Thread: Canada weather radio cancelled

Default Canada weather radio cancelled

Environment Canada is cancelling the standard national VHF marine weather radio broadcast in a few months. There does not seem to be an obvious replacement unless the vessel has access to WIFI or equivalent when it is on the water, which most ordinary boaters certainly don't. Perhaps Sirius satellite would be an expensive (?) alternative?

Anyone know anthing about this, and/or have ideas for an affordable replacement?

Thanks, Tony.

Default Re: Canada weather radio cancelled

Well, I guess that means I don't have to replace my long-gone VHF before my next Canadian cruise!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

That is unfortunate. I have relied on those broadcasts many times.

So, if you're way up on the Inside Passage, what exactly are mariners supposed to use for weather guidance? Maybe they will issue a rock on a string that you can tie off your bow? If it is wet- rain is expected. If it is swaying, it will be windy...

"Environment Canada is initially targeting areas that have good internet and cell coverage to review radio usage..."

But seriously, here's an article from CBC.
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

great quote. I wonder if they missed the Irony

"There may be power to the transmitter, but we won't be getting information onto it, because we rely on internet to get it there, so it isn't a reliable source of information when those services go down."
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Is Trump president in Canada now?
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Nothing to do with Trump, just idiot Liberals in Ottawa., with their heads in the clouds as always.

Tony.

Your thread title is a bit misleading Tony. They're asking for our opinions regarding closing some of the stations in Cape Breton. Looks like you dislike liberals in general perhaps?

One more: If the rock is gone, you're in a GALE. We just got both a ship's license as well as an operator's license in the US just so our VHF and MMSI would be legal in Canada. How long before they quit MMSI?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bateau View Post
    So, if you're way up on the Inside Passage, what exactly are mariners supposed to use for weather guidance? Maybe they will issue a rock on a string that you can tie off your bow? If it is wet- rain is expected. If it is swaying, it will be windy...

"Environment Canada is initially targeting areas that have good internet and cell coverage to review radio usage..."

But seriously, here's an article from CBC.

I used the radio weather service many times this summer. We often had no cellphone service, and do not have satellite data on Drake.

This was on a circumnavigation of Georgian Bay, not way in the boonies.

I suspect that it's the future, yes, but the broadcasts should not be dropped yet.

Stupid to even consider.

each transmitter costs about $12,000 a year.
    If each one saves a life - how does that compare to the costs of a rescue by helicopter? 1/10th? 1/100th?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    Your thread title is a bit misleading Tony. They're asking for our opinions regarding closing some of the stations in Cape Breton. Looks like you dislike liberals in general perhaps?
    Yes, I learnt about the Cape Breton situation this morning, The announcement I heard yesterday at the end of a VHF forecast stated baldly that "this service' will be discontinued within six months. Perhaps they did not mean to say what they did actually say? Stranger things have happened. And no, while I dislike Trudeau, I am more opposed to centralised (and out of touch) bureaucracies generally, than the current Liberals in particular.

Tony.

The saga continues. They are closing "A transmitter" (apparently only one in my area, Southern New Brunswick), and stopping the forecasts coming from it. Somehow, the individual mariner is supposed to know which transmitter he is listening to, and thus what forecasts it issues. I don't of course. All one knows is the VHF channel (2 or 3 typically, round here), not the hardware behind it. More information to follow as I keep digging, but the situation is probably much less severe than it first appeared.

Tony
    Last edited by Tonyr; 09-08-2020 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks for the heads up Tony. More than once I've been glad that I listened to and heeded the forecast out on the outside of Vancouver Island.

I'm pretty much illiterate when it comes to all of those abbreviations for electronic gadgetry and don't have or want a cell phone. I do know what GPS and VHF mean though. That's probably all that I need, has been so far anyway. I hope "they" don't take it away.

I'm glad you don't disapprove of liberals in general. That's somewhat hypocritical of me since I so strongly disapprove of conservatives.

It's a great service for me when cruising north of Desolation Sound. I will add my voice to any urging it's continuation. / Jim