Thread: A completely trivial post. Do you prefer ‘Seven Samurai’ or ‘The Magnificent Seven’?

Default A completely trivial post. Do you prefer ‘Seven Samurai’ or ‘The Magnificent Seven’?

One is black and white and one is in colour. The Western remake follows the plot very closely. I used to prefer the Kurosawa original but I’m coming to think that the Western is a very fine film also.

I refer to the 1954 and 1960 films of course.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Default Re: A completely trivial post. Do you prefer ‘Seven Samurai’ or ‘The Magnificent Seve

Hard to say; each informs and enriches the other. Seeing both is synergistic. Do cinemas show them as a double bill?

Default Re: A completely trivial post. Do you prefer ‘Seven Samurai’ or ‘The Magnificent Seve

Tough call, ACB!

I just viewed Kurasowa's original a few weeks back and it is a great film. But, so is Sturges's western.

I'll have to get back to you with a decision. This requires rumination.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I do prefer the Kurosawa, although I recognise the quality of the Western.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I must admit I have never seen the Seven Samurai. I need to make a point to do so. I will then be able to answer the question. But the The Magnificent Seven is one of the very best films ever made IMO. So well done.

The Seven Beauties...

Both are excellent. Hard to choose, but I do love Kurosawa.

On the same note -- Hidden Fortress or Star Wars (New Hope)?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    The Seven Beauties...
    Yes!

In university film club, I ran them as a double feature. And it's how I met my now ex. It seems that each actor in the western was angling for the role he actually got.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    In university film club, I ran them as a double feature.
    jesus Ian, 413 minutes of film. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

The score for “Magnificent 7” is a classic.

The Algorithm Is Watching

The Magnificent Seven. Because good westerns are a rare offering these days.

let us not forget the steampunk anime classic, ​Samurai 7

The Airhead 7.

I shot some of this on a camera setup i created that helped inspire Nick Woodman to make a GoPro version and launch his company. Nick is now rich and I have a few old video films.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 09-09-2020 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nrs5000 View Post
    Both are excellent. Hard to choose, but I do love Kurosawa.

On the same note -- Hidden Fortress or Star Wars (New Hope)?
    These days? I don't mind. Boorman bought Arthurian Myth back to life with a new audience with his reworking of Excalibur. Do I love the myth, or his film? Both are great in their own way. "Keep telling the stories" is enough!

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

I think I give Seven Samurai best on direction. As Kurosawa said, The Magnificent Seven “isn’t a version of Seven Samurai”. Sturges’ direction and cinematography is not at all like Kurosawa’s and does not attempt to imitate it. Sturges is using the “grammar” of conventional Westerns, and in this he was probably right. He had to reach an audience used to Westerns.

Also, the leading role in Seven Samurai is the Toshiro Mifune part (the peasant pretending to be a Samurai) which Mifune more or less invented for himself, with Kurosawa’s entire approval and encouragement, “because a film about six samurai was boring”. In The Magnificent Seven, the leading role is Yul Brynner’s Chris. The structure of American society in the 19th century did not allow for an equivalent role so Sturges makes him into the greenhorn, and gives him the love interest.

But when it comes to the acting I think (Mifune always excepted) it’s the other way round. Of course, Kurosawa’s exaggerated blocking and the use of black and white made it harder for his players to use the sort of small gestures that Brynner was so good at.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    I think I give Seven Samurai best on direction. As Kurosawa said, The Magnificent Seven “isn’t a version of Seven Samurai”. Sturges’ direction and cinematography is not at all like Kurosawa’s and does not attempt to imitate it. Sturges is using the “grammar” of conventional Westerns, and in this he was probably right. He had to reach an audience used to Westerns.

Also, the leading role in Seven Samurai is the Toshiro Mifune part (the peasant pretending to be a Samurai) which Mifune more or less invented for himself, with Kurosawa’s entire approval and encouragement, “because a film about six samurai was boring”. In The Magnificent Seven, the leading role is Yul Brynner’s Chris. The structure of American society in the 19th century did not allow for an equivalent role so Sturges makes him into the greenhorn, and gives him the love interest.

