Thread: Replace sprit sail with balanced lug?

Default Replace sprit sail with balanced lug?

Hello all...never one to leave well enough alone Iím thinking of replacing the 71 SF sprit sail on a 15í Devlin Egret with a balanced lug of similar size. Because of the amount of sail ahead of the mast on the lug should I be looking at moving the mast back a bit? I donít know of any magic formula to calculate how much. Am I overthinking this? Thanks.

Dave

Default Re: Replace sprit sail with balanced lug?

Great project. This is always one of my favorite parts of working out the rig on a hull. There is a formula but it is not magic. Some of the inputs are up for debate.

Lots of relevant threads already here on the forum. Like this one.

Possible useful - this article.

Isn't there a good description in Skenes of working out the CLR/CE relationship?

This video also looks relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

How does the boat balance now? If there's more weather helm that you prefer, then the sail change alone might be fine. And will the new sail have a similar size and shape to the current one?

I'd hang the new sail on the current mast and see how it goes. If it's all lee helm as a result, it might turn out that making a new partner against the back edge of the foredeck would work out well. Just eyeballing the sketches here certainly suggests that.

-Dave

Find the centre of area of the existing rig, and put the centre of the new rig at the same point.

John Welsford.
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Write Sam an email, and ask him to draw it for you. He's on vacation, but I'm sure he'll get back to you in a few weeks.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    Write Sam an email, and ask him to draw it for you. He's on vacation, but I'm sure he'll get back to you in a few weeks.
    I emailed Lee last week, his Egret expert and copied Sam. Guess I know why Sam hasnít responded. I think this is more in Samís wheelhouse.

Guess I should have been more clear. Am actually building the Egret now!

A standing lug might be closer to the sprit rig's center of effort.
    May not have to move the mast that way.

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Find the centre of area of the existing rig, and put the centre of the new rig at the same point.

John Welsford.
    That sounds fairly easy. Guess it’s not a huge deal for how I’m going to use the Egret. For longer sails I’ll use my Pathfinder! (No, I didn’t build it. But I did commission it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Great project. This is always one of my favorite parts of working out the rig on a hull. There is a formula but it is not magic. Some of the inputs are up for debate.

Lots of relevant threads already here on the forum. Like this one.

Possible useful - this article.

Isn't there a good description in Skenes of working out the CLR/CE relationship?

This video also looks relevant.

That article from the North Sails site brings up good points. As a one-design racer, I often find it interesting when people talk about a design's balance, because sailing strict one designs classes really underlines how much balance comes down to the way one sails a design. Take the most popular class (Windsurfer), the most popular dinghy (Laser) or the most popular yacht (J/24) and they can either be either ornery and hard-mouthed OR quite tractable - and yet they are the same design. The exact same Laser that person A cannot control can be handed over to person B and become a docile pussycat with either a bit of tweaking, or no tweaking but simply being handled differently. When the question is so complex, the answer can be all but impossible.