassembled the engine in a clean room, repainted and applied 4 coats of clear lacquer. I spent some time to get the injector timing spot on.

The two black handles in the top of the photo are the fuel valves, RHS port and starboard fuel tanks and LHS fuel on/off. All the fuel pipe plumbing is 1/4 inch stainless tube to minimize the fire risk.

Bruce

Hi Gareth, No my Thelma and I built Tui of Opua in Toronto NSW Australia over a 12 year period. I first built a large shed in the backyard of our house. Both Thelma and I Bruce continued to work durind the building. I would sometimes be away for up to 12 months at a time, progress was slow during those times. I'm not a boat builder (communication technicial officer ) and Thelma was a nursing sister at the local public teaching hospital. This is our first boat building project.

Bruce