But when it comes to the acting I think (Mifune always excepted) it’s the other way round. Of course, Kurosawa’s exaggerated blocking and the use of black and white made it harder for his players to use the sort of small gestures that Brynner was so good at.
    This smacks of Three Musketeers and D'Artagnan!

As to the question, impossible choice.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    This smacks of Three Musketeers and D'Artagnan!

As to the question, impossible choice.
    Thanks; that is a nice parallel, which I had completely missed.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

7 of one, half dozen of the other.

Actually I've seen neither but will look for both on Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge;[URL="tel:6271135"
    6271135[/URL]]7 of one, half dozen of the other.

Actually I've seen neither but will look for both on Netflix.
    I haven’t seen either, either. I really liked “Ran”, one of the few movies I’ve seen twice.

Both excellent films. I love Eli Wallach as the Bandit Leader, and of course Mifune, who is superb.

One of my favorite scenes from Magnificent Seven is when Charles Bronson, who’s name is Robert, tells some boys to call him Roberto, since he decides to no longer hide his Mexican heritage. Bronson gets shot, and as he lays dying the boys run up to him. “What’s my name?” Bronson asks. “Roberto, Roberto!”

Ralphie

Hmmm, I hadn't noticed that Andrew specified the 1960 release of TMS, I had the latter in mind when I answered. My answer still stands, but now the western in question is an even better one.

I have to go with Kurosawa today, but I would have chosen the Magnificent Seven had the question been asked about thirty years ago. I saw both films back in the 60s, and preferred the Magnificent Seven at the time. Then I watched Rashomon about ten years ago, also by Kurosawa and starring Toshiro Mifune, and I watched Seven Samurai again, now I'm hooked on classic Japanese film.
    Structures uninformed by geometry tend towards the ramshackle.

If you like ”Ran” start with “Seven Samurai”.

If you like Westerns, start with “The Magnificent Seven”.

Keeping in mind that Kurosawa was a really knowledgable enthusiast for the Western genre.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Kurosawa was a fan of westerns, to such an extent that for years I believed the tale that he took the plot from "The Seven Samurai" from a Louis L'Amore novel. Many of the Seven's themes appear in various novels but not the plot. Kurosawa was brilliant a taking great plots - "MacBeth" to "Throne of Blood" for example. He one of the great global, well past imprisoned in his own culture, artists.

Sadly, today he would be deeply suspect, and bedeviled by criticisms of "cultural appropriation." Consider the deprivation to global culture had Kurosawa been chastised that way in his time.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I like both. Not sure how comparable they are.

For gritty shoot-em-up westerns, I'll take The Wild Bunch.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

andrew, you're a bastard
    due wholly to your 'completely trivial question'
    i have watched both films this week over three misspent afternoons
    accomplishing no house chores or cooking over the last two days
    how can one cook and clean during a subtitled movie?
    having earned the ire of my loverly wife
    my conclusion, this is preposterous, there is no contest
    neither, both
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 09-11-2020 at 07:24 PM.

I look forward to sharing your fate, Paul.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

neither, both
    Very Zen of you, Paul.

Mu.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Be patriotic, save the country: next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level, they are all #Complicit.

Seven Samurai, X
    Magnificent Seven, 10

Hidden Fortress, 9
    Original Star Wars (before any post-release edits), 8; for each edit, reduce score 1 point.
    Await dreams, loves, life; | There is always tomorrow. | Until there is not.

Grieving love unsaid. | Tomorrow will fail someday. | Tell them today, OK?

I liked both for different reasons but that was a very long time ago. Old westerns do not shape up very well these days.
    My choice now would be Kurosawa, and in monochrome.

If there was a poll I would have voted for Seven Samurai.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I am ashamed to say that I have not yet seen Seven Samurai.

But on its own merits... "We deal in lead, friend." And the Elmer Bernstein score, a masterpiece.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.