Thread: River of Grass

Default River of Grass

I find this boat very appealing I don't like the black sails but that is subjective cosmetic choice. This reminds me of a Wayfarer with a small top. The below waterline dimensions look very much like a Wayfarer.
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

Default Re: River of Grass

It has a muscular, function over form look. Reminds me of a Land Rover from the 60s.

From Facebook: We gathered a few small boats for the first sea trials of "Bluto", the first RoG 15 in Europe (and second in the world). Bluto had already been tried in fresh water on a lake, but it was a first in salt water. She is a design by J.F. Bédard of Bedard Yacht Design. A stunning 15 footer! Photos by Hervé Bellenger.

Last edited by davebrown; 09-03-2020 at 10:49 AM.

Maybe waterline and below is not quite as wide as a Wayfarer. I have a CL16 which is a Canadian version. By eyeball, the CL16 might have a wider, flatter bottom plank at the stern. The CL16 will plane in a variety of conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by davebrown View Post
    I find this boat very appealing I don't like the black sails but that is subjective cosmetic choice.
    More intriguing than the sail color is the form. I've seen square-topped mains before, but never with two long diagonal battens like this! Anyone understand what's going on here? JF Bedard's original design calls for pretty standard sprit-booms. Yet, Bluto appears to have a Hobie Adventure Island-style roll-up reefing sail. How's the airflow work across the sail? And no boom?!? How's that work out downwind?

bluto.jpg

Meanwhile, the mizzen is on a "regular" boom. I presume it's loose-footed to not screw up the camber, but why abandon the sprit-boom? Strange.
    Last edited by TomOdda; 10-05-2020 at 03:33 PM.