Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Vette vs. Cayman

Default 'Vette vs. Cayman

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: 'Vette vs. Cayman

I read that this morning. Was not obvious. And I didn't know the GT4 was back, that's good. But it was close.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

so the corvette was faster in every single performance benchmark but came in second to a car cost forty thousand dollars more due to how the cabin felt and cosmetic issues, seems like the dice were loaded
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    so the corvette was faster in every single performance benchmark but came in second to a car cost forty thousand dollars more due to how the cabin felt and cosmetic issues, seems like the dice were loaded
    You seem to have left out the largest factor. Did you read the word 'sterile' in there somewhere?

The other factor that would be big for me is aesthetics. The article doesn't mention it, but the 'vette looks modern - like it was designed by a bunch of teenage S. Korean gamers. The Cayman is more elegant and timeless.

But I agree - the 'vette was danged close. Impressive bargain!! If one could get over the embarassment of being a 'vette owner <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I would't vette on it...

There's more to driving pleasure than raw speed, especially when comparing vehicles that are both fast by any measure. Most of the time, you can't get past second gear on any modern high performance car without risking license and limb. That makes the most tactile and well bolted together vehicle the most enjoyable to drive day to day.

Also, try finding a Vette for $66K. Ain't gonna happen.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    There's more to driving pleasure than raw speed, especially when comparing vehicles that are both fast by any measure. Most of the time, you can't get past second gear on any modern high performance car without risking license and limb. That makes the most tactile and well bolted together vehicle the most enjoyable to drive day to day.

Also, try finding a Vette for $66K. Ain't gonna happen. Then too, for many it's not about fastest for cheapest, it's about most satisfying to drive.
    There you have it. Some even take that principle so far that they buy certain British or Italian marques... <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

And are delighted with their choice!
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post

Also, try finding a Vette for $66K. Ain't gonna happen.
    first year of production, this gm we're talking about

they'll be cranking them out soon enough; the subsequent z06's, zl1's, zr1's will be far from sterile

first year of production, this gm we're talking about

they'll be cranking them out soon enough; the subsequent z06's, zl1's, zr1's will be far from sterile
    And maybe they'll win some comparos at that point.

But then there's still the whole stigma thang...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

The Cayman looks better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    The Cayman looks better.
    Agreed. OTOH, the 'vette had a bit more 'trunk' space and is more brutal looking for those that like that. And clearly lots do. Kinda the way full size pickups keep aiming for more and more 'rugged' looks.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post

oh, you're one of those people who make decisions based upon what or how other people perceive you

Anyone else open this thread looking for another Florida Man story?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    The Cayman looks better.
    Ill take a 488 please

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Old dudes buying sports cars don’t care about stigma

oh, you're one of those people who make decisions based upon what or how other people perceive you
    Sure... that's precisely what I said...

Wait!!! bbbbbbbys... did you HACK Pless' account???
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Migod.

alligator.jpg
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

A number of years ago, I stopped for a red light and a new Cayman ran under my rear bumper. He said he thought that I would run the light. My Tacoma got a new bumper. Repairing his Cayman was over $5000.

that's the exact takeaway i got paul. "well, the vette is better at every single measurable but, PORSCHE WINS". total garbage. they make the statement on how the vette interior is MEASURABLE LARGER, but go on to say the porsche "feels bigger" and so it wins. a big FU to the writers of that turd.

Subjective comparisons are ridiculous, the only metric that matters in a comparison is performance.

The problem with these cars is that some people have more money than brains https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/ne...ealership.html
    Last edited by Boatbum; 09-03-2020 at 10:58 AM.

The vette, if you can get it anywhere near sticker, has always been the performance bargain. Best bang for the buck when buying new. I do not even mind the exterior of the vette. I do, however, hate the interior. GM has always had this thing for taking up valuable real estate with absolutely huge centreconsoles. The vette is mid-engined, it does not need that huge hump in the middle of the car. What is with the row of switches down the "spine" of the console?

Outside looks, I could take either. Engineering, I prefer the porsche. Interior (where you see the car the most when driving) it is hands down the contender from Stuttgart.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Subjective comparisons are ridiculous, the only metric that matters in a comparison is performance.
    Couldn't disagree more. I was spoiled in my callow youth by doing a bit of racing with a vintage Alfa & Fiat. For me, the more tactile and direct the driving experience - while folding in enough comfort to make for a decent daily driver - the better. It's amazing, though, how much better autos are these days, in almost every way, than back in those times. Heck, my sweetie's Honda Fit probably posts better skidpad #'s than either of my two 'race' cars.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

People buy HP, but people like torque.
    Torque is what makes a car more enjoyable on the street. It’s usable, accessible power. No need to rev the guts out of it, it’s always there.

I’d go for the vette. Never have liked them before, but the new one? Yes. I could get it serviced right here in town. The Cayman I’d have to drive over an hour to get to a dealer.
    The Cayman services are going to cost more, a LOT more.

The Z06 will be interesting, especially if it does come with the flat plane crank V8.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Or... for those who want something more 'practical'... the upcoming McClaren GTX SUV --

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Looks like a Kia.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter K View Post
    Looks like a Kia.
    Yeah kinda. More like a Porsche as drawn by their S. Korean design lab...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

And here am I thinking that a large, toothy local reptie had attacked someone's tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    People buy HP, but people like torque.
    Torque is what makes a car more enjoyable on the street. It’s usable, accessible power. No need to rev the guts out of it, it’s always there.

I’d go for the vette. Never have liked them before, but the new one? Yes. I could get it serviced right here in town. The Cayman I’d have to drive over an hour to get to a dealer.
    The Cayman services are going to cost more, a LOT more.

The Z06 will be interesting, especially if it does come with the flat plane crank V8.
    Too true.

My sweetie's driving style could best be described as 'zippy'. She loves the torque of the new hybrids & EV's
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I have to say Iíve seen the new Vette in person ( SoCal has many new ones ) its a lot nicer and smaller and more Ferrari like ( still too many creases and angels and the interior is abysmal), but as they say the bang for the buck has always been hard to beat.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Cayman = an accountants "sports" car. 😋

I'd rather not come to boating forums consisting of people who never have and never will own a true high performance car to get my automotive news and views but.......

Buying a first year production vehicle is risky. The C8 has many quality and design issues. In fact, sales have halted while they try to figure out why the frunk opens on its own at speed. Transmission woes are also being reported along with paint quality issues, poor panel gaps and so on. Judging anything never mind something with such complex use cases by the numbers alone is like judging a woman by her bra size. Straight line speed only matters in a drag race. In every other use case it is moderately to entirely irrelevant.

Many problems being reported for the C8. If you want top quality build, GM isn't usually the first place to look.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 09-04-2020 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by artif View Post
    Cayman = an accountants "sports" car. 
    Interesting assertion, but quite at odds with my impression. What makes you say it?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    I have to say I’ve seen the new Vette in person ( SoCal has many new ones ) its a lot nicer and smaller and more Ferrari like ( still too many creases and angels and the interior is abysmal), but as they say the bang for the buck has always been hard to beat.

finally seeing them around here now. they actually look better to me in person (and i already loved the pics). but man... with that new bronco out, i don't know WHAT to buy next.