Thread: Rowing the Caledonia Yawl

Default Rowing the Caledonia Yawl

You may be asking why anyone would want to row a Caledonia Yawl. Common opinion is they do not row well.

I got some new oars and wanted to see if they make a difference.

I bought a pair of 10.5 ft Sitka Spruce oars from Tom Reagan Grapeview Point Boat Works. These are beautiful spoon blade oars with weighted grips.

Under ideal early morning conditions, no wind water like a mirror, I rowed a three mile route. GPS tracker shows I averaged 2.7 mph rowing at an easy pace.
    I found that the boat actually rows surprising well. It tracks and glides great, even with my dog moving around.

I do think good balanced oars make a difference. I also added a foot brace, which still needs some refinement.

Obviously rowing the Caledonia Yawl would be more difficult with wind. I rowed while calm and raised my sail into the wind.

IMG_3265 (2).jpg

IMG_3261 (2).jpg

Default Re: Rowing the Caledonia Yawl

Is that what they mean when they say "Dog watch"?

Nice boat!

Your flotation looks interesting. Under the rails. Could you elaborate?

Bluedog,

I have 4 CrewSaver 9" x 58" buoyancy bags. I sewed a simple nylon cover with tabs to tie the bags to pad eyes under the side seats. The four bags give me about 530 lbs of buoyancy.

Thanks. Looks nice. I have a Sea Pearl that folks say is impossible to right once turtle. I had similar flotation in a similar location, plus bags under the deck bow and stern. She righted easily. Have you done any capsize tests?

Yes, I am a strong believer in practicing capsize and recovery. The boat rights easily and can be bailed quickly using buckets and a high volume 12v bilge pump. I stow a 33 aH gell cell battery secured to the floor at the base of the mast.

The CY sails in the lightest of zephyrs. I was very surprised how well they ghost along leaving many other designs in their wake. I rowed one quite a bit with two sitting on the rowing thwart side by side.

I agree with your assessment. If there is no wind my CY rows just fine, not like a for real pulling boat or the smaller Oughtred double enders I expect, but pleasant enough for a bit. And if there is wind, well then ya sail. And if it is really blowing to the point I don't feel comfortable sailing well then there is the angry cricket I stow under the rear thwart. I tried rowing upwind once in about 15 kts and all I could do was stay in place until I decided I did not really need to go there.

I agree that the Caledonia Yawl sails very well in light air. I have the balanced lug and mizzen sail plan. The main balanced lug is a generous size!

I mainly sail high elevation reservoirs which typically have light morning winds and much stronger and shifting afternoon conditions.

I start out in the AM with no reef and take in at least one reef for the afternoon and evening conditions.

An update on rowing the CY. I recently participated in the Salish 100 which gave me a better appreciation for rowing, especially on a calm morning.

I just returned from a trip to Flaming Gorge which has a very good Kokanee fishery. I rowed and trolled for Kokanee in the early AM. I have a downrigger to get my lure to proper depth. I use a GPS fishfinder to help identify depth and location to fish. Rowing about 1.5 to 2.0 mph seemed to work best.

My dog and I enjoyed fresh fillets fried in a cast iron pan with butter.

IMG_4682.jpg

Flaming Gorge! I was just looking at the boat ramps there. How is the weather for sailing? I'd guess with the altitude and terrain a guy would be kept pretty busy keeping up with the wind direction and velocities.
    Any suggestions for ramps?
    Thanks
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

Dropping the sticks is a nuisance but the air drag is considerable even it there calm. Carry them stickng out over bow or stern.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
    Flaming Gorge! I was just looking at the boat ramps there. How is the weather for sailing? I'd guess with the altitude and terrain a guy would be kept pretty busy keeping up with the wind direction and velocities.
    Any suggestions for ramps?
    Thanks

The water level is currently OK and the boat ramps are good. However, they are starting to let more water flow to try and save Lake Powell.

Understood. If I make it there it will have to wait till next year as I am having reoccurring issues with my eves. Only been on the water once this year, ugh.

If I was dictator (thankfully I'm not) I'd abolish desert lawns and other unnecessary wastes of water.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

How lively are those oars? They look like they'll have a nice flex to them.

I really don't notice much flex to them. They do have a good taper but they are strong. Tom Regan makes nice oars and I enjoy using these rather than some older oars which feel like clubs in comparison.

I visited Tom at his shop and can attest to the elegance of his oars.
    ♦ George Orwell

I spent the weekend sailing and camping. A weather front brought some rain and lightning, but the morning was forecast to be clear.

IMG_4899.jpg

I readied my CY for rowing only and left the sail gear in camp.

IMG_4925.jpg

The boat felt a lot lighter without the masts, sails and rudder on board. I streamed a trout lure and caught then released several trout near the surface. My dog gave me a dirty look after releasing fish, so I kept one Rainbow trout. I do not feel bad about taking it since Rainbows are planted stock in this reservoir. We enjoyed sharing it back at camp.

IMG_4926.jpg

A great day on the water.

I suspect your dog is the real star here - they are such wonderful friends :-)

Quote Originally Posted by neil.henderson View Post
    I suspect your dog is the real star here - they are such wonderful friends :-)
    Not such a good friend as all that; he's making you do all the rowing!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

But he's obviously watching very closely to make sure you're doing it right Looks like a great day on the water!

Nice. Great dog. Your boat's missing it's thwart knees?

Thanks for the comments. We love our dog, she is great family member. She is 13 years old, still in great shape and active, but more keen on being comfortable. It was raining while I setup camp so she waited until the tent was up and the beds were in place.

IMG_4900.jpg

Edward, the plans for the CY show thwart knees but I decided not to install them after checking with other builders. I used larger cleats for the interior. I find that this provides more room for seating and my sleeping platforms.

Yeah, i’m not sure quite how essential thwart knees are with unstayed rigs and glue lap either. Building 4 laminated AYC fitted and trunnel fastened was alot of work. Putting some shrouds on my IO Shearwater though so probably warranted and my mast goes through the thwart rather than the CY being secured into the gunwales.

I also dispensed with thwart knees in my Gannet build, but then I made narrow sidedecks (100mm wide) with knees & carlins so that made the hull very stiff :-) I have now started my CY build & would be interested to hear how many CY builders have dispensed with knees in theirs.

Regards Neil

Neil, You are probably already aware of the OffCenterHarbor.com video series on building the CY. Geoff Kerr does an excellent job in documenting his build with the 40 part video series.

The CY Geoff builds does not have thwart knees and he explains the strength of the hull.

I found this video series to be very helpful during my build.

This from video 24.

OCH.jpg
    Last edited by timber_cruiser; 09-14-2021 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by timber_cruiser View Post
    Neil, You are probably already aware of the OffCenterHarbor.com video series on building the CY. Geoff Kerr does an excellent job in documenting his build with the 40 part video series.

The CY Geoff builds does not have thwart knees and he explains the strength of the hull.

I found this video series to be very helpful during my build.

This from video 24.

OCH.jpg

Yes, I am an avid fan of Geoff's videos................