Thread: Wood & Steel

Default Wood & Steel

IMG_0437.jpg
    Live peacefully next to each other.
    Sneek innertown harbor 9/5/2020

Default Re: Wood & Steel

Nice boats, nice picture. Tell us more about them please.

Is one rusty steel and the other painted wood?
    Or the other way around?

Nice pic, thanks.
    I find the two very different bow styles interesting.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

The one in front is a "opduwer", in fact a very small tug. These boats were used in the first half of the 20th century to push the Dutch sailing barges around in harbors, locks and during windless periods. They usually have a large diesel inboard engine (15-25 hp). A lot of these small working boats still sail around in the Netherlands, the owners nurse them like babies.
    Opduwer_bij_Hassailt_2007.jpg
    An "opduwer" at work.

The wooden boat is a Grundel, a type of ship designed for the Dutch inboard lakes and canals. Originally used by farmers as a hard chined/flat bottomed working boat under sail. It evolved into a small wooden yacht. This type of yacht was cheap to built and popular in the 1950-1970 period, later on they were built in steel as well. The Grundel was used on lakes and canals close to the windy shores of the North sea and although this was inshore water the waves could become steep and high, the distinctive bow really was a necessity. This one is built in European oak of sturdy dimensions.
    The working boat type usually had a bermuda style mainsail and sometimes no jib. The yacht type usually had a sloop rig with a gaff.

034_Grundel_10.jpg
    A working style Grundel.

I used to keep my boat on a mooring in Wickford Rhode Island across from the wooden Dutch sailing ship Brandaris. Well mostly wood, I heard she has a steel hull. Reportedly she pulled 330 British soldiers off the beaches of Dunkirk back in the day. She would take charters out we would always wave at the groups of eager passengers.

A few years back she failed her Coast Guard inspection (the hull was too thin) and she was sold and shipped back to the Netherlands.

She was beautiful with her lee boards.

Hey PP, you might show them a bit more, like the 'Sneker Pan', the 'Waterpoort'. I went to the 'Bogerman College' when I blew it in Leeuwarden at school. I have good memories of the city. Or perhaps some 'Skutsjesilen'? Frank

Doseren FF

here's a very cool clip with a bunch of these little boats tooling around on a museum festival day:

Very fun looking little boats. I am guessing that more time is spent working on the engines than the boats.